Salford City 1-0 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Salford City 1-0 Lincoln City - What 3 Things Did We Learn?

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
I know it was only a pre-season friendly, but I need to treat it as my warm-up to the season too and get used to publishing certain features again.

So, what 3 things did we learn from today's 1-0 defeat?

Minimum of 150 words required!

1. "It was one of them!"
2. "We have four ball playing centre backs"
3. Never judge a team on a pre season friendly however expected better finishing from Mr Hopper.

1. Preseason training is ok, but until you actually play the game against real opposition you have no concept of how ready you are, as an individual or as a team. The slow start and the awkward first 30 mins showed how the team have a lot of work to do in match fitness and understanding each others game.
2. After the players adjusted to the pace of the game, we dominated, showing good pace against the Salford defence. Zac looked on pace and seemed to have undergone an, ellis at chesterfield, growth spurt in terms of strength. Although at times decided to take a touch too many and then get crowded rathee than cross a simple ball. Eyoma looks a big strong player, Max showed signs of promise although got caught too far forward a few times.
3. Preseason games are useless in getting to know players as at times it felt like we changed everyone except Ross (who looked capable and always seemed to be on the lookout to restart the game quickly often with a throw) zac despite being subbed came on again in a more central role and struggled to show the levels of ability he showed in the first half, probably as he had played 40 mins more than everyone else. The substititions ruined any flow to the match and nobody really stood out once the team had been changed and changed again.
The young no 14 looked good until you realise he is 17 and then you think we have a real prospect. In all the young lads who came on all looked not too far away from the first team. The no number Centre forward looked a handful.

It was the first run out for what is now Michael Appletons team and the only negativity I will speak is Harry Andersons haircut. Everything else is the reason we play friendlies, to prepare for real games. We learn we adapt and we move on.

(1) I was impressed with some of the young guns. It is hard to believe that Roughan is only 17 on that showing. Eyoma and Montsma were also promising and Ross was solid in goal. We will have serious competition for places this season. We are clearly strong at centre half and the usual peeing about at the back was better than last sesson.
(2) You have to score when you are on top. We had a twenty minute spell either side of half time when we were clearly in the ascendancy and missed 5/ 6 presentable chances. Hopper was wasteful, but got in good positions, and he had little support. It is obvious where we need to strengthen and i have faith that it will be addressed.
(3) We looked understandably ring rusty at times. Our biggest strength in the team ie the new midfield, was a particular disappointment. Jones and Mcgrandles were both off the pace and Salford dominated the midfield for key spells in the game. Max went missing for the goal and Zak had a poor second half after showing promise in the first.
Henderson always finds a way to score against us. A curates egg of a performance but the usual 1 - 0 away result. Up the imps.

1. Preseason training is ok, but until you actually play the game against real opposition you have no concept of how ready you are, as an individual or as a team. The slow start and the awkward first 30 mins showed how the team have a lot of work to do in match fitness and understanding each others game.
2. After the players adjusted to the pace of the game, we dominated, showing good pace against the Salford defence. Zac looked on pace and seemed to have undergone an, ellis at chesterfield, growth spurt in terms of strength. Although at times decided to take a touch too many and then get crowded rathee than cross a simple ball. Eyoma looks a big strong player, Max showed signs of promise although got caught too far forward a few times.
3. Preseason games are useless in getting to know players as at times it felt like we changed everyone except Ross (who looked capable and always seemed to be on the lookout to restart the game quickly often with a throw) zac despite being subbed came on again in a more central role and struggled to show the levels of ability he showed in the first half, probably as he had played 40 mins more than everyone else. The substititions ruined any flow to the match and nobody really stood out once the team had been changed and changed again.
The young no 14 looked good until you realise he is 17 and then you think we have a real prospect. In all the young lads who came on all looked not too far away from the first team. The no number Centre forward looked a handful.

It was the first run out for what is now Michael Appletons team and the only negativity I will speak is Harry Andersons haircut. Everything else is the reason we play friendlies, to prepare for real games. We learn we adapt and we move on.

Do we know who the no number CF was ? No support but looked useful.

1. I don't think I have actually watched a pre-season game as it happened involving City for about 35 years. The last one I remember going to was against Coventry, the year we sold Trevor Peake to them. Was there really much difference between that match and todays from my recollections. No. Pre-season games are not about the results or even the performance. They are about players getting used to one another, trying a variety of styles and systems and getting players match fit. To that end todays match did what was required. No conclusions can be drawn from them irrespective of whether you lose 1-0 or win 8-0.

2 Will this season be full of supporters bemoaning playing out from the back. Judging by today absolutely. We do have defenders and, based on a very limited view today, a goalkeeper who look reasonably comfortable to receive the ball very close to the goal we are defending, and certainly with the way we were setting up at goal kicks, where the defenders were on the six yard line as the ball was passed to them it's going to be a tactic that we are going to see quite a lot this season. The success or otherwise of it will be very much in how it develops.

3. This team is a work in progress, but there are decent signs that the youngsters who are being developed within the scheme just might be hidden gems. Sean Roughan I thought was superb at left back and if we were running a man of the match poll, he would have been my shout for that. Several others came on late on and none looked out of place. This is very promising when you consider how salary caps will affect clubs over the coming years.

Friendly match though, so let's not get ahead of ourselves

1. First preseason games are always hard to judge, inevitably a work in progress with new players and methods being tested in a match context for the first time, and more players to come in. That showed, particularly in the first 30 minutes when it was like watching an engine cranking back into life after a long layoff and with new parts. Salford have already played some matches and started the sharper though apart from the break and goal, offered relatively little threat and defensively we looked reasonably sound.
2. Once the machine ran into a higher gear, there were promising signs with better passing and pace, Bridcutt orchestrating. The substitutions broke the rhythm. Finishing and set pieces were poor throughout and hopefully that will improve.
3. Of the new players, Montsma impressed me the most. Coming from the lower reaches of Dutch League 2 would he be a project or a viable starter from the off. Today suggested the latter, particularly early in the second half when pace, no nonsense tackling and confidence on the ball were all in evidence. Occasional positional lapses were to be expected. Promising signs. Triallist A (14) also impressed, in build, speed and position a facsimile of Harry A which was just as well, as the hirsute original was a long way from his best when he came on, let's hope more training a match time sorts that out.

You could tell we were a league higher. A couple of games under the belt and that would have been embarrassing for them.

there were a couple of moves where we moved the ball well through the park.

apart from hopper misses (he could PTSD after that) reasonable performance - better then some in the league last year which is not a bad sign