Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 14 Dec - 3pm | Page 32 | Vital Football

Sheffield Utd v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 14 Dec - 3pm

Their second goal Hause should have made an effort rather than stand waving his hand for an off-side. Mings would have seen the danger and reacted far faster. Both goals came from crosses to that side of the box and I don't think it's coincidence. We miss Mings.

Their second goal Hause should have made an effort rather than stand waving his hand for an off-side. Mings would have seen the danger and reacted far faster. Both goals came from crosses to that side of the box and I don't think it's coincidence. We miss Mings.

The coincidence is that no one picked up Fleck. That's on the midfield. Nothing to do with Mings being missing - he's been missing for a few weeks now compared with his form of last season and the start of this.

I see what you're worried about, GM, about two clear defeats, but not sure about the conclusions. Isn't it simply that two of the top teams in terms of consistency these seasons, teams which have an established squad and a well-honed way of playing, are clearly better than we are? And it shows in the overall match.

I thought we did fine against MU and Chelsea, even though we only got 1 point for it. Re Watford against Liverpool, we did pretty well against Liverpool.

I'd be surprised if the team wasn't in the dumps over the last two matches, But I don't think yet that there's a serious confidence issue. And we have three matches ideal for putting it right; I hope and expect come 31 December we're still out of the bottom three. We do need to improve, but I think we can.
Next 3 games will tell us a lot about team and smith. I'm going villa 0 saints 1 for the first one. Just watched MOTD and they looked better than us.

And bottom of the league for away points gained...or close to. The Arsenal giveaway was probably the worst. But it comes back to the lack of quality and game management. Chris Wilder sounds like he knows what he is doing. No excuses no bull. Just knows how to change things if it's not working and see games out.

Hi all, new poster but long time villa fan 👋

My thoughts on where we are at; Disappointed by yesterday, but we have to remember Sheffield United are a team in great form, sitting 5th in the prem.
vs Leicester and Chelsea, again losing but don’t think many would of expected much else..
vs manure, we showed we can step up and play at this level and tbh I felt disappointed not to of won. I’m sure most would of took a point here at start of the season.

So yes, we are in a poor run of form, but remember who we have faced. If we’d of lost the last 3 against Norwich, Saints and Watford I’d of been worried. 6/7 points from next 3 games is puts us in a good position. So let’s not give up just yet!

Stating the obvious, we really look like we need more up front. I was prepared to give Wesley a chance. He’s had his chance now and we can’t afford to wait so Dean needs to start looking at alternatives.

UTV

Dean looks a bit punch drunk at the moment and his selections are reflecting this. He no longer seems to know his best team or even if he has a best team. Luiz in Luiz out, Hourihane, Guilbert, Elmo, Trez, Konza, Targett the same. Could be they’re pretty well much of a muchness but it makes me feel Dean is losing his own self belief. He has stuck to one up front despite its complete failure over 17 games now. He had the chance to play kodgia alongside Wesley yesterday for the last 20 minutes but didn’t. We’re fortunate to have this league cup match on Tuesday to take the pressure off Dean and help him get his head together.

The way we start the 2nd half of games is pathetic and getting beyond a joke .

Make me wonder how the team talk goes at HT, that's 3 games running now that we have been crap but in the game at HT and we needed to up the level and within 5 mins we are behind.
I sadly suspect Dean is far too nice at HT and the opposition manager gives them a bollocking and says this lot are there for the taking get into them

Hi all, new poster but long time villa fan 👋

My thoughts on where we are at; Disappointed by yesterday, but we have to remember Sheffield United are a team in great form, sitting 5th in the prem.
vs Leicester and Chelsea, again losing but don’t think many would of expected much else..
vs manure, we showed we can step up and play at this level and tbh I felt disappointed not to of won. I’m sure most would of took a point here at start of the season.

So yes, we are in a poor run of form, but remember who we have faced. If we’d of lost the last 3 against Norwich, Saints and Watford I’d of been worried. 6/7 points from next 3 games is puts us in a good position. So let’s not give up just yet!

Stating the obvious, we really look like we need more up front. I was prepared to give Wesley a chance. He’s had his chance now and we can’t afford to wait so Dean needs to start looking at alternatives.

UTV

Welcome young sid, don't think you have to come on here and say nice things, you can say what you really feel, this is a great forum the best in my opinion.

Personally I wasn't expecting 10 defeats in the first 17 games and I don't ever expect to get beat at Sheffield Utd even if I knew it was going to happen. It's not because they have better players like Man city or Liverpool , it's because we aren't playing well at all

I really hope getting another striker in January is the answer because for me the problems look like they run deeper than that.

Unless said striker can create goals for themselves then I worry we’ll have more of the same with a guy upfront isolated and 30 yards away from his nearest team mate to help him.

I really hope getting another striker in January is the answer because for me the problems look like they run deeper than that.

Unless said striker can create goals for themselves then I worry we’ll have more of the same with a guy upfront isolated and 30 yards away from his nearest team mate to help him.

I think that's a big hope as well, hopefully, we had one lined up in the summer because if we are looking in January forget it .
It's been a pretty much a feature of this stupid 3 pronged attack
going back years, we've tried it under so many managers some using, strikers out wide, proper wingers and always the same, the bloke up front ends up on his own as the wide players have to spend too much time defending, which is alien to them

Make me wonder how the team talk goes at HT, that's 3 games running now that we have been crap but in the game at HT and we needed to up the level and within 5 mins we are behind.
I sadly suspect Dean is far too nice at HT and the opposition manager gives them a bollocking and says this lot are there for the taking get into them

I am blaming the players on this. Do professionals at this level really need telling how important it is at the start of the second half to keep things tight and to switch on . Does Deano really need to waste time spelling this out .
Its pathetic to be honest. Even in the Newcastle game 2 nil up and we start like idiots. Unprofessional.

I know what you mean Melon but do professionals need to be told anything, obviously they do.
I agree they aren't under 11's where you have to explain what left-back is and what he has to do.

Next 4 games are huge. Then I want a striker first day of transfer window. No time to mess about. Maupay was the answer, someone up top persuaded dean on wesley.
Not signing Maupay worse still watching him join a relegation rival is total negligence.
Starting to confirm we've don a Fulham.
Nakamba Luiz Wesley target all not good enough

Next 4 games are huge. Then I want a striker first day of transfer window. No time to mess about. Maupay was the answer, someone up top persuaded dean on wesley.

Highly unlikely we will get someone first day of the window. The selling clubs usually try to play it out until the back end of the window in the hope they can get more

Welcome young sid, don't think you have to come on here and say nice things, you can say what you really feel, this is a great forum the best in my opinion.

Personally I wasn't expecting 10 defeats in the first 17 games and I don't ever expect to get beat at Sheffield Utd even if I knew it was going to happen. It's not because they have better players like Man city or Liverpool , it's because we aren't playing well at all

Thanks Villan. I’m sure it won’t all be nice stuff, looks like we’re in for a long hard season..

we've done it with striker after striker to be fair.

Although, have to say, when he does get a chance, he doesn't look like scoring half the time. Confidence would go up if he got more service and got a few though.

As I mentioned last night, my internal shit-giving limiter is kicking in re Weskey as he's getting so much stick and I'm giving him plenty of it to the point where you start to think it isn't right.

That said, I suspect the reason so many are piling in now is because even when we were playing well, he wasn't really doing much - yes, at least he bagged a couple of goals but then missed that penalty and continued to look not very good overall.

Now we're in a downturn it just highlights how his net contribution is precisely zero and that's why he's getting the stick.

Unfortunately, that's the way football goes - we were just about able to carry him with goals coming from midfield and our goal tally overall isn't too shabby but if one or two other players stop contributing then we're not going to be a very good side with only 8 or 9 players on the pitch.

Ultimately, if you're a centre half then you know you're very likely to have an easy game when playing Villa with Weskey up front and if you know there's no goal threat up front then you don't need to worry about having a DM in front of your centre halves, they can press further up and close down space in CM because you know there's no real threat behind you which further adds to our difficulties in midfield - in that scenario, the likes of Jack and SJM are inevitably going to have a harder time of it.

All in all, it would appear that opposition managers have sussed us out and nullified our threat from midfield and that's a big problem if there's nothing up front. What you want to be able to do in a compressed midfield is have a player like Jack/SJM put in a killer pass in front of a running striker in the space available but Weskey is the slowest player I've ever seen in the PL over 10 yards so that option isn't on which means we're going to struggle to keep the ball under control in the opposing half and move the CMs forward with it.

Right now I imagine that Jack and SJM are both confirming their release clauses with their agents this weekend, not just because of the threat of relegation but because of the ludicrous amount of pressure on them every game as they have to carry the ball from penalty area to penalty area almost single-handed - this much effort over the longer-term leads to injury and we all know it - SJM may already be there IMO.

This is partly why I like Trez so much because he's *always* on the move and putting his foot in which takes pressure off Jack and SJM and despite the questions about end product from him his efforts have bagged him a few goals - would that it were the same from Ghazi who is constantly picked ahead of him FFS. When does Ghazi ever put his foot in or sprint into space to receive a ball? He hugs the touchline like his life depends on it, never makes a tackle and rarely beats anyone to put a decent ball into the area.

I'm a bit all over the place with this post lol but the gist is this - we are dysfunctional up front and on the wings and when opposition managers see that pattern they can adjust to take it into account and that inevitably means they can load up the CM and constrain our better players.

We need *something* up front, hell, just any kid that can run quite quickly would do right now, never mind finishing ability etc and likewise, we need people putting in a shift every game on the wings to also take pressure off our CM.

The way we start the 2nd half of games is pathetic and getting beyond a joke .

Our second half performances/winning position stats are certainly the elephant in the room re DS I'm afraid, over this many games there's just no way to point elsewhere.

The best I can do is suggest that he doesn't feel he has the players to change it up after an hour based on the current score and as many have said, it's always like for like, regardless of the game at the time.

I can't be 100% sure what's going on there but the negative spin would be that he's simply doing what has always worked for him in the past but at PL level/with these players it's not cutting it.

The only team in this league who don't need a Plan B are Liverpool but we're 11 players short of being Liverpool.