Sean Roughan | Vital Football

Sean Roughan

Is John Joe Patrick Finn Benoa one player or have they missed the separator out?

Congrats to Sean, richly deserved.

I see Conor Coventry is also in the squad.

Too good a player not to have featured here since Xmas.

But is he better than what we have in those positions? I'd say not. Wouldn't get in CB ahead of Jackson/Eyoma/Walsh/Monstma and he wouldn't get in at LB ahead of Edun or Brammall. So it makes more sense to see why he hasn't featured much.

He's on trial at those clubs because he is obviously a talent but also due to his age. He'd not get a look in at those clubs on trial or otherwise if he was 27.

Too good a player not to have featured here since Xmas.

But is he better than what we have in those positions? I'd say not. Wouldn't get in CB ahead of Jackson/Eyoma/Walsh/Monstma and he wouldn't get in at LB ahead of Edun or Brammall..

Clive would have him at right back in front of Poole.
In fact Clive would have Tony Battersby at right back in front of Poole.

But is he better than what we have in those positions? I'd say not. Wouldn't get in CB ahead of Jackson/Eyoma/Walsh/Monstma and he wouldn't get in at LB ahead of Edun or Brammall. So it makes more sense to see why he hasn't featured much.

He's on trial at those clubs because he is obviously a talent but also due to his age. He'd not get a look in at those clubs on trial or otherwise if he was 27.
Head and shoulders above Edun and bramall.

For the people who are not going to Wembley on Sunday, if you need to eat up time before the main event think UK viewers can watch the U21 Ireland friendly fixture that Roughan has been called up for, and also one of the other fixtures next week.

• Switzerland v Republic of Ireland, May 30, KO 11:00, Dama de Noche Football Centre, Marbella, Spain (Live on Premier Sports 1/ FreeSports)
  • Australia v Republic of Ireland, June 2, KO 12:00, Marbella Football Centre, Marbella, Spain. (Live on Premier Sports 1/ FreeSports)
I think Freesports is free! and on Freeview HD, if not you can download an app though you have to sign up. Looks like you can also view onVirgin, Sky and BT https://www.freesports.tv/

Last edited: