Search For a New Manager | Page 2 | Vital Football

Search For a New Manager

I don't think he is right for us either, not yet. What is his footballing philosophy? We don't even know!

Apparently Martin O'Neill has confirmed that Keane is in discussions with Celtic.

Lets hope it's just discussions and Keane may end up turning us down due to the constraints he'd be working under.

One of the articles also said we were talking to a couple of others. It's not just Roy. But this is the kind of move Desmond would make.

Reports suggest Roy is favourite and if he says no then we will offer it to Mackay.

It looks as though David Moyes is definitely out of the running though. He is talking about taking a break from management for a while but did admit he was "tempted" by a few possible jobs.

Reports now suggest Keane has turned down the job and has asked to not be considered for the post.

Steve Clarke has held talks over the weekend and it seems he may now be favourite for the job.

This is Actually pretty good news. I like Keane-O but not as manager of this club. I think Clarke could be quite good. Not sure why Garcia isn't higher up the list. But Clarke would be a nice addition.

The bad news--and I'm only guessing--is that Keane turned it down because he won't be allowed to spend.

I think you could be right. The reasons for him saying no are now to be questioned.....you can only assume it is partly at least down to the work he is doing with Ireland but mainly it must be to do with the restrictions that will be placed upon him should he choose to take the job.

Actually one news report said he would have to take a pay cut. I assume that means it's because he would have to give up his pundit gig as part of the deal. In any case, we may have dodged a bullet. Why would Desmond broker a deal to make Keane only a No. 2 for Ireland and then to run the show at Celtic? It makes no sense.

Next!

Why do you not want Deila?

He sounds good....although worryingly they have seemingly found a manager who managed to win the league on a shoestring budget! Apparently they had only 10% of Rosenborg's budget but managed to win the league. Could that be what Celtic are planning? Reduce the budget again but still want miracles in Europe?

With all of the experienced candidates who are interested, we're going for a 38-year-old who has never coached on a big stage. I'm sure he comes cheaper than all of them. We got lucky with Lennon and they appear to want to get lucky again. The guy has a good record ... in Norway. He is an intriguing choice, but not an obvious one. I'm just not enthused.

Stromgodset have become one of the top teams in Norway, it's not that bad a league and he's been with them for 8 years....if he was doing a bad job then he'd have been sacked ages ago. I don't think it's as big a gamble as you think.

Nobody we're looking at appointing is going to have a great CV. Clarke and Mackay have had limited top league experience, no European experience.

Looks as though it's a done deal.....just the last couple of things to sort with the compensation apparently.

Some suggestions that John Collins may be brought in as his assistant......and that we may be interested in appointing a Director of Football. Something we haven't had before so will be interesting to see, but I don't see why we'd pay for one if we don't need it.

Exciting times ahead bhoys :emoticon:04

<b>Ronny Deila appointed as new Celtic manager</b>

CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce that it has appointed Ronny Deila as the Club’s new Football Manager.

Highly-rated manager Ronny (38), joins Celtic from Strømsgodset IF in Norway, where he has led the Club to national cup glory and to the Norwegian Premier League title last season, the first time the Club had won the League Championship in 42 years. Ronny joins Celtic on a 12-month rolling contract.

New Celtic manager, Ronny Deila said: “It is a magnificent honour to be named the new Manager of Celtic, one of the world’s great football clubs and a club I have such enormous respect for. I will treasure this opportunity and will give everything I have to achieve success for Celtic and our wonderful fans.

“I know what I want for Celtic and our supporters and that is the best of everything, it is what our fans deserve. I want to deliver the best attacking, exciting and entertaining football we can play, for the players to give their best every time they take to the field of and, of course, I want my players to work with me to achieve the best results possible and bring trophies to Celtic.

“Celtic is in great shape and the Club has enjoyed real success in recent years due to the hard work of Neil and his team. I want to carry on this work and continue to bring happy times to Celtic. I can’t wait to get started on this journey."

Celtic Chairman Ian Bankier said: "We are delighted to have secured Ronny as Celtic Manager. He is a highly-regarded individual and a man who we are confident will bring great success to Celtic.

"He is a forward-thinking coach and manager with a progressive approach. The Celtic Board will support Ronny fully and in every way and we look forward to working with him.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: "We believe Ronny will prove to be a fresh and dynamic new manager and someone who will give us a bright and energetic way forward for Celtic.

“Knowing that he was so highly-rated across Europe, Ronny was one of the first candidates we considered as manager and having discussed the opportunity with him at length, we are convinced he has the talent and the determination to deliver very positive results for the Club and our supporters.

“Ronny likes to play attacking, winning football, the Celtic way, something I know our supporters will endorse. As the new season begins, I am sure our fans will get right behind Ronny and the players once again as we aim to bring success to Celtic and continue to deliver a Club they can be proud of.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6007

Welcome to Celtic, Ronny :emoticon:01

Make yourself a legend.

<b>Jürgen Klopp: I wish Ronny Deila every success at Celtic</b>

BORUSSIA DORTMUND manager, Jürgen Klopp has sent his best wishes to Ronny Deila on his appointment as Celtic boss.

The new Celtic manager is an admirer of the German coach and his success at Dortmund, and he spent time in Germany, studying Klopp’s caching methods.

And the admiration is also mutual. As Ronny Deila was unveiled today as Celtic’s 17th manager in the club’s history, Jürgen Klopp sent a message of congratulations to Ronny Deila and to Celtic.

The Borussia Dortmund manager said: “A great club with great fans gets a great manager. I’m very happy for Ronny Deila and wish him every success at Celtic.”

Speaking at Celtic Park today, Ronny Deila said: "I like Jürgen Klopp. He's a modern leader and very close to players which is very important.

“He also plays in an attacking way - he wants to create - and that gives energy to the stadium.

“Celtic are a big club, but we need to develop players up to a European standard and I like to do that.

"But I don’t think so much about it. I’m me and when I start working with the boys I will be me. I hope that someday people will say, 'He looks like Ronny Deila'."

And Ronny Deila’s friend and fellow countryman, Jan Aage Fjortoft, believes there are comparisons between Celtic’s new manager and the Borussia Dortmund boss.

“Like Jürgen , Ronny has a tremendous thirst for knowledge," Jan Aage Fjortoft told the official Celtic website.

"After his team won the championship he travelled around Europe talking to people and he went over to see Borussia Dortmund manager Jürgen Klopp to talk to him and pick his brains about how he turned his team into the champions of Germany and Champions League finalists.

“Ronny lives and breathes football but I think he does that in a healthy way because he has developed a way of managing and developing a team and that is his main strength.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6008

<b>Captain welcomes new boss to Paradise</b>

SCOTT Brown has welcomed Ronny Deila to Celtic Park and says he is excited at the prospect of working with the new Celtic manager.

The Celtic captain believes that the Norwegian coach will add a fresh approach to Paradise and has backed him to make an instant impact with both players and supporters.

Deila is the man chosen to take over the reigns at Paradise after an impressive six-year spell at Strømsgodset where most recently, he guided the club to the Norwegian title for the first time in their history.

In doing so, the 38-year-old Deila earned a reputation as an attack-minded coach, something that Scott Brown believes will fit in well with the Hoops.

Speaking to the official Celtic website today, the club captain said: “It’s going to be exciting. It always is when a new manager comes in and he’ll bring in his own philosophy.

“When you have a new manager at the start of the season, you know he’s going to focus on different points and he’s going to have different aspects in training and games and what he expects from us.

“It’s ideal and he’s a young manager and he's about the same age as Neil Lennon when he took over and it’s a good thing to give someone young a chance. He’s produced the goods in Norway by taking a side from just about nowhere to the top of the league and that’s great.

“He’s not long out of football himself, he finished just a few years ago so he’ll know what we want to do and what he wants to do. I’m sure he’ll focus as much as possible on getting the ball down and playing good, sharp, passing football.

“I think managers thrive off the kind of pressure that comes with being at Celtic. It’ll be a great experience, especially that first time that he walks out at Celtic Park and there are 60,000 fans there just to see him. He’ll love every moment of it.”

Having helped lead Celtic to a third domestic league title last season, Brown impressed in a midfield that latterly contained Stefan Johansen.

The Norwegian arrived in January, having worked under Deila at Strømsgodset, who developed him from a wide player into a central midfielder to great affect, with the 23-year-old picking up the Norwegian League’s Player of the Year award.

And with a host of young players already making an impact at Celtic Park, Brown believes that there is plenty of talent at Celtic for the manager to choose from.

The Celtic captain said: “He had Stefan over in Norway and we’ve already seen what a good player he is, and if he worked underneath him there, I’m sure he’ll be wanting to take him to the next level here. I’m sure he'll know how to do that.

“It was myself, Stefan, Kris and Charlie that was the midfield diamond for the majority of the games. When Stefan came in, you’re not sure how he’d cope with the physical challenges, but he gets stuck in and that’s what we love about him.

“We’re a really young squad - in fact I’m one of the oldest – and with the Academy we have, I'm sure the new manager will have plenty of youth to work with.”

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6005

I know a lot of people are going on about this probably meaning the budget is shrinking again and we won't be splashing out on players and that Pistol Pete just wanted this guy to go find more Wanyama's for us to sell on and how bad this will be for the club....but I think we have to be realistic at the same time. Deila is going to be good enough to win the league, the squad is good enough to win the league and cups. We don't have to spend loads for the domestic game, where we do need to spend is for the Champions League, to consistently get ourselves into the group stages or beyond.

Without much doubt, our biggest crowds would be when we played Rangers, Hearts and Hibs.....all of which we will be without next season as they are all going to be playing in what should be an interesting Championship.
That will significantly damage our income from ticket sales.

I think there is also still the plan to get more out of our youth setup. At the moment it still hasn't been very fruitful.....but we do seem to be seeing more and more players coming through who could make the step up.

Some players have been unfortunate with injuries, James Keatings looked set to be a good striker for us before he got injured and then came back but had lost his form. He scored 15 goals to help Hamilton back to the SPFL last season!
Lewis Toshney, had a good loan spell at Dundee a couple of seasons ago but has been sidelined by injury since and is now being released. He's certainly an SPFL caliber player and had he got the games he needed, probably could have been good enough for us in Europe too.
Marcus Fraser, development has been stalled by injury but still looks likely to get into the team at some point, especially with Deila's track record of bringing through younger players. I would say now is the time he is ready to step in to the back-up CB position. Let Mouyokolo go and Fraser can take his place.

Anyway....back to the manager. He has some good young players to work with and a good solid team. If he can somehow get the best out of Pukki and Balde.....we'd be sorted and may not even really need any new players. Perhaps we could sign another winger though, apparently Deila likes pace, something we have lacked at times with Forrest being injured!

I liked that Deila said he has inherited a good squad and that he won't change much as that would just unsettle the team. Instead he will take his time to transition them to his style over the course of the season. I don't think his style will be too unlike what we already play but it might be of a higher tempo!

There are 3 or 4 candidates for the assistant manager job and John Collins is one of them. The Celtic board feel that a major requirement of the candidates should be the knowledge of what it's like for the team to have to go up and play in Inverness for a 12:30 kick-off. Collins has that knowledge, he's a good coach and craves excellence....

No idea who the other candidates are at the moment. Difficult to think of many qualified people other than Collins.

I think Collins will come on board and Deila will have some of his own people in mind. I fully support him. I just hope he has the chops once we get to CL qualifiers and, eventually, have huns to play. If you're going to roll the dice with a young manager, this is a season to do it. But it's one year and then things get competitive. When the huns return, the league will be eager to see them competitive with us. You Bhoys all know what that means. We'll need a good gaffer and a loaded team.

All of that said, Welcome Ronny! Make us proud!

Collins is a very good coach. His previous lack of man-management skills is a real worry, though. Can only hope he's learned that being an egotistical prick will get you nowhere.

His coaching ability isn't in question, but only time will tell if he's assistant manager material.

Either way there needs to be some chemistry there between Ronny and whomever eventually gets the gig. Plus, he'll need to compliment Ronny, who, lets not forget, has been brought in precisely because of his excellent coaching skills.

Is Collins really what he needs in a No2? I'm not convinced but would certainly have him as the first team coach.

Collins had an unbelievable ego problem in his time at Hibs. He actually stripped off and said to the Hibs players - "This is what you should aim to look like" which was basically him saying that he was in better shape than most of the players!

Has he changed in his roles since? Not sure. Need to wait and see.

I think he's a good coach and if his ego is in check then he could actually compliment Ronny quite nicely. Collins will still have that desire for everyone to be excellent and to be as good as they can be. Deila has that same approach, it's just that he doesn't have the ego to go with it, he just wants to push players to get the most out of them.

Just need to wait and see but it's difficult to think of someone else suited to the No.2 spot and fits the criteria. Chris Sutton perhaps?

Latest Celtic News