Score Predictions & Match Thread: England v Iran | Vital Football

Score Predictions & Match Thread: England v Iran

What dirt does Maguire have on Southgate to merit a call-up and a start. Bold choice. 3-1 England.

Southgate is obsessed with keeping things as unchanged as possible I think - that's how he thinks you win tournaments. Very minor changes, maximum understanding between the players, group that 'likes' each other and a loyalty to those who play well for the national team (which by and large Maguire has, as much as he has become a bit of a joke for his club side).

I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not - clearly Maguire would not be in on form but would be a big call to play Ben White or someone having not properly blooded other CBs in the run up the tournament. Southgate will live and die by it I think this time. Unfortunate that someone like Maguire is so out of form.

Southgate is obsessed with keeping things as unchanged as possible I think - that's how he thinks you win tournaments. Very minor changes, maximum understanding between the players, group that 'likes' each other and a loyalty to those who play well for the national team (which by and large Maguire has, as much as he has become a bit of a joke for his club side).

I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not - clearly Maguire would not be in on form but would be a big call to play Ben White or someone having not properly blooded other CBs in the run up the tournament. Southgate will live and die by it I think this time. Unfortunate that someone like Maguire is so out of form.

Worked for the ladies in the summer keeping the same team.
We'll see how it goes today

Declan Rice forgot that the Queen had died and that we now have a King whilst singing the National Anthem.......

Edit.
Apologies to Declan Rice, it was Mason Mount who got it wrong.

Last edited:
Fair play that was a quality half. Against a niggly team trying to frustrate with little fouls and 5 defenders and have just blown them away.

Great start to the tournament. Fully dominant. Some nice movement going forward with some urgency. Good finishes. Gloss taken off a bit by conceding two against mediocre opposition.