Scrap offsides? | Vital Football

Scrap offsides?

Well that's radical. Plenty of room for the goal hangers then.

Introducing the subbuteo line across the pitch isn't a bad idea though. I also have wondered what stops them from having a quadrant marked on the pitch in the corners to prevent encroachment and stop all the delays and stupid pointing to opponents which the assistant referee just ignores.

Scrap it and it would result in goalmouth frenzies I reckon.
They do need to keep their eyes on the players getting in front of goalies and blocking their view if you know what I mean.

No. I'm a traditionalist and the offside rule has always been part of the game. I do think they should simplify it though. I've never understood the "interfering with play" aspect. As someone famously said "if you're not interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the pitch".

There was a trial some years ago when a league, somewhere around the world did exactly this. The problem came when two players marked the goal keeper and all that happened was that the ball was pumped from one end of the pitch to the other. Hence, the trial failed and FIFA binned the idea.

Rising - 20/1/2017 08:03

No. I'm a traditionalist and the offside rule has always been part of the game. I do think they should simplify it though. I've never understood the "interfering with play" aspect. As someone famously said "if you're not interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the pitch".

I agree with just one amendment , if the player in the offside position is outside the penalty area

The bit that drives me crazy about the current rule is the idea that someone's ear or left fingernail was a fraction goal side of the last defender. Whatever happened to giving the benefit of the doubt to the attacker and there needing to be clear daylight between the players for the forward to be offside. I've heard commentators say things like "well, he hs just leaned forward there, you see......his left shoulder/glove/the toe of his boot is just goal side of the defender. Clearly offside. Good decision" :017: