🚹 Ryan Sessegnon - Player Thread | Vital Football

🚹 Ryan Sessegnon - Player Thread

job sent us the following:

So, after weeks of articles debating whether Tottenham or Liverpool were going to sign Ryan Sessegnon it has now been confirmed the youngster has signed his first professional contract with Fulham.

Strangely perhaps but I'm rather pleased with his decision. At Fulham he will play, I would suggest, on a regular basis while if he had come to us or them up at Anfield then I would have to ask just how much playing time would he have actually got?

It's very hard to improve as a player if you're not playing week in, week out. It reminds me of Ali at MK Dons. In other words a season or two of regular Championship football will bring him on no end.

In two years' time he will still only be a 19-year-old lad and obviously, with a significant number of games under his belt he will be a much better player. He has clearly got talent at left-back and his decision to stay at Fulham suggests, similar to Harry Kane that the boy is focused purely on football and not cash driven.

When he's proved himself and he's blossomed as a professional, in my opinion he'll be ready to move on. In addition if he still prefers to continue to live and be close to his family in London and Spurs just happen to come calling then at least he'll have that option.

Moreover, in the short to medium term Ryan will be much more of the finished product. Having said that he will come at a cost. But at least we would be buying someone who would more than likely walk straight into our first team and not be sat on the fringes.

To me it's actually refreshing to see a young player who's not blinded by the pound signs and simply wants to make the best of his talent. It's the kind of attitude, I'm sure you would agree both you and I want to see.

An injury review would be good.

It's a hamstring he got it playing for the England U-23' if IRC - told he's probably 3-4 weeks away from being fit enough to really hit conditioning, so I suspect he'll debut something in October, perhaps end of Sept earliest?

I was well pleased we got Sessegnon signed. I thought we missed the boat when we didn’t get him last summer. He should be making his debut soon. Be interesting to see how he fits into the team formation

I was well pleased we got Sessegnon signed. I thought we missed the boat when we didn’t get him last summer. He should be making his debut soon. Be interesting to see how he fits into the team formation

Like you, I was pleased that we had got him, he went off the boil for Fulham a bit last season - but I am assured that he is an exceptional player - I hope we all see that sooner rather than later.

His only position has to be LWB surely?

Like you, I was pleased that we had got him, he went off the boil for Fulham a bit last season - but I am assured that he is an exceptional player - I hope we all see that sooner rather than later.

Like any WB that will ask a lot of questions of him. I would play him as an attacking winger initially.

hmmm, just can't see Poch doing that - he never struck me as having enough to be a winger?

Guess we will see soon enough - I hope!

For me, our most intriguing signing and so glad we got him. There is no logic to having either Rose or Davies in the same match day squad once Sess is fit for the bench. Poch needs to pick his LB for the game and rest the other, which probably isn't good news for Rose. We all expect that.

A bigger disrupter though is with Lamela and Moura. You never see a scenario where Son isn't involved but would one of the other 2 miss out if Sess is on the bench covering the LB role? I've seen Sess playing for Fulham from the right when Babel joined them on loan and he clearly has that string to his bow along with his left sided attacking play. Lamela and Moura are great impact subs themselves, so he has his work cut out to get ahead of them though.

There is absolutely no downside to having Sess. This is what squad depth should be about. A 19 year old with no baggage that wanted to be at our club and desperate to get started.

Yeah from what Iv seen he is a wing back. I suppose what I’m wondering is if he could cut it as a LB in a back 4. My guess would be he could in certain games, like playing against a parked bus. It’s got me wondering if we are gonna see a lot of a back 3 in the future. I like Davies but he gets done for pace too easily and pretty much everyone has pacey wingers nowadays. I’m on the fence as to whether he has enough to play as an attacking wide option. I’m guessing maybe not yet, but could he one day become a player like sterling? Definitely an exciting signing for the future I look forward to seeing him.

For me, our most intriguing signing and so glad we got him. There is no logic to having either Rose or Davies in the same match day squad once Sess is fit for the bench. Poch needs to pick his LB for the game and rest the other, which probably isn't good news for Rose. We all expect that.

A bigger disrupter though is with Lamela and Moura. You never see a scenario where Son isn't involved but would one of the other 2 miss out if Sess is on the bench covering the LB role? I've seen Sess playing for Fulham from the right when Babel joined them on loan and he clearly has that string to his bow along with his left sided attacking play. Lamela and Moura are great impact subs themselves, so he has his work cut out to get ahead of them though.

There is absolutely no downside to having Sess. This is what squad depth should be about. A 19 year old with no baggage that wanted to be at our club and desperate to get started.
Exactly. He is the prototype signing along with high quality nearly shop ready imports like Fernandes or Van der Beek. Hope we are all over the next young Ryan that was why I was heartened to see us linked to the lad at WBA. Been on the record as saying I think Ryan maybe the best prospect for us of the three in.

Jose said today he sees Sess as a winger currently. That's kind of limiting our LB options even more. I did think if Rose doesn't play either Jan or KWP would be my choice.

Jose said today he sees Sess as a winger currently. That's kind of limiting our LB options even more. I did think if Rose doesn't play either Jan or KWP would be my choice.

True, but it's not as if Son or Moura have much backup in the wide areas. The other options all play that position much narrower. That could make Sess useful. Jose also mentioned that he can play on the right as well.

A piece today quotes Ryan as saying what discussions Jose has had with him. He wants more aggression and more vocal contribution both on and off the field. Ryan admits he is quiet and perhaps a little withdrawn. He agrees with Jose , he needs to get more involved and express himself.