Scally to sell up? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scally to sell up?

I have heard it, via someone who works at the club - obviously won't name them.

All I have heard is some American businessman has been at a few home games in recent weeks, no concrete bid, but enough interest that he's here watching the matches with Fisher.

The bankers on here will know better but, as a lay person, I`d have thought it very timely, money exchange-wise, for a U.S business interest to emerge as a buyer. The big question is, in the finest U.S. sporting tradition, will we have to add a moniker to Gillingham ;)?

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of American owners in the football league at the moment, off the top of my head I think Orient, Walsall, Stevenage and Crawley all have American owners in our league alone (probably some others I’ve forgotten too).

I hope whoever is interested is more Orient than Crawley orientated though.

Back to seriousness. Who is the source for this rumour? Binman or one of his people ITK by any chance?

This was discussed between Paul Fisher and members of the GISC in their recent chat. There were a number of things that weren't supposed to leave the room but obviously people talk.

Obviously staff would be aware but the timing of the rumours more coincide with the GISC chat.

It’s inevitable.
I believe that Scally is now pretty desperate to unload the club.
We won’t see him back.
Could be better
Could be worse
Only time will tell

Quite so in my opinion. This is always the case with a change of ownership and, unllss the buyer has previous as a club owner, it's a complete gamble. In our case we have had the same owner for over 25 years so we go from the contempt borne of familiarity, for sdome, to
This was discussed between Paul Fisher and members of the GISC in their recent chat. There were a number of things that weren't supposed to leave the room but obviously people talk.

Obviously staff would be aware but the timing of the rumours more coincide with the GISC chat.

Talking about rumours, you are literally floating one here. No evidence whatever of a leak from GISC. I can think of several people of my acquaintance and outside GISC, who could easily be the source of such "information". I have no reason to believe the story is from them, or GISC. I suspect neither.

There seems to be a lot of American owners in the football league at the moment, off the top of my head I think Orient, Walsall, Stevenage and Crawley all have American owners in our league alone (probably some others I’ve forgotten too).

I hope whoever is interested is more Orient than Crawley orientated though.

orient owner is British but made his money selling doughnuts in America

On Saturday I also heard from someone well connected with the club that investment is in the pipeline. But whether that's a full sale or not, and who's involved, I've no idea.

Talking about rumours, you are literally floating one here. No evidence whatever of a leak from GISC. I can think of several people of my acquaintance and outside GISC, who could easily be the source of such "information". I have no reason to believe the story is from them, or GISC. I suspect neither.

I was told this information from someone who is very well known to be part of the GISC and they said they attended the meeting.

I have no idea who posted the rumour on Facebook first but as the original poster commented, it is a rumour that have been in circulation for a few weeks. The meeting with the GISC was a couple of weeks ago - it might have been a coincidence that the rumour started literally the same time as the GISC meeting but a coincidence it is.

While it could be true that the initial Facebook posting that started the current rumour might not have originated directly from a member of the GISC, I know for a fact members of the GISC have been openly discussing it in public where people not associated with the GISC would have easily overheard.

I find it hard to believe Fisher would discuss confidential info with the GISC. Perhaps with a trusted partner but not an organisation we’ve only just started to acknowledge.

The only information disclosed was that there were 4 serious interested parties who were allowed to do further investigation and their due dilligence. If all goes well, Scally hopes the club will be able to put out an official statement at the end of December / early January. No details of who the parties were beyond the favourite / preferred bidder was an American.

To my knowledge, no truely confidential details was discussed beyond there being several interested parties in taking over.

I was told this information from someone who is very well known to be part of the GISC and they said they attended the meeting.

I have no idea who posted the rumour on Facebook first but as the original poster commented, it is a rumour that have been in circulation for a few weeks. The meeting with the GISC was a couple of weeks ago - it might have been a coincidence that the rumour started literally the same time as the GISC meeting but a coincidence it is.

While it could be true that the initial Facebook posting that started the current rumour might not have originated directly from a member of the GISC, I know for a fact members of the GISC have been openly discussing it in public where people not associated with the GISC would have easily overheard.

I have heard rumours from that time and before from individuals outside GISC but working/living alongside GFC employees. I have no idea where these rumours originated from, or whether this information is just out there but I acknowledge your continued determination to finger GISC. it's worth noting that the club are continuing to meet with them and are happy to do so. We should surely all welcome that fact.

I have heard rumours from that time and before from individuals outside GISC but working/living alongside GFC employees. I have no idea where these rumours originated from, or whether this information is just out there but I acknowledge your continued determination to finger GISC. it's worth noting that the club are continuing to meet with them and are happy to do so. We should surely all welcome that fact.

finger GISC hehe