Scott Lindsey | Vital Football

Scott Lindsey

Tony the gill

Vital Newbie
Doing a brilliant job at Crawley with limited resources.
He is an experienced manager at this level and was a local Gillingham man.
Was interviewed for the Job at Gillingham but Brad decided we needed a new approach with a novice and possession based football.
At the end of the day statistics mean nothing if you are struggling to score goals and can't defend. All us supporters just want to be entertained and frankly this season has been a disaster. I hope Brad reconsiders his decision to stick with Clemence because l personally think he is making a big mistake.
Only time will tell

Why blame Clemence? He inherited a under performing squad with forwards who couldn't hit a barn door. Doesn't matter how much shooting practice they have it doesn’t improve.
Our midfield players don't shoot enough .
We are one dimensional which is down to the coach but with the players he has at his disposal what are his options?
Our recruitment has been generally poor that hasn't helped him.
How many players that were brought in did he actually want?

Why blame Clemence? He inherited a under performing squad with forwards who couldn't hit a barn door. Doesn't matter how much shooting practice they have it doesn’t improve.
We are one dimensional which is down to the coach but with the players he has at his disposal what are his options?

If a Head Coach is devoid of any responsibility or expectation without having had multiple windows to sign “their own squad” then tell me why teams actually bother sacking managers during a season?

The notion that he shouldn’t be capable of coming in and improving what’s here as a supposed top coach doesn’t wash.

And by the way, he inherited a group of players that won 5 consecutive games at the start of the season, lost a couple and then won 3 consecutive games again. Our longest winning run under him is 2 games. So yes, this mob are capable of more than he’s getting out of them.

Lindsey is definitely more streetwise for League Two than Clemence who is effectively learning on the job about this level.

But if Crawley were asking for £250k compensation just for someone a little more "ready made" then IMO it was right to tell them to do one.

They are only slightly less inconsistent than us. They lost 2-0 at home on Saturday against lowly Doncaster who only had 10 men for the last half hour, but then crushed Newport 4-0 at their place yesterday.

I can't see them getting through the play offs when those are likely to include either Wrexham, Mansfield or MK Dons, one of which they are likely to meet in the semis. Even if they do, they are not as strong as Carlisle were last season and they have been bottom of League One for most of the season. Their fans will be watching a lot of defeats and will Wagmi stand by Lindsey one they start having grander ideas?

Personally I think the second highlighted theme is the root of the problem (not sure our forwards have had many chances).

Then, more like no-one was shooting enough (until recently).

Periods of possession have been predominantly knocking the ball in an arc - either amongst defenders - or outside the penalty area.
Defences have had ample time to adjust.

More recently we have had glimpses of the defensive chaos caused by an earlier ball into a dangerous area - and good follow-up by team-mates.

But decision-making is inconsistent.

If a Head Coach is devoid of any responsibility or expectation without having had multiple windows to sign “their own squad” then tell me why teams actually bother sacking managers during a season?

The notion that he shouldn’t be capable of coming in and improving what’s here as a supposed top coach doesn’t wash.

And by the way, he inherited a group of players that won 5 consecutive games at the start of the season, lost a couple and then won 3 consecutive games again. Our longest winning run under him is 2 games. So yes, this mob are capable of more than he’s getting out of them.
He was brought in to change the style of play to more possession based which he has done.
He's an experienced coach I wouldn't say he's a top coach, I think Steve Bruce was the manager and motivator.
There's an old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
Clemence is still learning as a No1, he's only had 1 window to bring players in.
He needs more time.

He was brought in to change the style of play to more possession based which he has done.
He's an experienced coach I wouldn't say he's a top coach, I think Steve Bruce was the manager and motivator.
Clemence is still learning as a No1, he's only had 1 window to bring players in.
He needs more time.
I appreciate that Clemence needs time as he is still learning on the job.My concern is that by his own admission he inherited a good squad of players but doesn't appear to have the motivational skills to get the best out of this squad. When he has the benefit of having a pre season with new personnel this summer l hope to see a big improvement.
I just hope the recruitment team can justify there positions otherwise l think Brad will lose patience and can see big changes being made. Only time will tell

He needs more time.

So you think he’s getting the maximum he can out of these players? Genuinely?

This same group of players won 72% of their home games this season under the old manager, so they’re clearly capable of better. Under Clemence we’ve won 1 of our last 9 home games, and no, drawing them all doesn’t equate to a good points return.

This same group of players ground out 5 consecutive wins at the start of the season (regardless of how they performed to get there), so they clearly are capable of winning more often than they do right now, whether pretty, ugly or somewhere inbetween. Our longest winning run under him is 2 games, even Sutton have managed better than that.

And no, before people try and lynch me, this isn’t me saying how amazing the old manager was. What I’m saying is I am not remotely buying that he is getting the most out of what he’s working with. In terms of results, he’s getting less out of them than the previous manager had proven was possible, and even then many felt we were underachieving.

Lindsey or Robinson would have got more out of these players than Clemence, I am almost certain of it.

Personally I think the second highlighted theme is the root of the problem (not sure our forwards have had many chances).

Then, more like no-one was shooting enough (until recently).

Periods of possession have been predominantly knocking the ball in an arc - either amongst defenders - or outside the penalty area.
Defences have had ample time to adjust.

More recently we have had glimpses of the defensive chaos caused by an earlier ball into a dangerous area - and good follow-up by team-mates.

But decision-making is inconsistent.
Though the two are linked. No movement, pace up front = limited opportunities to deliver killer passes

Doing a brilliant job at Crawley with limited resources.
He is an experienced manager at this level and was a local Gillingham man.
Was interviewed for the Job at Gillingham but Brad decided we needed a new approach with a novice and possession based football.
At the end of the day statistics mean nothing if you are struggling to score goals and can't defend. All us supporters just want to be entertained and frankly this season has been a disaster. I hope Brad reconsiders his decision to stick with Clemence because l personally think he is making a big mistake.
Only time will tell

I hope you reconsider your detachment from reality and come back into the real world.

He's not being sacked after 5 months and he's not retracting a very clear intention to keep him regardless. Get behind Clemence, not against him or it all starts unravelling quickly.

I have concerns about certain things too, but being a football manager at this level is about imperfections. He's smart, he cares and he's developing - churning and starting it all over again helps nobody.

Last edited:
Ah of course, you’re one of those who takes every turn of phrase used on a forum literally.

Not literally ‘literally’.

However, it does amuse me when people meet with disagreement and liken it to being ‘lynched’ or ‘jumped on’.

Bit dramatic, especially on here as opposed to on Twitter/Facebook where the insults flow more freely.

What’s the closest you’ve come to being lynched on here?

"Lowly" Doncaster are the form side of the division. 7 wins and 2 draws from their last 10 games
I'll take your word for that but they were 19th on the 1st January and they are 16th now, and their main attacking spearhead seems to have been a certain Hakeeb Adelakun.

Perhaps we should go back in for him, you think?