Season 16-17 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Season 16-17

At this point, one must give B-Rodg the benefit of the doubt. But we really need two strikers coming in. You can't go in with one, as good as Griffiths is. If he gets hurt we're screwed. And I'd thnk he would want a real option up front alongside Griffiths anyway. Guidetti says he would return. We could do worse than bringing Hooper back.

The lack of credible transfer stories with us is a little bit worrying at this stage now. I know we like to leave it late and he wants to assess the squad in person but I agree with welch in that we need another striker in before the CL deadline. Going in with just Griffiths and Ciftci is not great, although technically we have Scepovic too. Ciftci and Scepovic did not do well last season, either at the club or on loan and it would be surprising if Rodgers wanted to keep either around. Yet the only strikers the club seems to get linked with are Steven Fletcher and Danny Graham.......just because it's a story, not because there's any truth to it! I think Rodgers would be wary of signing either of them!

There are stories that we're still in for Andre Wisdom and Joe Gomez of Liverpool but it doesn't seem to be moving anywhere on either of them.
We've also been linked with Nathan Dyer from Swansea. He was on loan at Leicester last season and now has a Premier League winners medal. He's 28 and could be a good signing with good experience. Although 28, he still has a good engine and pace!

Other than that there's really not much happening on the transfer front.

Scepovic is GONE!! He has signed a 4 year deal with Getafe where he spent last season on loan! Fee is around £1m.

That only leaves us with Griffiths and Ciftci as recognised senior team strikers.

However......we are on the verge of signing a bright young talent. Moussa Dembele, French U20 striker has had a medical. He has spent the past 3 seasons with Fulham having come through the PSG youth team. Fulham are due £500k compensation as he was available on a free transfer but they get training compensation, half goes to PSG however! The 19 year old scored 17 goals in 43 appearances for Fulham last season! In January he was linked with a £6m move to Tottenham but they couldn't agree personal terms.
His agent and advisors were keen for him to move to a club which could offer him regular first team football, Champions League or at least European football and it seems we have been the best option for his continuing development.

DONE DEAL! Moussa Dembele is officially a Celtic player and will be on his way to join up with the squad in Slovenia! Looks like we got a bargain at £500k.

Seems to be a great bit of business from us there. I'm not going to be desperate for new signings this summer but I think ones we do bring in will be well thought out. Rodgers isn't going to sign players just for the hell of it, which was sometimes the feeling we got with Deila.

[youtube=FyzyFJsYO-s]

This looks like a terrific signing. He's 19 and already scoring goals at a pretty high level. His tally last season is similar to what Hooper did in the Championship the season before he joined us. He looks to be the kind of pacy, attacking forward that Rodgers likes. And it's a four-year deal.

Deila absolutely signed players out of desperation and for the hell of it. Cole, Kazim-Richards and Scott Allan for that matter. Allan has ability, but we were stocked at that position at the time. Anyway, onward and upward! Sceppo was sold on the same day, so Rodgers is clearing out payroll.

He's quite leggy....which is strange as he doesn't look that big but it's just his style. He also has really good strength for his size!

Apparently Aston Villa are unwilling to sell Scott Sinclair despite our interest and our bids so far have not been enough but we're apparently set to up our bid to £3m. Maybe getting a little on the pricey side?

Slightly surprised Brendan Rodgers hasn't looked to one of his former Liverpool signings for defensive reinforcements. Tiago Ilori - English born but Portuguese national, 23 year old CB that Liverpool paid over £6m for from Sporting Lisbon 3 years ago. Struggled with injury a little initially but went out on loan to Bordeaux where he did fairly well and Granada where he also did quite well. Last season he spent the first half on loan at Aston Villa but with all the problems there, never actually played a game for the first team. Returned to Liverpool and played in 3 FA Cup games for Liverpool as Jurgen Klopp assessed the squad and who he wanted to keep. It seems Ilori is surplus to requirements at Liverpool now and with 2 years on his deal, perhaps a deal can be struck for a player who probably just needs a good run of games to get back to his best form. His current value is around £3.4m but perhaps a deal can be struck, or we take him on a season loan with an option to buy next year where he'll only have 1 year left on his contract.
You can see he has talent and why Liverpool bought him, it just seems he's a little rusty and lacks sharpness. There are aspects of his game he needs to work on but his two biggest strengths are his pace and his ability to header the ball. He's a big tall lad and he gets up well to header the ball!
He's also pretty good at tackling, particularly at standing forwards up rather than diving into challenges.

For me though, we are short of options for good defenders to buy at the moment and this guy could be an answer. We lack height and a strong header of the ball at the back. Sviatchenko can get up well but he lacks the height to really dominate while Ilori has height and the athleticism to get up and make the ball his.

His main weakness can be his passing and sometimes his ball control but both of those are probably from a lack of sharpness as much as anything. If he keeps it simple and gives it to the better passers of the ball, he wouldn't have any issues.

See what you think:

[youtube=hLk53gMG90o]

Rodgers saying ideally we'll have one more in by the deadline. I take it he means the deadline for the next round?

It seems we may be losing the battle for Duffy.....so turning our attention to the young lad from Heerenveen, Jeremiah St Juste.

Fiacre Kelleher has joined Peterhead on loan. Peterhead are currently in League One which is a shame as I would have rather have seen him be pushed a little more and play in the Championship. Perhaps if he impresses up until January, he could get a move up to the Championship for the second half of the season! It certainly seems like the Peterhead boss will be using Kelleher a lot as he is only their 3rd CB. From the sounds of things they don't have anyone as tall as Kelleher either, at 6"5 he's a big tall lad which should help them defend set pieces but also potentially score set pieces too!
Good luck Fiacre!

Some interesting news today regarding players exiting.

Darnell Fisher moved on permanently for an undisclosed fee to Rotherham yesterday, that clears up space in the squad. Sad to see Fisher go to be honest, he did a cracking job stepping in for Matthews and Lustig when they were injured and perhaps should have had more chances. Wish him all the best!

Stefan Johansen is at the centre of a little tug of war. Fulham are apparently willing to offer £2m for him but that seems to have brought Galatasaray back in to the mix as they seem to have lost out on Lucas from Liverpool and so are chasing Johansen instead! Again the fee is said to be around £2m but so far, Celtic have been hoping for closer to £3m.
I'm sure Brendan Rodgers would want more money but I don't think he'll be too bothered about opening up another spot in midfield as I believe CM is still a spot he'd like to bring his own kind of player in for.

Then we have Jozo Simunovic. Having played only 18 games last season and not been able to play under Rodgers yet, he's an unknown quantity to both the fans and the manager. For that reason, if the right offer comes in he may be more than willing to let him leave! Torino from Serie A are the club apparently interested. They have money to spend too! They're about to lose their CB to Napoli for £20m because Napoli are close to losing their CB to Chelsea.
We paid around £4.5-5m for Simunovic, I believe the idea was that we believed his value would get even greater after a couple of seasons because his potential was so high. If Torino can cover what we paid for him (bearing in mind his value will have decreased since his injury and the transfer value was never a true reflection of his real value) then I think a deal could be done. It would open up a space in the squad for another CB if Rodgers wanted to bring another one in.

So much for Luke Ayling.....don't know where the rumour came from but only 2 days after it broke, he signed for Leeds! Enough said!

Dorus De Vries - 35 year old Dutch GK who's previously had spells with Nottingham Forrest, Wolves, Swansea and Dunfermline is at Celtic for a medical. With Logan Bailly breaking his ankle, Rodgers appears to want better cover and more competition to push Craig Gordon for the number 1 spot.

Simunovic is not for sale according to the club and the player himself has rubbished any rumours of him leaving.
He's still young and has enough potential to warrant being kept around for Rodgers to get a good look at him!

I think Simunovic is a very good player, even though we've seen him in limited action. He could really benefit from working with Toure or being paired with Sviatchenko. The question is, will he ever get fit and remain on the pitch? Staying fit is a skill. Some have it, some don't.

Well we have to hope so, I think Brendan and the medical team are probably doing the right thing though. They've obviously looked at other options last season, decided he needed the surgery but knew it would mean he'd be out for a while. The key is not to rush the player back from injury and as long as we continue with how we're going with him, he should hopefully be OK. He doesn't have a history of injury problems, obviously he's only young so it's just bad luck it's happened now. I think and hope that in a year or 2, we could see a very good defender in Simunovic. I think he'd work well on the left of a back 3 as well which Rodgers will like.

We've signed Dorus De Vries, the 35 year old GK that Rodgers has worked with before and wanted to sign. He's to create competition for Gordon while Bailly is out injured. With all respect to Bailly, he perhaps wasn't giving Gordon enough of a test for the starting spot and that may have lowered Gordon's effort, not necessarily on purpose from Gordon but just knowing he's in a secure spot in the team will have made him relax a bit, De Vries will have him on his toes!
Fasan started the game against Inter at the weekend and made some VERY good saves! It looks like he'll be another keeper who we will have produced but hasn't made it into the first team. He's good enough for pretty much any other SPFL club and on his showing against Inter, may even interest a few clubs down south or back in his native Italy. His problem is once Bailly is back, Fasan becomes 4th choice you would imagine.....I think Fasan could go in this window and we'll move up one of our other young keepers to temporary 3rd choice.

Rodgers previously stated he wanted 1 or 2 more players in....that was before we signed De Vries. So the question everyone is left wondering is does De Vries count as one of those 2 he wanted and what position/s is he looking to strengthen further?

Current speculation is that Rodgers only wants one more, and it could be another CB, maybe someone younger....a bit more of a project perhaps.

It could be another versatile utility sort of player.

We all thought there would be some movement in CM at the start of the summer, especially with the Joe Allen possibility....so is that still the position he wants to add a little more quality to? If it is, who's it going to be? Bastian Schweinsteiger has been rumoured if we get through to the CL groups. He's been told to find a new club and at 32 you'd think that wouldn't be too difficult for a former World Cup winner, Champions League winner, FA Cup winner, 8 x German Champion, 7 x German Cup winner, UEFA Super Cup winner, FIFA Club World Cup winner, 4 x German Super Cup winner and former German Player of the year.....but as yet he hasn't gone anywhere.

Rodgers has discussed more about what sort of player he wants to bring in. He apparently wants a creative midfielder, no10 kind of role player. Now it seems everyone is still unsure what this means.
Does he want a midfielder who can get the ball in the middle of the pitch and move it forward and create things from there?
Or does he want someone to play a similar position to Rogic but a different style of player to Rogic?

Some have suggested it's a Joe Allen kind of player which would suggest a floating midfielder who is happy to go and get the ball and do a bit of the dirty work but is creative enough to make things happen.
However the description of the player being used in the no10 role would suggest someone more about attacking than getting back to help the defence. Someone that can link up with the striker, even take over the striker role if the striker moves out wide or comes deep, they should probably also have the ability to move out wide and be comfortable on the wing, allowing the wingers to get inside toward goal.

I've got a few suggestions for each.....

Gaku Shibasaki - 24 year old Japanese international midfielder. Plays CM or even CDM, likes to sit deep and create, very good at set-pieces but also has the skill to move into more attacking areas and either create or good at shooting from distance. He's quite good at providing pressure in the midfield so sitting deep and then pouncing for the ball as it comes out from the defence, he can then tackle or intercept and break forward. I think that would suit Brendan Rodgers' system quite well.
Currently plays in Japan but we've seen how many Asian players are coming over to Europe now. We had Nakamura and then Ki but we've had nothing since, it feels as though we've given up on that market and I don't know why. We're missing out on some talented players who are moving to other teams particularly in Germany.
To me, there are shades of Nakamura about him. Just in the way he does some things, the way he sort of holds himself and his style. See what you think. His value is around £1.7m but I don't know how long is on his contract, maybe £2m enough.....

[youtube=Qxo_TV-Pey4]

Another midfielder option would be Simon Tibbling. 21 year old (22 in September) Swedish Olympic team player and formerly a Sweden U21 player who is probably about to move up to the full team. Plays for FC Groningen in Holland where we got VVD from. Been there a few years now and is one of their top players. He's a brilliant passer of the ball and is happy to come deep and collect the ball from the defence. He's not the quickest player but he has great skill and quick feet to help him beat players. Decent shot from distance, good with both feet and likes to link-up play. Pass and move, little 1-2s with team-mates. He has great balance which is one of the reasons why his dribbling ability is so good! He has good vision and is creative with his passing, happy to look for balls in behind the defence for players making runs.
Current value, around £2.5m and contracted until 2019. So he won't come cheap but he looks to be a real star of the future and Groningen haven't had a good start to the season especially as he's been away on Olympic team duty. He may feel the time is right for a move to a team in Europe more regular than just the occasional Europa League spot.

[youtube=4LR8VcPoBNE]

Now, the more attack minded and typical No.10 players who could be good buys.

First up, Nicolae Stanciu. 23 year old Romanian international currently playing for Steau Bucharest (who are about to be dumped out of the Champions League qualifiers by Man City). He's an attacking midfielder who can play on the wing or even as a striker. He's quick, good skill and dribbling ability, takes a mean free-kick and set-piece and to me he could be compared to someone like Coutinho in his style of play. That might be the sort of player Rodgers is looking for......14 goals and 10 assists in 32 games last season!
Value is around £3m and is under contract until 2021 so he really won't be cheap, but with them crashing out of the CL and having to settle for EL, perhaps a deal can be done and he might be happy to move up. If Rodgers wants pace and quality.....this is surely the guy?

[youtube=znOZwjI3Y6g]

Another option that again probably wouldn't come cheap is apparent Spurs target Louis Schaub. Valued at around £2.5m but with only a year left on his contract, he's seemingly attracting a bit of interest and that could boost his price up. He's an attacking midfielder who was born in Germany but is an Austrian U21 international playing for Rapid Vienna. He'll be 22 in December, he's not quite the finished article but he has the makings of one. He plays in the no10 role or is happy moving out wide onto the wing to create, his dribbling ability is very impressive, again he has good balance like the others and he has good vision and passing. What he needs to work on for his position is his finishing. 9 goals and 6 assists in 34 appearances last season, this season he already has 8 goals and 1 assist (4 goals in 3 EL qualifiers).
There is footage in the following video of Rapid Vienna playing Ajax last season.....he made Ajax look amateur, he just cuts through them. When you consider the problems we've had against Ajax in recent seasons....the difference is obviously quality!

[youtube=tBgQ0S-WD9o]

My final one is a little bit different to the others. Viktor Claesson is a Swedish international, 24 years old playing in Sweden for Elfsborg. He's more of an athletic Rogic....better movement, quicker than Rogic but otherwise fairly similar. Same sort of height and build, good dribbling ability etc. His better mobility allows him to float into wider areas to create chances more than Rogic might though and it allows him to run in behind against defenders better than Rogic can too. 7 goals and 9 assists in 26 games so far this season.
Claesson would be by far the cheapest option I have listed but then he could also offer the best value for money. Valued at just over £1m and with 2 years left on his contract, he'd be available for £2m at the most.

[youtube=00AOYBYAZ1U]

Latest Celtic News