Serge Insights on Jose | Vital Football

Serge Insights on Jose

muttley

Alert Team
Read this in the last week on Football London. Very interesting insights into the relationship between Serge and his manager. Thought I'd share.....

Serge Aurier has admitted that he had to bite his tongue when Jose Mourinho was criticising him in the dressing room before a big Champions League match.

In the Amazon Prime Video show All or Nothing, Mourinho was shown telling Aurier ahead of his first Champions League game as Spurs head coach that he was scared of the right-back giving away a penalty that VAR would pick up.

Now Aurier, in an interview with Soccer Stories - Oh My Goal, has given his side of that dressing down in front of his team-mates before the match against Olympiacos.

"In the past I would have responded directly, because if you're scared of me, you don't pick me," said the right-back.

"If you don't trust someone, you don't let them deal with your stuff, right? So if you're scared of me, pick someone else.

"So I was about to say, I swear, I was about to say it. 'Pick someone else!'"

"I promise you, I didn't tell him, because first of all, the coach had just arrived. He needs to feel that the group supports him. If I respond, it's not good. It's not good for him, who just got there, right before his first Champions League game.

"So there is also the pressure if I respond automatically, it sends a negative message to him. It means that if the coach talks to me I need to answer because he spoke to me in front of everyone.

"He has the right to tell me that I suck in front of everyone, and if it's true I will accept it. He has the right to criticise me and to speak his mind and I have the right to respond.

"However, I didn't respond because it's not the best moment, firstly, and secondly, in fact I grew up."

He added: "In the past, because I was hot-headed, I would have talked back right away.

"You see [my face at the time], I'm like this, I am processing it. No, to be honest, at the moment I was like 'what the hell are you doing? what are you doing to do? Do you respond or do you not respond?' But in my mind I said, let it go to cool down. There is too much going on around.

"If you respond by sending a negative message. You see, the coach just got here, he trusts you already, so I let it go. It was nothing.

"I would have said 'you're cute and all that but I came here from PSG, I had a reputation so I have to play'. In the past I would have said that. Many times I have accepted coach's decisions that I didn't like. In the locker rooms I was gutted. I knew that as soon as I went on the pitch everything was forgotten."

Aurier, who has been a regular under Mourinho, also gave his take on the Portuguese as a coach and how he may have changed to become the person he is now at Tottenham.

"What's good with him and what makes him a good coach it's that he has a group and he tries to create a nice atmosphere in it," he said.

"Me, like you, I heard what people said from the outside but it's not the same person that I see here.

"I also think with the sabbatical year he took,he questions his methods. We are all humans, so questioning yourself is not bad.

"Maybe he managed to erase his flaws. Today, regarding what I heard about him before, he is not the same coach any more.

"He is a bit more with the players and he hangs out a bit more with the players and I like that."

At Manchester United Mourinho reportedly clashed with Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial, but Aurier said you cannot apply other people's experiences to your own.

"They are people I know well , personally, they are like family," he said of the United duo. "Today you can't compare what he did before and now. I'm mostly concerned with what's happening in the present and what's coming in the future.

"Perhaps he doesn't have a good relationship with certain players and it hasn't gone well with others, but he is still a good coach.

Also, from the same interview but different article....

"When people know about football they know you can't play 150 matches and 150 good matches. One in 10 matches, I may play badly and people say 'no, you don't have the right',”

"But I do. I'm not a robot, it's not like the Playstation. It's not like pressing a button and things happen. You are allowed to mess up sometimes.

"So if Mourinho came out to defend me, it's because it was a period when I gave a lot and I was good. So yes 'Serge can mess up once, but he does it again, I won't be able to defend him, but he can mess up in one game out of 10'.

"It is the way the relationship works. I don't like being the coach's buddy. We are professionals. It means do your job, I'll do mine because if tomorrow the club wants me out because I'm not good enough, I won't take you in my suitcase.

"Same for the coach. If you have to be fired because the results are not good, they won't kick me out along with you. We both have to do our job and take our responsibilities.

Interesting to read Serge's thought process.

In that situation I'm not sure I would have responded in front of everyone. If Serge could have come back with a smart response it might have impressed Jose.

Something like.....I admit I need to work on that part of my game, hopefully you can help me. Being as you seem to think it's ok to shame an individual in front of his colleagues, you wont mind if I do the same to you next time you make a mistake ?

The bit that immediately caught my eye was the following

Mourinho was shown telling Aurier ahead of his first Champions League game as Spurs head coach that he was scared of the right-back giving away a penalty that VAR would pick up.

There have been a lot of comments from fans that Jose puts fear into his players which negatively impacts their performance.

For Aurier to sit here and feel that he has to bite his tongue sort of demonstrates that Jose's communication style is in question.

It also adds fuel to the fire on my theory that things have changed recently. Clearly the last time it happened Aurier felt completely empowered to bite back and "storm out", yet was back in the squad a game later. That perhaps shows that the squad have collectively shown Jose they will only put up with so much shit and it is Jose that needs to modify his communication style. I also think Levy has intervened in that process.

I'm hoping that strips Jose back to the great coach he is and the squad are re-motivated. I've seen some better things in the last couple of weeks, despite the results.

At least it seems that Jose was being honest with the “superstars. “
He told Alli that he was lazy at the first get together .

Mind you , he told the whole squad they had to be a bunch of €¥#ts
during the games .
I think they interpreted that bit wrong .,

How did they interpret that bit wrong?