Same old same old | Vital Football

Same old same old

Harry's Boy

Vital Reserves Team
Hello again. Can't remember when I last made a post but I've been lurking in the background - hoping for any transfer news. Doesn't seem to have been much movement and it sounds like Rafa is accepting the Ashley party line.

Looked at the BBC gossip column and it's all about the big boys and no doubt they'll have to finish wheeling and dealing before the minnows get a look in. So, Samaris, Correa, Perez? Another long, drawn out series of negotiations then a desperate plunge for the line, resulting in disappointing headlines.

Lower, lower half of the table, then?

Without at least another striker of note, we're gonna be in a relegation battle.

If we get said good quality striker, lower-mid table. If we get more additions in key positions we're we are lacking - and I still think we will once we shift some of our shite out - I think we can finish top half.

It's tricky. I recently had a significant birthday and at those times, you tend to do a bit of a life review. Would it have been a better life had my following of this football team not happened? I remember my childish exhilaration at the Fairs Cup victory but a few cup runs, the glorious nearly years with Keagan and the hope with Sir Bobby... Well, that's pretty much been it for 60 years of football.

But its more than just that. It's my hometown team. I cannot help my feelings towards it despite the many frustrations. Yes, there have been times, especially during these Ashley years, when I have wished I could ignore them. But I always come back. Searching for the score, hopeful of victory. It's a bloody addiction, that's what it is.

So I'll go on, reading your posts. Hoping for that key signing,( and yes, we need a quality striker but I think we're seriously lacking in a number of key departments) and hoping for some chance of success. Because much of following this club is about the frustration and disappointment. I wish it wasn't but there it is. I wasn't born to follow any other club. I'm stuck with this one.

Anyway, sorry about the sound off. I just had to do it in the hope that someone on here would understand.

Is it the 'same old, same old' though?

Yes, it's not rocket science that a first season back in the premier league will be dictated by the loss of massive income the season before and the fact that Ashley is thinking profit first before football but there's a mental change amongst many others.

Whilst managers before Rafa have been force fed personnel like Thauvin that seemed excellent on paper, the incoming players hearts weren't in it and the team as a whole has suffered. The policy which we had back then of getting them on the catwalk to fatten up was lacking in the players ability to actually be able to strut.

I wonder what vision players were sold back then aside from the shop window although the majority of them acted like Mannequins.

This season on basic rations, I bet as a unit there is a big improvement which means that a different vision is painted for them. The end game may be the same in that some players will be allowed to go on inflated fees but the conveyor belt will be functioning on a smoother rotation with league positioning there to placate the fans with maybe a cup run now and then.

The policy that Ashley always wanted in a scenario not unlike Spurs could eventually see us tick everyone's boxes but it will be slow progress. Call it a new 5 year plan but to me, this is the first time it's actually felt like one although until we have built a squad good enough to stay in this division minimum, there will be no big pricey signings. They are at least one more Summer away.

As it is we'll create enough chances, but fail to put enough them away.

And we're short on cover for centre-midfield, both attacking and defending; and at left-back.

It's always mañana, mañana, mañana when it comes to this regime and transfer windows.

Constantly contradicting themselves too. One minute the club is on a sound footing, the next it can't compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Southampton who have played lower league football for the best part of 20 years, if not longer.

MickMartin - 1/8/2017 12:25

I'll have whatever you are on toony.

Just saying it how I see it Mick.

Do I think Ashley has changed? No. Not really. The ambition to better his tat brand amongst other diversions is still king but I think he has learned a little as to how this football malarkey works and has allowed a little scope for others to decide certain things in his hope that he prospers in the long term.

I also know he is pretending to want to sell the club and is messing potential buyers around by changing the asking price at the last minute

As things have changed at regular intervals on the footballing side as in what division we are in and what the budget or plan could be, the biggest hurdle to come is next Summer if we stay up when we all expect a massive budget and less work needed to stay in the division. This in turn means more chance of big priced signings.

If it doesn't happen then everyone will know the score then rather than second guessing.

CuckFan - 1/8/2017 12:43

Managed to tie your own shoe-laces yet, OM?

Nice contribution.

I sincerely hope your alleged involvement in curing cancers is more significant.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 1/8/2017 13:01

MickMartin - 1/8/2017 12:25

I'll have whatever you are on toony.

Just saying it how I see it Mick.

Do I think Ashley has changed? No. Not really. The ambition to better his tat brand amongst other diversions is still king but I think he has learned a little as to how this football malarkey works and has allowed a little scope for others to decide certain things in his hope that he prospers in the long term.

I also know he is pretending to want to sell the club and is messing potential buyers around by changing the asking price at the last minute

As things have changed at regular intervals on the footballing side as in what division we are in and what the budget or plan could be, the biggest hurdle to come is next Summer if we stay up when we all expect a massive budget and less work needed to stay in the division. This in turn means more chance of big priced signings.

If it doesn't happen then everyone will know the score then rather than second guessing.

It's very clear that Ashley hasn't changed,the majority get that.

The manager has not changed either.
He is peddling utter lies whilst repeating the same nonsense the likes of Pardew spouted.

The problem is the majority are following the carrot of his past glories,which is exactly the reason he was employed in the first place.

The only honest manager we have had under Ashley confidently predicated the Andy Carroll money would not be spent by the club.

Since then we have just kept on getting shafted.

Yet there are those who want to talk about a season without sky money (which isn't true either) even though they cashed in Sissoko and Winaldum.

There is plenty of work to be done, this window.

It starts with getting a proper striker in, otherwise we'll be in a dogfight with relegation all season.

Assuming we do get one worth his salt - we'll stay up, as we have enough in most positions to avoid the bottom 5. Right now, we'll create enough, but not put enough away.

Then, how high up we finish this season, will depend of what shit Rafa can shift, and replace with those that 'can do a job' for us.

Once we have two players in each position, plus a potential youth player good enough to step up; THEN, we can look at editing the weakest places on the 1st team.

This window has to be about getting two competent players for each position on the pitch, first and foremost. Nothing else has such a priority.

An interesting exchange of views. There's plenty of merit in both sides.

We all agree Ashley is only in it for the money. He will only sell if he can get a daft price for it, otherwise the club is a nice little sideline for him.

Benitez appears to have accepted that he needs to run the club the way the owner wants him to. The question I think is, can he manage to grow success given the strictures under which he must work? And, given that he has had past success is he capable of reproducing it here? Again, within the confines of the owner. I reckon you think he will succeed, Toony.

I've always felt that Benitez has standards. It would be dreadful if he's seen the money and gone for his pension plan lining Ashley's pockets further on the way. I suppose this is how you feel, Piemag.

So we'll see. Hopefully a few half decent players in and see if Rafa gets value for money performances out of them.

It's a good point Harry.

Ultimately, will Rafa think he can accomplish what he wants, under the Ashley method of next-to-zero investment - in effect, 'you must generate your own funds'. For which my thinking, is it's highly unlikely.

But.

Rafa knows what he's doing, and will be aware that any measure of success, and by that I mean as little as re-establishing the club as a stable Premier League entity, and there is a chance an investor will come in and finally buy Ashley out.

Believe it or not, Newcastle are one of the biggest clubs in the world still; it is RIPE for proper investment. It's also probably the worlds greatest 'under-achieving' club, thus, he would enhance his status, which is already very highly regarded, IF, he can win us a trophy.

Rafa is in this long term, and he might well be thinking, longer than Ashley is around.

I certainly hope so.

What it all boils down to (after immediate promotion), is some stability in the top flight. And that starts with two capable players, per position on the field - and quite plainly what he's going for.

Harry's Boy - 1/8/2017 14:16

Benitez appears to have accepted that he needs to run the club the way the owner wants him to. .

That's the crux of the problem in my opinion HB.

Benitez's ego is almost as well documented as our supports desperation.

He is clearly unhappy about his treatment at Milan,Chelsea,Napoli and especially Real Madrid and is determined to show he can repeat past successes.

Apparently at any cost.

"Benitez's ego is almost as well documented as our supports desperation."

Yep, you're right, Piemag. It is the hope that Benitez's ego can, through his self-belief, bring the success so desperately yearned for and that's what gives the optimists their hope.

I'm a cynical old bugger truth be told and I don't expect it to happen. But like the optimists, I fully wish it will come to pass.