Rules is Rules.... | Vital Football

Rules is Rules....

Nothing to stop player using their shirt though which I assume will still continue.

Ball goes out. Ball boy throws another ball on the pitch. Fans/ballboy throws original ball back on the pitch. Easy way of time wasting.

Ball boy throws ball to player, player pretends not to catch it then picks it up and takes another minute stealing yards. Throw ins are a waste of time literally

Ball boy throws ball to player, player pretends not to catch it then picks it up and takes another minute stealing yards. Throw ins are a waste of time literally
It’s so easy, isn’t it?! God I wish I was a footballer nowadays, I would be such a shithousery one.

Perhaps it needs a simple rule change.So many seconds to throw the ball into play from the time it is retrieved .Or the ball goes to the other team
Like goalkeepers used to have a number of seconds to get rid of the ball? Now they can catch the ball and fall on the ground and stay there for however long. Not the rules that need changing

Like goalkeepers used to have a number of seconds to get rid of the ball? Now they can catch the ball and fall on the ground and stay there for however long. Not the rules that need changing

I thought this was the other way around. They used to get 6 steps, but could take as long as they liked to take those steps. It was changed to 6 seconds. Not that I’ve often seen it enforced!

Edit: typo!

Last edited:
I thought this was the other way around. They used to get 6 steps, but could take as long as they liked to take those steps. It was changed the 6 seconds. Not that I’ve often seen it enforced!
Kind of my point really. They changed the rule and it wasn’t enforced

I thought this was the other way around. They used to get 6 steps, but could take as long as they liked to take those steps. It was changed the 6 seconds. Not that I’ve often seen it enforced!

It's one of my biggest bugbears, 'keepers often have it for 20+ seconds, it's blatant timewasting. It was so bad at Walsall away us Gills fans started chanting a count of the seconds their keeper held onto it

It was actually the 4 step rule (sorry for being pedantic) but goalkeepers could get around it by taking 4 steps, dropping the ball and then picking it up again. This was essentially amended when they changed the backpass rule which banned keepers from picking the ball up again.

Also the 6 seconds only starts once the keeper is standing and is in a realistic position to release it. So

a) if the keeper dives and is on the ground with the ball then the timer doesn't start until they stand up.
b) if they catch it in the air defending a corner then for as long as there are a load of opposition players are around the keeper, the timer doesn't start. Generally a referee will only start the 6 seconds once all the opposition players have left the area.

There is a slight misconception that the moment that the keeper touches the ball with both hands that the 6 seconds starts. This is not correct. In terms of when the guidelines indicate the referee should be starting the timer, you'll probably find that keepers more often then not keeping within the rules.

I think generally referees will err on the side of caution when applying the rule strcitly. If a referee gives the oppositon an indirtect freekick and they score and then someone times it to have been only 5.5 seconds then there will be a lot of scretching about it. I think it is one of those rules that was never supposed to be applied strictly to the clock and is simply a deterent for those really abusing it.

It was actually the 4 step rule (sorry for being pedantic) but goalkeepers could get around it by taking 4 steps, dropping the ball and then picking it up again. This was essentially amended when they changed the backpass rule which banned keepers from picking the ball up again.

Also the 6 seconds only starts once the keeper is standing and is in a realistic position to release it. So

a) if the keeper dives and is on the ground with the ball then the timer doesn't start until they stand up.
b) if they catch it in the air defending a corner then for as long as there are a load of opposition players are around the keeper, the timer doesn't start. Generally a referee will only start the 6 seconds once all the opposition players have left the area.

There is a slight misconception that the moment that the keeper touches the ball with both hands that the 6 seconds starts. This is not correct. In terms of when the guidelines indicate the referee should be starting the timer, you'll probably find that keepers more often then not keeping within the rules.

I think generally referees will err on the side of caution when applying the rule strcitly. If a referee gives the oppositon an indirtect freekick and they score and then someone times it to have been only 5.5 seconds then there will be a lot of scretching about it. I think it is one of those rules that was never supposed to be applied strictly to the clock and is simply a deterent for those really abusing it.

Not pedantic at all! Very happy to be corrected when I’m wrong.

Perhaps it needs a simple rule change.So many seconds to throw the ball into play from the time it is retrieved .Or the ball goes to the other team

Yeh seems sensible, nothing insanely short but at least nothing very very long. They have stop clocks for things in sports like basketball

For Home games on rainy days, give the ball boys a towel. With the multi ball system our players always get a dry ball returned and the away side always gets a wet one. Simples.