Saturday's performance ratings . | Vital Football

Saturday's performance ratings .

chris who

Vital Champions League
Again I was not intending to do this but given I have not seen anything I will give it a go forgive me for being brief and any inaccuracy .

Holy not sure his performance could be faulted .The defence should never have let the lad get a shot away for the goal .Outstanding handling of crosses etc .Not to many difficult moments .Distribution was not great but OK 7
O'Neil other than one or two loose passes first half it was hard to fault his performance .A amazing tackle on Lowe when odds on to score will long live in the memory .Was behind a lot of our best moves and is fast challenging for that player of season award .9
Reilly solid in the main and we certainly missed his bite in the first half in midfield 7
Ehmer got over to cover O'Neil well when required Lowe was certainly a threat .Pompey have great movement and skill when they got going generally did really well 8
Zakuani less than great distribution as usual but generally solid against a useful side 7
Byrne and Hess both out of their depth first half both improved as the match went on .6 each
Waggy sadly disappointing on the day could have another injury as he appeared to be struggling will a mussel injury a few moments before leaving the pitch 5
Martin got better and better after a average start showed real quality for his goals .Must be saying the right things to the lads as heads never dropped Skipper gets a 9 from me .
Parker Out of it for long periods first half .In defence of him there was no service really .Battled away for 90 minutes 6
Eaves Never really got anything going that I could see first half against a physical Pompey back line .5
Wilkinson Well for me the lad now finally showing what we want from him .Big improvement on Eaves .Great individual goal .8
List and the other sub I can't score due to lack of time and touches on the pitch .
Referee simply terrible 3
Steve Lovell 10
A great day don't be too hard on me if you think otherwise just write your view below .

Agree with a lot of that. Think you're a little harsh on Byrne and Hess (the latter in particular), we didn't threaten much in the first half, but I thought Hess was quite involved in some of our best moves.

Was it windy there yesterday, as I also thought Holy's distribution was pretty dodgy at times?

Didn't think the ref was all that bad either. A little bit frustrating at times, especially in the first half, I seem to remember there was one spell where he seemed determined not to give us a free kick for anything, but quite a few times I thought he was quite sensible in just letting things go with a quick warning rather than flashing cards around.

Gills1958 - 11/3/2018 19:25

Thanks Chris.

I blame Wagstaff's injury on that seafood diet he's been on.
Yes I know I got that spelling wrong .So I have to go back to work soon so forgive the rushed report .Just thought someone should try .
My wife had mussels in a curry house in Southsea Saturday night .Real nice meal and a few drams to wash it down ."Spice Merchant" specially is fish curries .For the record my main was a haddock in coconut and chili sauce .A great weekend stinking cold part .

chris who - 11/3/2018 19:34

Gills1958 - 11/3/2018 19:25

Thanks Chris.

I blame Wagstaff's injury on that seafood diet he's been on.
Yes I know I got that spelling wrong .So I have to go back to work soon so forgive the rushed report .Just thought someone should try .
My wife had mussels in a curry house in Southsea Saturday night .Real nice meal and a few drams to wash it down ."Spice Merchant" specially is fish curries .For the record my main was a haddock in coconut and chili sauce .A great weekend stinking cold part .

I make loads of mistakes and only notice when it's too late. I was just having a bit of fun and thanks for taking it in that spirit.

Your reports give sensible scores, as I've said before, so keep.them coming. Jealous of your meal and even more jealous that you saw the match and I didn't.

Can I ask about Tom Eaves as well.

I have read a few on here saying he was AWOL again and looked "dis-interested". Especially some comments in the match thread I think.

But, Steve Lovell's comments were that Tom had battled and "beat up" their center-halves and that there was a pre-determined plan. I know Steve is going to publicly back his striker, but these words seem to have some ring to them.

Especially after I watched yesterday a couple of Portsmouth fan youtube "blogs". In one of them 2 guys talking were saying at H/T that Gills had created absolutely nothing, but the "Big Guy up front is winning headers and putting himself about. He's a threat".

So, are Steve and the Pompey fans just making that up? Are some of our fans looking for things that aren't there?

Well I thought all our players were pretty poor in the 1st half. I thought if anyone would have been taken off it would have been Parker, who couldn't do anything right. Didn't think Eaves was any worse than anyone else.

The 2nd half was an incredible turn around, with every player seeming to find an extra half a yard. Wilkinson's goal was fantastic and proved a lot of the doubters wrong. Martin was outstanding and you could see why he was once on Man Utd's books!

Lots of Pompey fans in pub after the game praising our 2nd half performance, and were genuinly surprised by the size of our support (not a euphanism!)

Eaves picked up his 9th yellow against Wigan on the 3rd of Feb, I think he's been holding back ever since.

nitram77 - 12/3/2018 05:58

Eaves picked up his 9th yellow against Wigan on the 3rd of Feb, I think he's been holding back ever since.

Does the card count reset at any time? Or is it right to end of season?

I think Eaves is subdued because of one more yellow and a ban. Parker could not hold the ball first half and gave it away. Second half change of tactics Wilkinson on played long ball from defence instead of playing through midfield. A Steve Lovell master class.

OneSirKeefy - 11/3/2018 22:09

Can I ask about Tom Eaves as well.

I have read a few on here saying he was AWOL again and looked "dis-interested". Especially some comments in the match thread I think.

I certainly don't think he looked disinterested. He didn't have a great half by his standards, though (not that he was the only one by any means), not a lot really went right for him.

nitram77 - 12/3/2018 05:58

I have a feeling that could be all that has happened .Lovell has tried to manage him .Unfortunately cutting out that bit of extra aggression has affected his game .I genuinely think he scares defenders to death when in form .Now Wilkinson is looking like he is worth a few games and we are as good as safe Lovell might tell him to go for it . Taking a chance of losing him for a few games .

Plymouthray - 12/3/2018 08:08
Second half change of tactics .....

I'm not sure how much the guys doing some of the gills fans youtube videos actually know about tactics. But one of them talking at H/T of the game, mentioned we had changed formation 2 or 3 times during the first half trying to find our form. And we apparently started getting into it in the 10mins before H/T.

And then once we were in the ascendency (not sure if when 2-1 or 3-1) we changed to a flat 4-4-2 (possibly 4-5-1) to effectively close the game out.

It really does sound like Steve L knows his stuff and has plans A,B,C,D and probably E if he needs to find a way. So refreshing having heard "There was no plan B" for the last 2 seasons.

OneSirKeefy - 12/3/2018 09:23

Plymouthray - 12/3/2018 08:08
Second half change of tactics .....

I'm not sure how much the guys doing some of the gills fans youtube videos actually know about tactics. But one of them talking at H/T of the game, mentioned we had changed formation 2 or 3 times during the first half trying to find our form. And we apparently started getting into it in the 10mins before H/T.

And then once we were in the ascendency (not sure if when 2-1 or 3-1) we changed to a flat 4-4-2 (possibly 4-5-1) to effectively close the game out.

It really does sound like Steve L knows his stuff and has plans A,B,C,D and probably E if he needs to find a way. So refreshing having heard "There was no plan B" for the last 2 seasons.
I did not take note of formation changes . It is hard to be sure of them from behind the goal anyway .But we definitely got the ball wider in the second period getting around there full backs appeared to be a weakness of theirs .There was one real chance for Eaves in the first half that came from a cross .Unfortunately he failed to get to it as it flew just wide .

Assuming what was said during commentary is correct, the deadline for bookings has now passed and Eaves and Byrne, who were both one booking away from suspension, are in the clear.

According to this http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions

the cutoff for ten yellows is the second Sunday of March. So they're in the clear!