Scally to stand down | Page 15 | Vital Football

Scally to stand down

For an exile, who is Simon Jordan? And what could he do to make their lives difficult? Or did he mean that’s what he would do in PS place?

Ex-Palace chairman. He was saying that, in Paul Scally's position, he'd make their lives as difficult as he could.

The usual suspects are on the usual social media platforms in response to this. Suggestions that, as he's stepping away, he shouldn't be speaking to the media and so on. That's absolute nonsense. They've spent so much energy focused on "calling him out" and I'm pleased to see that he's doing the same to them. Some are complaining that TalkSPORT have made them look bad. They've done that themselves.

Ex-Palace chairman. He was saying that, in Paul Scally's position, he'd make their lives as difficult as he could.

The usual suspects are on the usual social media platforms in response to this. Suggestions that, as he's stepping away, he shouldn't be speaking to the media and so on. That's absolute nonsense. They've spent so much energy focused on "calling him out" and I'm pleased to see that he's doing the same to the

Thanks Luke 👍

TBF, I personally wish he’d just say nothing now. I can’t see it helping at all. There was a lot of positivity around on Monday. But much of it now seems to have disappeared because he’s done 2 further interviews moaning about his abusers.

That just makes all the gills social media platforms flare up with people arguing over him. It does zero to help the club or harmony.

I agree he shouldn't really keep chatting about it, unless it is in the wider context of abuse in football. If TalkSport were doing a piece on the rise of abuse and Scally was brought on then that'd be okay but I don't believe this was the case here?

To be honest all Gills fans have already picked sides on the abuse vs no abuse debate so nothing can really be added here.

Thanks Luke 👍

TBF, I personally wish he’d just say nothing now. I can’t see it helping at all. There was a lot of positivity around on Monday. But much of it now seems to have disappeared because he’s done 2 further interviews moaning about his abusers.

That just makes all the gills social media platforms flare up with people arguing over him. It does zero to help the club or harmony.

I understand that. The bullying and needless abuse deserves to be highlighted, though. I don’t want behaviour like that to be normalised because people think they can act in such a way with impunity.

I love it when there’s a feel-good factor around the club, and I believe that’s getting better despite current goings on. We’ve got some difficult issues to work through amongst the fanbase, however, and they’re not all PDPS’ doing.

I understand that. The bullying and needless abuse deserves to be highlighted, though. I don’t want behaviour like that to be normalised because people think they can act in such a way with impunity.

I love it when there’s a feel-good factor around the club, and I believe that’s getting better despite current goings on. We’ve got some difficult issues to work through amongst the fanbase, however, and they’re not all PDPS’ doing.

Fully agree on those points. But I hope now he does just move into the background and let it all die down.

His abusers don’t even think or realise that’s what they are doing. It’s all his fault in their minds. He isn’t going to change that mindset.

Fully agree on those points. But I hope now he does just move into the background and let it all die down.

His abusers don’t even think or realise that’s what they are doing. It’s all his fault in their minds. He isn’t going to change that mindset.

Sadly, OSK I don't think PS can help himself. It doesn't matter what the circumstance ( and in the current situation he's got more justification) he has always been happy to speak in the press and hold the limelight over the years.

There is the usual contradictions of any Scally interview, though.

That seemed to occur to Simon Jordan, and probably most listeners, because he immediately said that the abusers should get their collars felt. PS said he had the car vandalism captured on CCTV so why the hell would you NOT involve the police. If the vandals were brought in, that would at least establish whether it was connected to the SOB which PS has just asked everybody to accept.

Scratch marks have suddenly appeared on the bonnet of my 6 year old Skoda and I have just assumed it was bored kids on their summer holidays, so there no certainties.

Because the subject they were discussing related to Social Media warriors, Jordan said they are all cowards hiding behind their keyboards, even though PS says he knows who they are and we know he has previously said that he has been confronted face to face and insulted at the ground.

That would suggest that although they are low life, they are open about it. Graham Perry has even been named.

‘Captured on CCTV’ is a long way from meaning identification and a conviction is likely or even possible.

Unfortunately, the police are unlikely to even visit the "scene" for a theft from, or even of, a motor car these days. Most things, like vehicle crime, don`t even seem to warrant any sort of actual enquiries. An apologetic letter and a crime number seems to be the most common, and only, police response - a Dreadful state of affairs.

Best chance of a result for PS would have been to independently investigate and seek independent court action. He shouldn`t have to - we shouldn`t have to, but that`s the current situation, as low priority law and order slips further down the political pecking order.

The usual suspects are on the usual social media platforms in response to this. Suggestions that, as he's stepping away, he shouldn't be speaking to the media and so on. That's absolute nonsense. They've spent so much energy focused on "calling him out" and I'm pleased to see that he's doing the same to them.
I dunno - if he's looking to sell up, he should be making the club look as good as possible, not keep going on about rifts with fans. I don't know what the upside is to keep whining about the same things over and over?

I dunno - if he's looking to sell up, he should be making the club look as good as possible, not keep going on about rifts with fans. I don't know what the upside is to keep whining about the same things over and over?
I don't know that he is currently looking to sell as I have said he doesn't need too.
He has had his moment to make a statement he has done that.He has employed someone credible to do the job he has been doing.
If he wanted to sell full stop I believe he would have said so.
Basically the SOB are telling him to just go.He owns the club in the same way as I own my house. Why should I leave it simply because a few nutters say so?
Even if there are ten thousand of them which there clearly aren't.
He has employed Paul Fisher that will mean fewer questions and media involvement fot Scally as the dust settles.
I would not be surprised if a fair number of these people are like a friend of mine goes once or twice a year lives in Gillingham. Has got a strong feeling about Scally because he reads the crap that has been out there for many years and believes it.
Forget for a moment we are talking about a football club .Does anyone (other than maybe the misses or your mum) have to right to tell you to sell anything at all ?
If you don't need the funds and want to keep said item because you still like it what would those people make you think and do?

Forget for a moment we are talking about a football club .Does anyone (other than maybe the misses or your mum) have to right to tell you to sell anything at all ?
If you don't need the funds and want to keep said item because you still like it what would those people make you think and do?

But the fact that it IS a Football Club is the whole issue.

I would think anyone with various business interests that include a sports club would always say that the sports club is the most volatile for them.

The whole income of a sports club, outside of money from the league, is provided by the club's support either directly through ticket and food/drink/programme sales at the ground or indirectly through sponsors, attracted by being able to sell to fans through the publicity. P*ss them off at your peril.

An empty ground is a dormant asset.

Of course, no one can make you sell if you do not wish to, but it is not merely a possession or an entry on your balance sheet. More responsibility comes with it than the ownership of a car or house.

PS has said a number of times that he wants to sell and is waiting for (what he considers to be) the right buyer at the right price. In fact, in this latest statement he says "indeed we are currently considering the possibilities of forming a strong and credible Board of Directors capable of continuing the journey, should external investment or new ownership not be an option."
I get the feeling Fisher may have been brought in to assist with these two options given his "expertise" seems to be in the sphere of "attracting investment", if that doesnt happen, he sounds a useful chap to have around should we end up with the other option

. I don't know what the upside is to keep whining about the same things over and over?

I think he's looking for people to tell him what a great bloke he is and how none of this is his fault.

Lets be 100% clear no one deserves anywhere near the level of abuse hes had.

However he never seems to acknowledge that he could possibly have done anything wrong. Again lets be clear nothing justifies the abuse but a bit of humility from him would go some way to building bridges. Not with the extremists but with the middle ground who just want a stable club.

"If i go the club folds" - well that shows a total failure in leadership and succession planning. Those who work there deserve better. He still rattled that line out despite employing a capable CEO/co-chair.

"Its just me" - why hasnt he formed a board before? Are other views permitted ? Are there really no local business men / gills fans who would have come on board for advice/counsel or is it simply there is no room for other opinions?

"I saved the club" - yep and been rewarded with millions in the process. That bits never mentioned in these interviews. We thank you.

He's no saint either when it comes to how he deals with others. I remember the darragh macantony interview with evans where macantony was very clear in his dislike for scally following something scally had said to his partner (assuming business partner).

For his own health and well being i wish he would go on that long holiday and recover. Going on the radio / tv just keeps his stress levels high in my view. I dont like the way hes run this club but i dont wish him ill. To the contrary paul, do what you said, go into the background and take time to recover.

So why keep doing the media rounds ? Others have hit the nail on the head. He likes the attention. Its why im increasingly convinced he'll be back in charge in a few months. Hopefully this time with a board of directors who can help him steer a better path. Going back to the one man band is no way to run a multi million pound business.

PS has said a number of times that he wants to sell and is waiting for (what he considers to be) the right buyer at the right price. In fact, in this latest statement he says "indeed we are currently considering the possibilities of forming a strong and credible Board of Directors capable of continuing the journey, should external investment or new ownership not be an option."
I get the feeling Fisher may have been brought in to assist with these two options given his "expertise" seems to be in the sphere of "attracting investment", if that doesnt happen, he sounds a useful chap to have around should we end up with the other option
Anyone will have a price for something. At present it is unlikely that anyone will bid enough to temp Scally in my opinion. However as I have said selling a small piece of his ownership in order to get investment into the club makes a lot of sense. Especially if it came with a commitment to sell a majority share at a later agreed date .That's where I think Scally is .In the past that investment was with him in total control. Now I believe he might have stepped back from that .But selling the whole thing I still find very unlikely. But I could be wrong.

I think he's looking for people to tell him what a great bloke he is and how none of this is his fault.

Lets be 100% clear no one deserves anywhere near the level of abuse hes had.

However he never seems to acknowledge that he could possibly have done anything wrong. Again lets be clear nothing justifies the abuse but a bit of humility from him would go some way to building bridges. Not with the extremists but with the middle ground who just want a stable club.

"If i go the club folds" - well that shows a total failure in leadership and succession planning. Those who work there deserve better. He still rattled that line out despite employing a capable CEO/co-chair.

"Its just me" - why hasnt he formed a board before? Are other views permitted ? Are there really no local business men / gills fans who would have come on board for advice/counsel or is it simply there is no room for other opinions?

"I saved the club" - yep and been rewarded with millions in the process. That bits never mentioned in these interviews. We thank you.

He's no saint either when it comes to how he deals with others. I remember the darragh macantony interview with evans where macantony was very clear in his dislike for scally following something scally had said to his partner (assuming business partner).

For his own health and well being i wish he would go on that long holiday and recover. Going on the radio / tv just keeps his stress levels high in my view. I dont like the way hes run this club but i dont wish him ill. To the contrary paul, do what you said, go into the background and take time to recover.

So why keep doing the media rounds ? Others have hit the nail on the head. He likes the attention. Its why im increasingly convinced he'll be back in charge in a few months. Hopefully this time with a board of directors who can help him steer a better path. Going back to the one man band is no way to run a multi million pound business.
I agree with that Mark.

Ron Noades’ continued ownership of Selhurst Park stadium after he sold his stake in “the club” for £22m to Mark Goldberg (who actually couldn’t afford it and went in debt to Noades), made for a very messy situation when Simon Jordan eventually later agreed to buy the club, and took out a 25 year lease on the stadium. More here, look under ownership of Selhurst Park:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Noades

So Scally’s ownership of the club, stadium and all subsidiary businesses ie Priestfield Conference & Banqueting, Online club shop, GFC School etc would make any buyout extremely complex.

I recall from Scally’s plans for a new stadium, the end goal was that the club would rent (not own) the ground from a company of which he was a director.

Last edited: