should all premier league games be televised? | Vital Football

should all premier league games be televised?

freundorfoe

Vital 1st Team Regular
Interesting article based around BBC interview with owner of Virgin Media who believes that TV sports packages are too expensive and don't show enough games. He's appealed to Ofcom about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35099081

He has ulterior motives and I don't see the model he's proposing working in the long run but if he wins I can see the premier league struggling to make anywhere near the same money from TV rights in future as they have from the BT deal.

Model that has worked for all parties in the USA - but much wider scale. The PL clubs have profited greatly over the past years and it's about time some of it back to the fans.... it happens already at the moment through the streamings.

I want to pay a fee to watch ALL Spurs games, even U21s.
And I want to be able to watch them live and also at my convenience from anywhere.

Imagine the discussions we could have if we could review the video as a group. I would be able to prove that none of you know WTF you are talking about. Instant legendary pundit. Neville would look a shadow of himself. :57:

I would pay to watch every Spurs game if the price was reasonable. If not, stream is an option I use these days.

So far this season nearly all our games have been televised, I think there's only been a couple that haven't. I get BT Sport as part of my broadband package and can pay £6.99 to watch us online (via NOWTV) when we're on Sky (if I'm not actually going to the game). But I think Spurdon is right, this level of televised football will kill the game..........I have to admit that there have been a couple of times that I've bought a ticket for a game (well, loaded on my membership card) and for various reasons have ended up not going as I can watch it on TV or my PC. Its not the same, but whereas when I was young everyone had to attend a match to see a live league game, people will just get used to supporting their team from the comfort of their armchair.....and that definitely wouldn't be good for the game.

80deg16minW - 15/12/2015 22:05

Do they have geographic blackouts in the UK?

Not as far as I know. Not sure of the situation in Scotland with regard to showing EPL games however.

'63Spur - 15/12/2015 21:52

So far this season nearly all our games have been televised, I think there's only been a couple that haven't. I get BT Sport as part of my broadband package and can pay £6.99 to watch us online (via NOWTV) when we're on Sky (if I'm not actually going to the game). But I think Spurdon is right, this level of televised football will kill the game..........I have to admit that there have been a couple of times that I've bought a ticket for a game (well, loaded on my membership card) and for various reasons have ended up not going as I can watch it on TV or my PC. Its not the same, but whereas when I was young everyone had to attend a match to see a live league game, people will just get used to supporting their team from the comfort of their armchair.....and that definitely wouldn't be good for the game.
:35:

With the advent of on line streaming - highly doubtful it will work - it doesn't work in the US either... think technology has moved well ahead of the bureaucrats...

spurdon - 15/12/2015 21:05

They will kill the sport the live audience makes the gam.

The atmosphere at games these days are shite.

With ticket prices going up every season, with train tickets going up every week, most people won't be able to afford to go mate.

£150 for me every game. 12 hour day, is that value for money? Is it feck.

spurdon - 15/12/2015 21:05

They will kill the sport the live audience makes the gam.

Could replace them with cardboard cutouts nowadays.

Sit down shut up has virtually taken over at all the so called big clubs and they're on telly the most, the smaller PL clubs are the noisiest.

ALL Premiership games should be shown and made available on Sky or BT whichever platform you have or if you have Virgin then you should be able to get all the matches on that. The more TV companies showing the games, the more revenue goes to the clubs. We should encourage all TV companies, satellite or cable, to show football. Whatever you subscribe to should deliver all football, the Premiership at least, the Championship as well if fans want it.

WHY SHOULD WE NOT GET ALL OUR MATCHES? IF people decide they can't attend games live, the club shouldn't suffer, they should get revenue from the TV companies. Offer live TV matches to everyone around the world that wants it and block every internet company that tries to show it illicitly. Encrypt the games tightly to stop the nonsense once franchises have been properly set up.

It's all about the fanbase. The bigger we are abroad as a club, the more merchandise we sell. We also need to prosecute countries abroad that fake merchandise. The continent, Asia and Africa etc sell loads of cheap fake shirts and things.

We simply CANNOT afford to buy in SKY and BT for games, it's way too expensive and companies like BT are using the competition for getting more subscribers at the cost of the football supporters.

ITS A BADLY THOUGHT OUT SYSTEM THAT NEEDS REVIEWING.