Segregated areas | Vital Football

Segregated areas

Kentishimp

Vital Squad Member
Cannot understand why there was such a large segregated area in the Stacey West yesterday, both sets of fans put at either end.
This post from the Port Vale forum sums the situation up and needs addressing for the future.

"Held our own first half but poor in the second half. No point picking on individuals - it was a collective failure.

Can I say a word about the appalling stewarding of the game in the first half. The Stacey West Stand had several areas sectioned off with sheeting but the only home fans were miles away at the other end of the stand from the Valiants. As we entered the ground the stewards told us we coud sit anywhere and not to bother about the number on our ticket.

As kick off approached it was becoming very clear that the area allocated for our fans wasn't big enough. As a result people were standing in the aisles and along the front of the stand. The aisle next to us was completely blocked - dangerously so in my opinion. A number of Vale fans, including Carol Shanahan, were appealing to the two stewards at the front to remove some of the sheeting and extend the seating for us. One was heard to say, "it's not my decision to make" - (well get on your bloody walkie-talkie and ask the bloke whose it is you *****). The Police then arrived on the scene and the first section of sheeting was removed so that everyong could find a seat.

What annoyed me above all about this farce was that the two stewards in question, who were behind a small temporary fence, were doing bugger all to deal with the issue apart from sitting on a couple of seats and ignoring the requests of the the Vale fans whilst drinking tea. If their role is maintaining crowd safety then they both want sacking. If their role is putting maximum effort into causing chaos and creating a seriously hostile atmosphere, then they deserve a medal."

Can understand why the Vale fans were upset. Became obvious very quickly that the small allocated section wasn't going to be big enough. Should have moved the tarp before they did. Wasn't all ticket, so we have to accommodate those who came in comfort

The tarpaulin was moved and there was then plenty of seats available for the Vale fans......what's the big deal.
I've been to at least 2 games involving city where stewards refused to move the tarpaulin, at Peterborough and Darlington, so we moved it ourselves.

Just watched udders v mam city in the stand behind the goal the fans were seperated by one row of stewards no taupaulin! In the corner of the away side which almost meets huddersfields main stand were a few stewards and one row of empty seats.No metal fence like we have.
Arsenal has an aisle and a small fence!
Why are we not allowed similar? Is it the police insistence !?!

I have no idea but my guess would be that there's a pay off between the amount of segregation vs the number of stewards you have to employ and the number of police personnel you have to have inside the ground.

It seems like Lincs police hate actually policing at the football - we all know how underfunded Lincolnshire police are vs the rest of the country and maybe therefore lack of personnel makes a bigger police presence disproportionately expensive.

Could all be absolute BS but until someone puts me right they're my thoughts.

Skip155 - 26/11/2017 18:12

I have no idea but my guess would be that there's a pay off between the amount of segregation vs the number of stewards you have to employ and the number of police personnel you have to have inside the ground.

It seems like Lincs police hate actually policing at the football - we all know how underfunded Lincolnshire police are vs the rest of the country and maybe therefore lack of personnel makes a bigger police presence disproportionately expensive.

Especially if the police are from Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire.

As mentioned elsewhere, I saw a couple of their fans after the game who thought our second half performance was excellent and showed up all the weaknesses in their team. They were very impressed with how we got forward and particularly singled out Green and Bostwick for praise.

They were not at all complimentary about our stewards: "we only wanted four more rows of seats so we could all sit down, such a fuss to move a tiny section of sheeting, it was so obvious but not to them." Have to say it looked unnecessary and was almost bound to cause resentment, but should be easily sortable for the future. As Clanford says, in recent seasons City fans have moved tarpaulin's ourselves. It is better when stewards either help, or use common sense and do it themselves first.

If you read the update from Liam Scully on the OS it seems to me the issue is not the segregation area per se, but the access to and facilities for the Imps fans who would be in the SW. Mentioned that they would be looking to improve that which would potentially open up more seats for home fans if I read it correctly.

Red Wimp - 26/11/2017 19:38

If you read the update from Liam Scully on the OS it seems to me the issue is not the segregation area per se, but the access to and facilities for the Imps fans who would be in the SW. Mentioned that they would be looking to improve that which would potentially open up more seats for home fans if I read it correctly.

The empty seats yesterday were because of lack of away demand but yes we couldn't sell more to home fans even if there was demand because of what you say - it wasn't all segregation. The size of the segregation could be seen vs Coventry. Still a big block of seats.

Still far too many imo! Surely they could keep the gate open for facilities(or more portaloos).We also have had it full with away fans with no major problems and the gate shut .

Skip155 - 26/11/2017 18:12

I was talking to a police officer in the ground before the Notts County checkatrade game and he was saying that he would have no problem with teams who could fill the Stacy West having the whole of that end and with us having lower block 6 aswell. Whether he has any authority on a decision like that I don't know.
As has already been pointed out there is a wall and a rail separating fans so with a few stewards there is can't see why it's an issue.

Tarpaulins at sincil bank are to be treated as ‘holy shrouds’. Anyone blaspheming against them should join the ranks of fans on football banning orders.
Have a look at the football banning order league tables. If we all had healthy tans in Lincolnshire. The banning order statistics from Grimsby and Lincoln would have curry’s or is that PC world wringing their hands and shouting Foul!!!