Sheffield Wednesday | Page 7 | Vital Football

Sheffield Wednesday

To be honest Wednesday put us under massive pressure and we made some uncharacteristic mistakes. I actually thought both sides played really well but lacked a finish.

Brilliant game

It's probably a lack of communication between the pair of them that caused it but I don't think your view of what was happening at the time is correct.
Max Power doesn't have a Sheff Wed player within 8 or so yards of him when he heads it. Had he just left it then due to the speed of the ball & how it would have bounced away, there's no way that either of those Wednesday players would have got anywhere near the ball before Amos
If Power had left it and Amos had carried on his run then he'd have got to it easily (outside of the box) & headed it or hoofed it out of touch as you see plenty of keepers doing week in week out.

Mind you, having said all that I'd agree that the best options were either what Power tried to do or let it go out for a Latics throw. What I suspect happened is that Power didn't shout what he was going to do & Amos did likewise & they ended up with that mess.
Power's other mistake from looking at the footage on skysports was that he never looks where Amos is. True I don't think a player should expect him to be where Amos was, but he should have looked before deciding to head it back
Amos's other mistake was misjudging when he should come out for balls hit over the top. The sweeper keeper malarky is supposed to be for when the ball drops behind your defence - that ball dropped square on Power's head & he didn't really have any need to be where he ended up

It sounds like Amos did call then, but Power either didn't hear, or didn't heed it.

See above KDZ ..... if Amos shouted, then Power should have left it, full stop. Amos would have got to it easily ............ though I do agree that the better option would have been Amos staying in his 6 yard box, and Power knocking it back, safely.

It was a different team (for us) though. It's like comparing an U23 or U18 result or performance.

I just watched the replay back again I think if Power leaves that and Amos keeps coming he could easily end up in trouble coming so far out. If Amos stops at the edge of his box and Power leaves it i think Johnson is coming in behind Power and i think he probably keeps that in at the by line. I think every other option Power had was far more dangerous than what he tried so he did the logical thing while Amos got it wrong.

That's my take but we'll never know for certain.

To Moonay it's not like the U23s or U18's as most of who will never see a minute of first team action, the majority of players from that Sunderland performance are in contention to be in the first team and will be expecting to play a significant part this season.

I fear your right Dragnet but some of us ( myself included) have been carried on the crest of a wave that has seen us go to the giddy heights of top of the table whilst not gelling as a team & are kinda thinking what happens when we do gel which in turn leads us to dare dream of bigger & better things than the play offs.....no doubt silly mistakes like yesterday dent us a little but hope is still there despite the long long season ahead & tough opponents like Sunderland, Sheffield & dare I say it noblot 😉

We're still 2nd in the league mate with only two losses so far and thats nothing to be sniffed at, remember where we were this time last season, i wouldn't swap it would you?

To Moonay it's not like the U23s or U18's as most of who will never see a minute of first team action, the majority of players from that Sunderland performance are in contention to be in the first team and will be expecting to play a significant part this season.

I get that, but that particular team (and more specifically, set of players) getting beat has no bearing - and is no reflection - on the performances and results of the "normal" 1st XI.

Note - Quite a few of the U23s were involved in that Sunderland game, and I'd wager that in the next season or 2, one or two, we might get back into the swing of bringing players through to 1st XI contention ... but that's a different issue.

I thought we deserved a draw last night and as someone has already pointed out, we never gave up and really pushed to preserve our unbeaten run which was great to see. I like the way the players are running off at half time and getting out warmed up before the second half as it shows a bit of desire. I think Saturday should tell us a lot about the spirit in the camp. Last night was frustrating so can we put that behind us against a Gillingham side who will have their tails up after a win last night. We will have to battle, so a good test of whether we can bounce back

Play for my local side on Saturday..?

OR travel to Gillingham where I've been 8 times, seen us lose 5 times, never win, and score FOUR (missed one having a piss I think).

Easy choice innit.

UTT.

James McClean could have got more in to the game. Look at the effort that Lang put in in the first half especially when we started to play after the first goal. McClean has even more pace than Langy but hardly had a run. He was weak last night and so was Darikwa on the left. It only livened up in the second half after their second too. Hardly a classic that last night but each to their own.
Another stat. 5 shots on target to their 4 in ninety odd minutes.

Play for my local side on Saturday..?

OR travel to Gillingham where I've been 8 times, seen us lose 5 times, never win, and score FOUR (missed one having a piss I think).

Easy choice innit.

UTT.
So what time are you setting off to Kent then?

Reactions: GSM
We're still 2nd in the league chaps. Other than the opening game, this is the manager's first loss (in the league). Lets not get overly concerned about him moving from his preferred system just yet.
I think the point is the better managers seem to be prepared to change systems, even mid game if the situation demands it.If that doesn't happen it makes it easier for the opposition to plan their approach.

I think the point is the better managers seem to be prepared to change systems, even mid game if the situation demands it.If that doesn't happen it makes it easier for the opposition to plan their approach.

Bloody hell Dudestalker, the bloke has had his team together for a couple of months, that's all. I reckon he's done superb to have em playing in a system that got em to the top of the league as it is, without expecting him to have a Plan B as well.

As it happens, the system we used on tuesday could very easily have brought us victory if a) we'd put away our glorious chances, and b) we hadn't gifted them their two goals.

I'm all for criticising the lack of a Plan B come the Spring, if we've been struggling to win games, and are hovering above the relegation zone. However, I think it's fair to give Richardson an 8 or 9 out of 10 for what he's managed to do so far.

Still can’t understand why we sign injured players. How did the lad from Cardiff pass a medical

I get the first point, but being injured doesn't stop you passing a medical - that all depends on the buying club, their needs, how much the club needs a player in that position long term, how long the injury will keep them out for & how long it will take to get them up to full fitness
That's why some clubs will pull out of a transfer after the results of a medical & then they'll sign for someone else

Why would you change a system that has brought us success in most of the games we have played this season ?

Also why change the system in a game that we statistically dominated ?

Why would you change a system that has brought us success in most of the games we have played this season ?

Also why change the system in a game that we statistically dominated ?
Ahh...statistics.
They can make you out to be best thing since sliced bread, or the worst thing since Bell bottomed flares.
From where I was sat in the South Stand and regardless of statistical domination, Wednesday schooled us...

Jack Wilshere still without a club. Pay as you play or short contact worth a chance to improve our midfield. 😋

He's already been Tweeted by the chairman if he fancied it i'm sure he'd be in touch.

Despite what he claims i think the reality isn't that he can't find a club - but he can't find a club at the level he wants who are willing to pay him enough money. Him trying to claim sympathy about his lack of options is going to be self inflicted and down to him being too picky rather than having no potential suitors.

I don't think he's injured, but he's not fit. He's not had a proper preseason.
He's recovering from an ACL injury, if memory serves me right.
I heard a Cardiff fan on Deadline Day say, he's due back playing again in 3 months, so I guess he should be back late November / early December ish.