Shinnie pre-contract | Page 2 | Vital Football

Shinnie pre-contract

Or - alternatively - it’s what we can afford. Nothing to do with ‘ambition’.

Which CBs of ‘Championship quality’ would you list then to Paul Cook that we could A) Afford and B) attract to join a club battling relegation?

Fox would be an inexpensive option who would provide experience and much-needed depth in a position of need. He’d probably be able to help our inexperienced CB tandem home their craft in this league, and could step in and do a job when needed.

Since the alternative is currently no one due to having only two fit CBs, we are hardly in a position to stare down the nose at a viable, realistic option all because of some entitled sense of ‘needing to progress’.

Fact of the matter is we’ve been relegated twice in a row from the Championship and lie near the bottom again, and we need all the help we can get, especially since we have a thin squad that is susceptible to crippling injury problems at any given time. Progression is all well and good, but for now surely the only priority is ensuring we remain in this division. We’re not an established club at this level, and until we prove we can stop up in this league for more than a season, we’ll have to make do with the players we’ve got because those elusive and coveted ‘Championship standard’ players certainly won’t see us as a favourable destination until then.

The fact that we could possibly be ‘too good’ for a veteran player who knows this league like the palm of his hand is the type of naivety that led to our demise in 2015 and 2017. Let’s not repeat those same mistakes this time around.
did we not say the same thing for Buxton and we all know what happend with that donkey in the side

did we not say the same thing for Buxton and we all know what happend with that donkey in the side

I don't remember him being too bad, our defence was decent that season despite Burn earlier on in the season performing like Bambi on ice, it was our attackers that were awful, as well as our play makers. I even remember people slagging off Powell who was poor before he got injured, correct me if I'm wrong but I recall people were even booing him when he went off injured.

Edit - Just checked, we conceded joint 7th least that season, despite Burn being poor half the season and having 'donkey Buxton', but the joint least goals scored with a piss poor Rotherham

Last edited:
I don't remember him being too bad, our defence was decent that season despite Burn earlier on in the season performing like Bambi on ice, it was our attackers that were awful, as well as our play makers. I even remember people slagging off Powell who was poor before he got injured, correct me if I'm wrong but I recall people were even booing him when he went off injured.

Edit - Just checked, we conceded joint 7th least that season, despite Burn being poor half the season and having 'donkey Buxton', but the joint least goals scored with a piss poor Rotherham
Easy to not concede many goals when you’ve got 10 men behind the ball every game like we did under Yootha. Buxton was crap and is currently stuck in a lower level L1 team with a habit of conceding nine goals a game for a reason.

It really is a horrible spiral for a club who has no money in the Championship. Either stuck buying old players who have been ditched by mid table Championship sides that demand fat wages, or gambling on lower league talent which more often than not fail to make the step up.

Why I was happy with the Shinnie links, he’s a winner and has won games throughout his career. But my prediction as usual looks like coming true.

With Shinnie it may be the case he is prepared to wait before committing to a club. It makes sense to do that i guess if you put yourself in his shoes, we are not safe from relegation yet and if we were to be relegated then he would prefer to go to a team like Hull or probably Sunderland who will be playing at this level next season.

I feel Shinnie is one we wont get done this window tbh and that Championship survival could determine whether or not we get him.

Nixon says we are prepared to wait to get Shinnie on a free but may move if we come into money. I suspect Grigg would be that money.

That suggests we haven't got much money if we can't afford a fee for a bloke that's only eligible for another 4 and a bit months of league football.

I have looked into Shinnies career so far, apparently when joined Aberdeen from Inverness in 2015 he joined as a free agent. So what is stopping him simply waiting out his contract and going on a free in the summer like he did 4 years ago? He strikes you as a loyal player who will honour his contract so part of me thinks he will not make a decision on his future till the summer.

Personally LB is not a matter of urgency to sort out right now imo. Robinson is back in a few weeks, James and N Byrne can both cover there. Plus if we did pay a fee for Shinnie now he uld probably have to sit on the bench for 3 months as Robinson could hasve one of these play him or get fined loan deals.

It would make little sense to sign Shinnie for a silly fee now only to see him either sat on the bench and be unhappy for 3 months or playing but ourselves throwing away money in fines for ot playing Robinson.

Im happy to wait till the summer with going for Shinnie,he would then be coming into the the team with a full preseason behind him rather than coming in halfway through the season as that is always hard for players. If he signs for someone else in Jan for a fee, its dissapointing of course but i know Aberdeen will ask for daft money to release him now (they paid nothing for him dont forget).

Plus Shinnie wont be only realistic target we can aim for at LB in summer post Robinson there will be numerous other LBs out of contract this summer from Championship clubs plus potential loanees like Robinson from PL clubs plus other LBs impressing either in lower leagues or abroad. So plenty of potential targets for us.

Right now i would prioritise 3 positions, CB another body to replace Burn, a creative attacking midfielder who can chip in with goals (and potentially replace Powell) and another striker as i think both Grigg and Vaughan will be moved on soon.

Plus im weary of too many transfers and changes in a winter window once again, twice before we tried it and it didnt work. We need to avoid it happening a 3rd time. 4 transfers tops for me in Jan window, we are not at an Ipswich level of desperation regarding big changes to playing personnel.

I think it's one of those do we really need Shinnie right now to justify paying for a player we can have for free in a couple of months or do we think we can do without and use that money on someone else in the meantime now and still get Shinnie later.

I have no idea how good Shinnie is so can't really comment but I could see the logic either way.

I think it's one of those do we really need Shinnie right now to justify paying for a player we can have for free in a couple of months or do we think we can do without and use that money on someone else in the meantime now and still get Shinnie later.

I have no idea how good Shinnie is so can't really comment but I could see the logic either way.
Is Shinnie on Cooks radar?
Thing is can we trust that radar, after all look at the mess he's made of recruitment so far.

Given today's display King, I'd argue we need him or a n others now.