Scunthorpe | Vital Football

Scunthorpe

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
If nothing else, this game highlighted the need for attacking options. Desperately, needed a tall physical centreforward to provide a bustling presence yesterday against Scunthorpe's centre backs.
Seems that neither Goodwin or Fondop are considered capable of being that player.

Alternatively we play a style of football that does not depend on a tall CF? I gather from those present that Pools were hoofing the ball up to Cullen who was fighting a losing battle against the large Scunny CBs. Cullen is not that type of player. Surely we should be trying to play the ball to feet.

Whilst I agree with your viewpoint Alf2, the weather at yesterday's game made playing a passing game impossible. Also, in previous matches the "pressing game" of the opposition has stifled playing out from the back, resulting in long, pointless, goal kicks.

The other element of my original post is that, irrespective of the number of strikers on Pools books, there only appears to be Cullen and Mols who are considered good enough. Neither of those are likely to compete aerially with the typical Lge2 centre halves.

Fair comment, OP. As for the strikers, probably Cullen and Mols are considered the best options of those available. Fondop has had a few chances and has not looked a goal threat and cant even hold the ball up. Fela has has injuries etc but arguably deserves a longer run in the team since at times he has looked promising though yet to score a goal in a competitive match. Goodwin has looked very good at times but as a youngster he has proved inconsistent. Young Gray seems to be viewed as better coming off the bench. The long and short of it is we are painfully lacking in the striker department. Looking forward to Burey's return, that will give us a little more potency up front. Hoping we can bring someone in on loan in January. I note Bennett cant get into the Sutton team so a loan bid for him might be an option.

Last edited: