Rubbish Transfer Window? No.Villa Had To Clear Up FFP Mess | Vital Football

Rubbish Transfer Window? No.Villa Had To Clear Up FFP Mess

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
A rubbish transfer window? Not really, it's a necessary one thanks to the ridiculous FFP rules.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523492">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Me, I was generally fine with the transfers out. Sorry to see Baker go, obviously triggered by import of both Terry and Samba. Thought attempting to ditch Elphick as well crazy.

What I thought was rubbish was what underlay the imports. Bruce attempting to cover up his failure to get something out of his January signings by yet more signings. Hourihane has come good almost by accident, and in the face of more signings there's still no guarantee that he'll be a first team regular. Lansbury is probably a better player than he's so far shown. Signing two more right wingers is crazy and makes an unbalanced squad even more unbalanced. All this has nothing to do with FFP, except that without it Bruce would probably signed even more.

Of course it is understandable that we had to recoup a lot more than we spent on transfer fees given how much we have wasted over the past few windows. I have my doubts as to whether getting in ageing players, lacking in pace, will work but we will have to wait and see.

Do we have a squad that is capable of promotion? Undoubtedly, although that probably applies to a dozen clubs.

Do I think we will get promoted? No, I have seen nothing yet to make me change my mind that we will finish in the top half, but below the play off positions. Our away form will need a massive improvement that, sadly, I do not see happening.

ha, very good pickle!

And yes, difficult to argue against it being unbalanced squad wise McParland.

When a few of us had the meeting with Bruce he said he thought he needed 3 transfer windows to fully sort. I wonder if he had factored in the limitations he'd face FFP wise? No idea

Bruce spent a lot of money in January so I have very little sympathy with him for not having enough money in the summer.

I actually thought this window was ok, we signed some experienced premier league players who should be more than adequate at this level. Maybe the lack of available funds was a blessing in disguise as it meant we had to make intelligent signings rather than blowing loads of money on average players without properly thinking about it

FFP is obviously influencing policy at Villa but it's disappointing that such an influential journalist as John Percy is misleading readers - the £81m reported loss is NOT the figure important for FFP purposes - http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7522978!

I don't know whether it's sensationalism or plain lazy journalism but it's certainly misleading!

Interesting comments from KW today, it's been such a bad few years - at least he's trying to provide hope that the future may be brighter!

I so hope that September sees an avalanche of points and a climb up the league!

A couple of better windows for me - improving the squad, disposing of some "deadwood" and realising cash through the sale of some under utilised players.

Spunking cash on players, whether it's £150m+ under MON or "£20m a year" for those that followed is not the answer, plus it's unsustainable in the longer term (accepting that there's really not a cash cow / magic purse and we have to live within our means...)

The answer is being better than others: buying well, selling at a profit, reinvesting profits and supporting with the development of a few home grown players every few years. Progression: remodel the squad / reduce the payroll, stabilisation, promotion, staying up, top half, Europe....

No doubt that Bruce has the tools available to mount a serious title push - well done Dr T and the rest of the Board - its all about making best use now!

I hadn't appreciated until a recent holiday that whilst in the EFL, unlike the EPL, we can sell live matchday video broadcasts direct to our overseas fans.

This is something that we should be promoting heavilly and I'm not certain that it's the case.

Before the influx of TV money Villa had a competitive advantage against most, a large stadium and good crowds - the biggest part of a clubs revenue stream. EPL TV money is broadly split evenly with a kicker for league position, Europe aside, and it's removed the advantage of being a bigger club, now it's about better club management and utilisation of resources.

I can't for the life of me see how a broadly equal share is fair - TV money is generated by viewing figures and subscriptions and advertising revenue, the bigger clubs, including Villa, generate more and should receive a bigger slice......any way

How many of those that attend Villa Park appreciate that they can buy an official stream whilst on holiday? But more importantly how many of our overseas fanbase appreciate that they can purchase all 46 games live?

I'm not sure of the size of that fanbase but remember a figure of 600,000 mentioned during the RAL years, a good proportion of those must be overseas - for each 10,000 buying 46 games we'd realise £2.8m (ignoring the season pass discount as I can't remember the amount) of revenues. It's not at EPL levels but could be scaleable and go some way to filling the gap.