Set pieces - corners | Vital Football

Set pieces - corners

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
Mention of 'turgid' performances under the Cowleys got me trying to think back, and whilst home games tend to merge into one unless something memorable, away days stick with me a bit more, but can recall two away games during NL Championship season that might fit the category, Solihull & N Ferriby. But something else I remembered that we won both 1-0, and in both we scored from corners if my memory serves me correctly. Does feel like an area we've neglected over last couple of seasons.
I had a look at how many goals our centre halves are scoring. as I thought that might give an indication of how we're doing from corners.
Montsma is the exception to the rule with his burst of goals at the start of the 20/21 season, but other than that Poole has 1 goal in 100 games , Eyoma 2 goals in 100, Jackson 1 goal in 70, Walsh 0 goal in 40 & O'Connor 0 goal in 20 (all in round numbers) , what's that 4 goals between them in 330 odd games.
Bit of an indictment on our threat and something if you're playing a tight game need to capitalise on as well as breakaways.

I think Solihull might have been a long throw.

It feels like we've definitely improved defending from set pieces this season.

I think there has been discussion on this before on this board but scoring goals from corners is much rarer than everyone tends to think. Doesn't excuse some of the poor delivery etc we've had, but the NL season was very much the exception not the rule.

I think we benefited then from:

1) teams not having tape on us or not able to do the same due diligence that full time EFL clubs are able to do. I think we lost a bit of our advantage on it even when we got promoted to L2 around our sneaky blocks etc

2) having players who were extra good at challenging for corners (like Waterfall).

I think we briefly had Montsma as an unknown quantity but those goals dried up pretty quickly!

A corner technique that seems to have disappeared from the coaching manual is that of the near post back header into the danger area. Think Colin Alcide who was master of it.

The stats need checking I think we’re one of the best defensively but one of the worst in an attacking sense this season. I don’t know how that can happen. Surely you dominate both boxes.

I think there has been discussion on this before on this board but scoring goals from corners is much rarer than everyone tends to think. Doesn't excuse some of the poor delivery etc we've had, but the NL season was very much the exception not the rule.

I think we benefited then from:

1) teams not having tape on us or not able to do the same due diligence that full time EFL clubs are able to do. I think we lost a bit of our advantage on it even when we got promoted to L2 around our sneaky blocks etc

2) having players who were extra good at challenging for corners (like Waterfall).

I think we briefly had Montsma as an unknown quantity but those goals dried up pretty quickly!
I agree it probably is, but you’d let me to think your centre halves could grab you a couple a goals a season though rather than none. And actually you would say we’re now a reasonably tall side

Mention of 'turgid' performances under the Cowleys got me trying to think back, and whilst home games tend to merge into one unless something memorable, away days stick with me a bit more, but can recall two away games during NL Championship season that might fit the category, Solihull & N Ferriby. But something else I remembered that we won both 1-0, and in both we scored from corners if my memory serves me correctly. Does feel like an area we've neglected over last couple of seasons.
I had a look at how many goals our centre halves are scoring. as I thought that might give an indication of how we're doing from corners.
Montsma is the exception to the rule with his burst of goals at the start of the 20/21 season, but other than that Poole has 1 goal in 100 games , Eyoma 2 goals in 100, Jackson 1 goal in 70, Walsh 0 goal in 40 & O'Connor 0 goal in 20 (all in round numbers) , what's that 4 goals between them in 330 odd games.
Bit of an indictment on our threat and something if you're playing a tight game need to capitalise on as well as breakaways.
Changed days from 2016-17 when Raggett and Waterfall scored 15 between them in one season. However, it isn't just from corners that we have a problem. The lack of goals from our defenders is exacerbated by the lack of goals and assists from our midfielders:

Sorensen 53 appearances/1 goal/1 assist
Sanders 45/1/2
Oakley-Boothe 18/0/1
Virtue 12/1/1
Davenport 2/0/0
TOTAL: 130 appearances/3 goals/5 assists

Ted Bishop has a good record with 10 goals and 7 assists from 53 games, although some of those have come while playing up front.

Changed days from 2016-17 when Raggett and Waterfall scored 15 between them in one season. However, it isn't just from corners that we have a problem. The lack of goals from our defenders is exacerbated by the lack of goals and assists from our midfielders:

Sanders 45/1/2
Oakley-Boothe 18/0/1
Virtue 12/1/1
Davenport 2/0/0

Ted Bishop has a good record with 10 goals and 7 assists from 53 games, although some of those have come while playing up front.

Think he scored two from right back too?

I think someone else may have mentioned it somewhere - is he worth a punt at RWB?

I was a bit surprised that Vernam took the set pieces on Saturday. I thought that was part of Max's role and he had been getting some praise for the quality of his corners.

I thought this when I saw we had had 7 corners at the weekend. Can't remember when we last scored from one.

A corner technique that seems to have disappeared from the coaching manual is that of the near post back header into the danger area. Think Colin Alcide who was master of it.
Murph was the original master of that during the 1987-88 GMVC season, with the likes of Sertori and Matthewson. I can't understand why this set piece tactic has totally gone out of fashion.

I thought this when I saw we had had 7 corners at the weekend. Can't remember when we last scored from one.

I'm struggling to remember one this season so you'd be back at Tom Hopper's in the final game of last season against Crewe.
Strangely though I actually think the delivery has been that bit better this season when Max Sanders whips it in. Not so many fail to get past the first defender

I'm struggling to remember one this season so you'd be back at Tom Hopper's in the final game of last season against Crewe.
Strangely though I actually think the delivery has been that bit better this season when Max Sanders whips it in. Not so many fail to get past the first defender
....but still no bugger gets on the end of them!

I'd like to see teams use more imagination with free kicks in particular. Surely it's worth practicing in training say, 10 or so different routines for FKs just outside the box. I like this one from Atalanta in the CL from last season I think :

I'd like to see teams use more imagination with free kicks in particular. Surely it's worth practicing in training say, 10 or so different routines for FKs just outside the box. I like this one from Atalanta in the CL from last season I think :

Fair point. When we were great at set pieces under the Cowleys they used to lear from set piece routines in other sports.

Sanders 45/1/2
Oakley-Boothe 18/0/1
Virtue 12/1/1
Davenport 2/0/0

Goodness me those stats are staggering.
This thread proves we have virtually no chance of our defenders or midfielders scoring or assisting goals. This means all our goals need to come from whichever 2 or 3 play up front. We can write off Vernam and Garrick as goal scorers at this level so that leaves Hopper, House, Bishop, Diamond and Mandy to score at least 55 between them which is usually the absolute minimum needed get enough points over 46 games.

Goodness me those stats are staggering.
This thread proves we have virtually no chance of our defenders or midfielders scoring or assisting goals. This means all our goals need to come from whichever 2 or 3 play up front. We can write off Vernam and Garrick as goal scorers at this level so that leaves Hopper, House, Bishop, Diamond and Mandy to score at least 55 between them which is usually the absolute minimum needed get enough points over 46 games.
A startling difference between Bishop and the rest; it surprises me to see some fans critical of Bishop, but calling for Sanders and Sorensen to get more game time.

Think he scored two from right back too?

I think someone else may have mentioned it somewhere - is he worth a punt at RWB?
You have to be a bag of energy for that role - Bramall, Edun, Norton-Cuffy - and I think Bishop would struggle in that area. He always seems on the edge of breaking down to me, so central/attacking midfield is the right place for him to get the most game time out of him.

I could also add that the three goals scored by those midfielders consisted of a jammy sclaff (Sorensen v Plymouth), a goal against mighty Bowers & Pitsea (Sanders) and a deflection against Bristol Rovers (Virtue), but that would make it sound even worse than it is. So I won't mention it.