Safe now, so what next? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Safe now, so what next?

Worth remembering this is the first time Cook has been involved in a relegation fight. Over 600 games in management but if you haven't experienced it I imagine little can prepare you for it. Dropped points in a promotion push are very different to dropped points in a relegation dog fight.

That is fair in once sense, but in another there have been some instances / decisions that defied logic no matter what level you are at. The league is tougher but work rate, organisation, bravey and fight are not so much defined by the quality of your players but by the inspiration and discipline of your manager and there were a lot of dropped points due to lacking those qualities in a number of games. Losing games was less the issue than being able to walk away saying 'we went for it and left everything on the pitch', and too often you couldn't do that - that is where the questions have arisen.

Two sides to every coin KDZ.

You're bang on re away form, some signings and the tactics some of the time.

Against that, there's a strong argument in his favour, based on home form, other signings (& loanees) and tactics the rest of the time.

The season's made up of both bags ........ a reet shitty one, and another packed full of nice stuff.

The biggest thing in his favour has been the last 3 games - the reaction of the players, the performances and of course, the results.

All this said, I completely agree with you that there's no way he should be given as much leeway in future. This year though, I think he earned it .......... and thankfully, he delivered ....... just!

Absolutely, he deserves a lot of credit for pulling out the response when needed most and come the end of the season his home record has been commendable. I was just pointing out that it's not likely that IEC will keep Cook just because we survived if they think they can do better and the notion that we can't afford to change him financially in nonsense.

I think the next 2 and all that came before will all be factored in along with future plans - the good the bad and the ugly and the potential. Incicentally i think he will most likely be kept on - i just don't think it's a given like some people believe.

Last edited:
these business people have left the running of the club to the royals and Jackson thank the Lord they have acted wisely and not knee jerked like previous administration and the will of a few folk on here I'm with a previous poster who said as I did the mission has been completed the job done on to next season and if its similar results and league position by November it will need reviewing and you and a few others will get your wish otherwise let the man get on with the job[/QUOTE

Martinez do u really think that the 'will of a few folk on here' can lead to a managers sacking?? Even if it's more than a 'few' on here I'd very much doubt they'd have any sway in whether the mager stays or goes. I also don't think it's about 'getting your wish' either if PC was sacked, I think it's more a case of fans wanting the best for the club alongside the fear of relegation. I've been on / off the fence so many times regarding PC's position - bit like as The Clash song goes "should he(I) stay or should he(I) go now".
As you say he's done the job of keeping us in this division but it def seemed touch n go a few times. Given the last 3 games being fresh in the mind it sort of greys out the previous pretty inept performances & makes you think can he / will he be able to carry the better performances on into next season....if only we knew, if only!!!