Rugby World Cup | Page 4 | Vital Football

Rugby World Cup

80deg16minW - 26/10/2015 13:06

Great semi finals.

Are the All Blacks the best team in sports history?

What do you think of the review panel that Ian Ritchie appointed?

If you haven't read sir clive woodwards thoughts on the panel you should.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12504/10040899/sir-clive-woodward-slams-make-up-of-rfu-panel

I agree with him totally on his views.

Great semi's indeed got the final I wanted so looking forward to that.

I would like to see Australia win but I wouldn't be upset if they don't. Let's hope all the best players on both teams are fit for the game.

A great final .... well done to the Southern Hemisphere teams...

I thought it would be a one sided battering at HT but the yellow card livened the game up but the class of NZ was just to much. Deserved winner and great tournament. I would say the only let down was england but those games against wales and Aus were good games and we were beaten by the better teams.

'Would have loved the Aussies to have won. Any team that has to try and psyche out their opposition with some primitive war dance is not in touch with the real world. This is Rugby Union not the charge of the light brigade with a x rated movie tacked on the front of it to scare and detract the opposition from their game.

Having said all that, it was a good game and well won, 'just don't like the implications of the war dance beforehand in mental or psychological terms on the part of the New Zealand team and their idiosyncrasies or their mental attitude to the game.

HOW ABOUT A NICE UNCLUTTERED GAME OF WORLD CLASS RUGBY FOR A CHANGE WITH STRAIGHT SPORT AS THE OBJECT?

Welshtel - 2/11/2015 15:28

'Would have loved the Aussies to have won. Any team that has to try and psyche out their opposition with some primitive war dance is not in touch with the real world. This is Rugby Union not the charge of the light brigade with a x rated movie tacked on the front of it to scare and detract the opposition from their game.

Having said all that, it was a good game and well won, 'just don't like the implications of the war dance beforehand in mental or psychological terms on the part of the New Zealand team and their idiosyncrasies or their mental attitude to the game.

HOW ABOUT A NICE UNCLUTTERED GAME OF WORLD CLASS RUGBY FOR A CHANGE WITH STRAIGHT SPORT AS THE OBJECT?
Some would see the singing of a song requesting a fictitious being to save an unelected leader who's family's power originates from being in touch and being the sole communicator of the said fictitious being as being rather primitive and out of touch with the real world too..

Lots of songs would have been sung or chant to inspire or unite troops before going into to battle. Or sung to represent or pay homage to a story or certain ideals a nation imposes. So surely singing's just as psychological.

The cries and noises of the crowd will have psychological impacts, hence the strength of home venues. Should the crowd watching the game remain silent in order to ensure there's no psychological impact?

Different countries, different cultures. Some sing, some dance. Just move along, respect it and get on with things.

NZ are, I believe, the most dominant team in sports history. If they use the Haka as part of their game day focussing technique then more power to them.

It was an excellent tournament. The Wales Australia game was superb. As was Japan beating SA.

Most of the Tier 2 nations provided their own story to the 6 weeks and I thoroughly enjoyed those .

There were some real breakthroughs for some national programs.

Didn't want it to end but it ended very well.

And most importantly, Dan Carter and Richie McCaw are superb role models for young athletes. There is nothing I respect more than humility alongside true greatness.

Yeah, POINT TAKEN 'meee' I just would like to see straight sport, with no non sporting help given to either side or allowed to help either side unfairly, such as, as well, in football, no shirt tugging and the like, just football, the game itself and the skills included in it. Now that would be something. Knowing that the guy kicking the ball won it and manipulated it purely with his skill, not because he gained an advantage by some other means.

To take up '80's' point, I don't think this was their way of 'focusing' on the game, more intimidation of the opposition, I've never heard the focusing theory before, though I don't totally reject it.

Just an extra point.
People DO talk about the Haka as an uncessary 'thing'. It's not done by any other teams, nobody sees it necessary to do such a thing.
It doesn't have a part to play in the game. I think once they're on the pitch, it should be a case of being there for the start of the match and they should come under the jurisdiction of the Ref(s). NO OTHER TEAMS (that I know of) try to add any other non Rugby item to the match. So why do the ALL BLACKS feel they have to? ODD.

The only other quirky thing I can think of is the French Cockerel running around the pitch.

Welshtel - 2/11/2015 16:16

Just an extra point.
People DO talk about the Haka as an uncessary 'thing'. It's not done by any other teams, nobody sees it necessary to do such a thing.
It doesn't have a part to play in the game. I think once they're on the pitch, it should be a case of being there for the start of the match and they should come under the jurisdiction of the Ref(s). NO OTHER TEAMS (that I know of) try to add any other non Rugby item to the match. So why do the ALL BLACKS feel they have to? ODD.

The only other quirky thing I can think of is the French Cockerel running around the pitch.

The Tongans have the Mate Ma, The Fijians the Bole and the Samoans have the Siva Tau. So NZ are not the only ones.

Welshtel - 2/11/2015 16:06

Yeah, POINT TAKEN 'meee' I just would like to see straight sport, with no non sporting help given to either side or allowed to help either side unfairly, such as, as well, in football, no shirt tugging and the like, just football, the game itself and the skills included in it. Now that would be something. Knowing that the guy kicking the ball won it and manipulated it purely with his skill, not because he gained an advantage by some other means.
Well that's the problem with most sports. The whole concept of the rule structure allows(and encourages) unsporting behaviour. You are allowed to break the rules as there are punishments for doing so, providing you are caught. So I have no problem with players pulling shirts/diving etc, I just think the consequences should benefit to the opposing team more than they do.

That's why I really enjoy ultimate frisbee and from the sounds of your complaints of football you would do. As it is a spirit based sport where it is all self refereed. Deliberate rule breaking rarely happens since it is effectively against the whole culture premise of the sport

I do sympathise with your frustrations about the haka but it would need to be the same for everyone. No anthems, no president prematch hand shakes etc

Jesus, whinging about the haka which has been going on for donkeys years. Just accept they have the best team for the last few years.

The haka didn't help them in the 2007 RWC did it.