Shaw Lane OB | Vital Football

Shaw Lane OB

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
See they've folded. part from them being bankrolled and us nearly playing them don't know too much but their owner wrote an interesting article about why the club is folding.
Rather pointedly said they had no support (more like the opposite from Barnsley FC and local council. They're never going to be a threat to Barnsley FC so not sure why they wouldn't, I think we have a good relationship with Lincoln U. Our PSF probably there biggest money spinner

I'm not sure what they thought was going to happen - did they really expect to draw support away from Barnsley? Spending lots of money on a football club without any supporters seems a pointless exercise to me.

What's OB, by the way?

Seem to remember more than one Barnsley supporter slating them. They tell me that the locals have a problem with the money man being a lifelong Wednesday fan. Think there was also some issue with another local team of a similar stature.

They had a vicious dispute with nearby Penistone Church as to who should gain entry into the non-lge pyramid.
They pulled out of a cup final due to a dispute.
They got thrown out of FA Trophy (as we know) but did their best to come up with spurious arguments.
Went to watch Lincoln Utd there in play-off. Definitely many more Lincoln fans there than locals.
A failed club all round that clearly the Barnsley public never took to.
(And no OB in their various names btw)

Clearly a sign that there's only so many supporters to go around. This club only formed six years ago so their demise has to be a warning bell to any other prospective owners. I also noticed that they had Damien Reeves on their books last year who had a cracking strike rate when he was at Altrincham. They must have been chucking silly money for their level to attract him at the age of only 32

Clearly a sign that there's only so many supporters to go around. This club only formed six years ago so their demise has to be a warning bell to any other prospective owners. I also noticed that they had Damien Reeves on their books last year who had a cracking strike rate when he was at Altrincham. They must have been chucking silly money for their level to attract him at the age of only 32

They’ve been paying top wages apparently for the last 3/4 seasons. £400-500 per week was the whispers, made it to the FA Cup 1st round. No different to Colne, R&D etc when the benefactor pulls out.

OB was just me with a senior moment. Can only think I was thinking of Friar Lane OB who no longer exist under that name !

Bit of warning here to the clubs who rely heavily on their benefactor if they get bored.
Few more kicking about who this could happen to.

I played against the old lincolnians in the seventies. Seemed to remember they were run by a pair of twin brothers called Savage . One played in goal I think , they were always falling out with each other.