Service Charge (Non Gills) | Vital Football

Service Charge (Non Gills)

RotherhitheGill

Vital 1st Team Regular
If beer is not already expensive enough, I have now been told that a local pub (not one I use, so cannot confirm) is now charging service charge on top, even when you just have pint :mad:

Last edited:
Is the "service" charge mandatory or voluntary ?

If the former it should be stated clearly, up front.

Plenty of traders have been caught out and challenged for extra charges that appear later in the process ( e.g. airlines) - and told to disclose at the beginning.

If voluntary - or not stated up front, I would refuse to pay.
(If things get tetchy, offer contact details and invite them to discuss later. Most won't)

If mandatory, perhaps don't return.

Either way, find a way to tell the trader that disguising the true, final charge is deceitful and poor customer relations.

Hopefully we aren't following the US and going to a service charge culture because staff aren't paid enough.

Pubs are a weird one as you wouldn't expect to pay a service charge but in a restaurant you would probably expect to add a tip.

What service are you getting if you queue up and pay at a bar ?

Agreed. If you’re getting a large round then get the barman/barmaid a drink too. But we can stop with the service/gratuity charge shit.

It used to fuck me off in USA paying a mandatory tip after receiving average/shit service. All because the restaurant doesn’t pay a reasonable wage as Mark said.

Hopefully we aren't following the US and going to a service charge culture because staff aren't paid enough.

Pubs are a weird one as you wouldn't expect to pay a service charge but in a restaurant you would probably expect to add a tip.

What service are you getting if you queue up and pay at a bar ?

I associate service charges with Europe, not the US. Big tip expectations though. Did 20 percent on a $140.00 bill last night. Service generally friendlier in Duluth than Canterbury but not in a way that would matter biggly.

I associate service charges with Europe, not the US. Big tip expectations though. Did 20 percent on a $140.00 bill last night. Service generally friendlier in Duluth than Canterbury but not in a way that would matter biggly.

Wow that's interesting - I always thought you even tipped the bar tender in the US (at least I do) and was always under the impression as that was to make up for poor salaries so tipping was expected.

Wow that's interesting - I always thought you even tipped the bar tender in the US (at least I do) and was always under the impression as that was to make up for poor salaries so tipping was expected.
Tipping is expected in the US. As Jokerman says, often big tip expectations. What JM means that what you rarely get here is a service charge, distinct from a gratuity, already added onto the bill. A restaurant may add an automatic service charge for large parties but that's usually it.

The bar at our ski place has a tip jar on the bar itself. People drinking at the bar or ordering at the bar generally put the change from their order in it but there’s not a strong expectation. Waiter service, even just for drinks, has a tip expectation. Of course there is an expectation of waiter service in US bars. Sometimes you’ll see the bar staff serving drinks at the bar and, if there’s no floor staff, galloping out to serve tables when they get the chance. There’s rarely the sort of bar pile up you get in a UK pub trying to catch the staff’s eye. I prefer the UK approach so long as it’s not a big round. You end up chatting with all sorts.

Tipping is expected in the US. As Jokerman says, often big tip expectations. What JM means that what you rarely get here is a service charge, distinct from a gratuity, already added onto the bill. A restaurant may add an automatic service charge for large parties but that's usually it.

Precisely.

To Mark: I’m not sure about poor pay across the board. Just like in the UK, there are some places you can do very nicely in as bar or wait staff. My wife funded a big chunk of her university education waiting tables at a golf resort in the summers and at a pizza joint in term time. That’s why she’s a tipping militant. Her mantra is -you hardly notice it; it contributes to a big difference for them.

Markinkent - Just added it for standing at the bar eg pulled a pint and added service charge. Might be a new trend.

I know that my local pays staff the London Living Wage (£13.15 an hour, I think).

The bar at our ski place has a tip jar on the bar itself. People drinking at the bar or ordering at the bar generally put the change from their order in it but there’s not a strong expectation. Waiter service, even just for drinks, has a tip expectation. Of course there is an expectation of waiter service in US bars. Sometimes you’ll see the bar staff serving drinks at the bar and, if there’s no floor staff, galloping out to serve tables when they get the chance. There’s rarely the sort of bar pile up you get in a UK pub trying to catch the staff’s eye. I prefer the UK approach so long as it’s not a big round. You end up chatting with all sorts.

I'm so jealous of people who live close to a ski resort. My friend in NH sends me weekly photos of different ski resorts he visits.

Thought they were the same thing. What's the difference ?

I'm so jealous of people who live close to a ski resort. My friend in NH sends me weekly photos of different ski resorts he visits.
Short runs always, and bad snow this year. But with season passes and a locker, we can go up after lunch, take three or four runs, have a beer and warm up, take three more, stow the kit and then off home. It is nice. Day tickets are about $80, so three outings and the pass has paid for itself.

Thought they were the same thing. What's the difference ?
I associate France especially with a service charge built into the final bill. In the US tends not to be, although paying by card at the table with would you like to add 5-10-15-20 options on the machine seems closer to a service charge.

One place where I stand at a bar to get a drink and always tip the bar person, is Belfast. The guys at busy bars in Belfast seem to have special recall, in that they will often have literally double-figure amounts of pints of Guinness "settling" on the bar before top-up and they know exactly the order of the queue and who is waiting for each pint/round - impressive folk. Busiest, most hard working bar staff i`ve ever had the pleasure of being served by !

Short runs always, and bad snow this year. But with season passes and a locker, we can go up after lunch, take three or four runs, have a beer and warm up, take three more, stow the kit and then off home. It is nice. Day tickets are about $80, so three outings and the pass has paid for itself.

Short Runs - you want to try Hemel snow dome !!!