Sheffield United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sheffield United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Manchester City coach Juanma Lillo speaking to Sky Sports after the win over Sheffield United: "I think we played really well today especially bearing in mind how difficult games like these are.

"Thirty shots is a lot, especially in the second half we had a lot but not being able to finish the goal just at the right time, that made it more difficult as the game went on."

On getting the winner soon after Sheffield United levelled: "Straight after their goal we had another chance as well. Mentally this team have had seven years of preparation and they are very, very impressive.

"It is better to pick up these points but it is still early in the season. It is going to be a really tough battle this season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/66301994

Manchester City match-winner Rodri speaking to Sky Sports after the in over Sheffield United: "They are very narrow of course. They defend really well today and not much spaces. We missed the penalty but we kept trying until the end. When we score the first goal, Erling is a goalscorer and he scored for us. I think the mentality of the game we kept going and I score so I am very happy."

On the battle: "Sometimes football is like this, sometimes you score at the end. One mistake gives you a draw. We know the level of this league. We can draw, we can not make mistakes. This game was one of not many chances but in the end we win."

On his goal: "To be fair I just analyse a little bit them [Sheffield United] because they play so deep and a lot of attention on the strikers and wingers but not much attention to the midfielder. I shot six or seven times and I anticipated that one and finished that. I am very happy because I said at the start of the season I wanted to score more goals."

On Guardiola's recovery: "It is hard when you do not have your coach with you but he was in touch with the staff. For the lads it is a little bit difficult but it is ok because we have a conversation and sometimes we don't need Pepe here because of what we learned in the past. The most important is for him to recover."

On the season's first three matches: "It is a good start, after losing one final and winning the other one, the team is great. The rhythm is quite good. Three games, three victories, we have to keep going."

'City definitely still have the hunger!'​

Sheffield United 1-2 Manchester City
c36d53d5-68ee-4e90-88d2-1dd2795bb06e.jpg

Andy Hinchcliffe
Former Man City and Everton defender on Sky Sports
When you have excelled so much last season, won the Treble, you question whether a side would have the hunger to go again.
Well, this game has shown they definitely have! They felt stung by the equaliser and hit straight back.

'City definitely still have the hunger!'​

Sheffield United 1-2 Manchester City
c36d53d5-68ee-4e90-88d2-1dd2795bb06e.jpg

Andy Hinchcliffe
Former Man City and Everton defender on Sky Sports
When you have excelled so much last season, won the Treble, you question whether a side would have the hunger to go again.
Well, this game has shown they definitely have! They felt stung by the equaliser and hit straight back.
Wow. Praise from Hinchcliffe.

Wow. Praise from Hinchcliffe.
I know. Knock me down with a feather.
Still want his Everton to go down.
Given that he played for City he is disappointingly negative when he co conmentates on our games.
If I had known this I might never have passed to him in 2007 when I made my debut at the Etihad :whist:

Lillo also explained that Phil Foden, who came off the bench to set up Rodri's winning strike, had experienced stomach problems days before the game and that was why he did not start

Lillo also explained that Phil Foden, who came off the bench to set up Rodri's winning strike, had experienced stomach problems days before the game and that was why he did not start
This does not bode well for our next game.

A word of praise for the SU keeper yesterday. He made some excellent saves to deny Alvarez and Haaland.

On another note……before they started incessantly faffing about with the handball rule, back in the day - I am talking say 20 years ago - do we think there was as much controversy about handballs?

I was just wondering whether the penalty we we were awarded yesterday would have been given in times past when I always thought it was “has the player gained an advantage”? Thoughts? :shrug:

A word of praise for the SU keeper yesterday. He made some excellent saves to deny Alvarez and Haaland.

On another note……before they started incessantly faffing about with the handball rule, back in the day - I am talking say 20 years ago - do we think there was as much controversy about handballs?

I was just wondering whether the penalty we we were awarded yesterday would have been given in times past when I always thought it was “has the player gained an advantage”? Thoughts? :shrug:
I dont think so, the lad was going down putting his arm out to break his fall and I don't think it was in an unnatural position. the only thing was it did stop the cross to EH, but he missed anyway, so justice was done in an odd way.

I agree about the keeper he had an outstanding day, no chance with either goal, great cross by JG