second highest wage bill in the division. | Vital Football

second highest wage bill in the division.

Unless I’m looking at something different, that’s saying we’ve got the second highest wage bill. It’s second highest average wage. This wouldn’t really surprise me given the fact that we’ve gone with small group of quality. Also many clubs include youth players presumably on far lower wages bringing their average down.

This 'survey' is very dubious. It is on a site concerned with flogging kits/boots etc and the figures just look made up.
Ignore

Are they counting the £1.3m training ground or other costs in that

Have they divided number of players by budget but we have spent money on the stadium and facilities etc.

Sounds far fetched

Last edited:
Don't believe this at all when you've got Luton, Mansfield, Swindon, Notts, Coventry and probably Chesterfield who will have paid all more than us with varying degrees success from it.

When some of our promotion squad got offered more money elsewhere how can it be right?
Its this misheld belief that we're minted from the cup runs and we're spending megabucks on players.
Did Liam not say earlier in the week he believed we had 14/15th highest budget? Bit nearer the truth.
Very lazy journalism.

Having read the article it is simply an attempt by the local press to take the pressure off Exeter who errrr have the pressure and expectation to deal with in the second leg. As Danny said about the budget in his press conference earlier in the week, "We know the truth".

Liam's Echo article couldn't have been timed better, really, given that dodgy Devon Live article.

You'd have expected better from a, presumably, experienced journalist to not take a random site as that as gospel.

Shall we believe EFL benchmarking 14th or a site that sells football related stuff? Hmmm...

I wonder if they have based their information on last years figures ? Remember those will have been inflated by FA cup bonuses.

Sadly there appears to be nowhere on that site to be able to question the writer his sources and to tell him what a load of rubbish it is.

Last seasons total wage bill was £ 2,562,406 up from £1,160,865 the year before. Now that includes total LCFC salary costs not just player costs.Now I don't know the split but I would suggest player costs is the major part of that. A cost of £1714 a week,assuming a full year average of 22 players would imply a cost of £K 1,961 approx. So it may be credible.

No way our average wage last season was £1.7k.

It was widely reported the budget started at around £500k, so if we're going on that basis, any money spinning ties/ real attendance spikes didn't start until January time. There's no way we trebled our budget in January onwards, particularly if you look at the players we signed during that time.

We had the Raggett and Whitehouse fees, but I imagine they were cancalled out by Robinson and Margetts.

Raggett and Arnold were big signings at the beginning of the season but beyond that, we generally had a few loans players (or non-contract in Robinson's case) rather than permanent.

We are looking at total players wage costs here not just players basic wages.That will include employers NI and pension costs. The total salary cost of £2,562,406 is fact although you can debate the split of this.I suggest the vast majority of the increase from £K 1,161 to £K 2,562 was player related.

Last edited:
In theory they could have done a "Swiss Ramble" and taken every club's last published accounts for the wage bill, but that doesn't just include players as has been pointed out. Luton, for example had 360 employees. Nevertheless, total wage bill does give some measure, not that you can see that because lower division clubs are small concerns that don't publish that information

So in conclusion, as Bart Simpson would say, they made it all up.