Sheffield Utd v Manchester City - Premier League - Sunday 27th August 2023 - 14:00 BST - Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Sheffield Utd v Manchester City - Premier League - Sunday 27th August 2023 - 14:00 BST - Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Dark Horses or Whipping Boys
I always think that playing team that have been promoted very early in the season is an advantage to the new boys, but having said that City did play both these sides last season in the FA Cup and City having achieved 'The Treble' last season might just make the opposition park the bus early and hope that no-one moves it for the next 100+ minutes of the game.
City will be without manager Pep Guardiola after he had emergency back surgery this week so Juanma Lillo is in charge for the moment, but Pep will still have a big say in what he wants JL to put across to the lads, he is not Pep's assistant for nothing he is excellent at his job, when asked what input Pep will have, JL replied, " Everything. The contact is continuous, telephone, video call, everything". When asked why he came back, JL said " I'm an old man. Those are the upstarts. I'm coming back, I'm already on my way back so to speak. He's someone very special to me, not only in a football manner. I am here to be with someone who's been very important in my life. It's different. When I left it was more 'see you later ".
Manchester City's Match Day Centre www.mancity.com, which will start an hour before kick-off, will have City goalkeeper Ellie Roebuck, Gareth Taylor and Keith Curle will be special guests on the latest Matchday Live show, also offering their expert insight at half-time and in greater detail after the final whistle. They will also answer viewer questions throughout the broadcast, with audience participation actively encouraged on Matchday Live. To get in touch, send a WhatsApp to: +447537186538 During the game you can listen to live audio commentary from Alistair Mann and former City captain Andy Morrison

City Team News

Kevin De Bruyne and John Stones remain on the sidelines, Jeremy Doku is expected to be available, but probably in the squad rather than in the starters at the beginning of the game.
JL
on being asked about Bernardo, he said " Perhaps it's a question for the doctor but he's trained fully normal. I don't think he's ill and he's good to go".
Doku was bought not to modify how City play but to improve the player himself and integrate him into the system, I don't see him starting, but may come on later.
This week we sadly said goodbye to Aymeric Laporte, who is off to the sunny climes of The Saudi Arabian League, for a paltry transfer fee, we wish him well and thank him for his time with Manchester City.

Pep's XI or Juan's?
Ederson
Walker(C) Dias Ake, Gvardiol
Rodri, Bernardo, Foden
Alvarez, Haaland, Grealish

Match Officials

Referee:
Jarred Gillett.
Assistants:
Simon Bennett, Darren Cann.
Fourth official:
David Coote.
VAR: Simon Hooper. Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

NEXT
City v Fulham - Premier League - Saturday 2nd September 2023- 15:00 BST

Last edited:
Have we had Jarred Gillett before? I don’t remember him.
He’s Australian, so hopefully he will be even-handed.

Have we had Jarred Gillett before? I don’t remember him.
He’s Australian, so hopefully he will be even-handed.
Yes we have, is not without controversy

Premier League referee Jarred Gillett will be back in the middle this weekend, despite David Moyes claiming he 'shouldn't be near football'.

has a no clown rating so far

Last edited:
Yes we have, is not without controversy

Premier League referee Jarred Gillett will be back in the middle this weekend, despite David Moyes claiming he 'shouldn't be near football'.

has a no clown rating so far
A clean slate for him until after the game. :giggle:

Morning! :wave: It’s match day and as City face Premier League newbies it could be time for a fresh game for the 23/24 season……..”Sky Commentary Man City Trope Bingo!”

In this game VMC members get to see how early & frequently the Sky commentary team can shoehorn into the rambling drivel that passes for ‘commentary’ on the game, the standard narratives and tropes we all know and recognise:-

:detective: The number of touches of the ball by Erling Haaland
:detective: Haaland hasn’t touched the ball yet
:detective: How long Erling Haaland’s ‘goal drought’ will go on for (or how long since Haaland scored a goal) {1 PL match:rolleyes:)}
:detective: The cost of the players on the City bench v the cost of ……anything related to our opponents
:detective: The cost of the City defence v the cost of …..anything related to our opponents
:detective: City’s expenditure in the transfer window v the cost of…..you get the drill
:detective: The ’size’ of City‘s squad …..relative to that of their opponents (no club can have more than 25 but they never mention this)

Feel free to add any I may have forgotten :thumbup:

I forgot we still have Cancelo. Nobody seems to be beating down the door to get him.
It’s a small world. Word gets round. Maybe he has got a rep but also the ‘out of favour’ status means I think the vultures (No Money Barca) are hoping to bag a bargain as the clock runs out in the Tx window.