Rotherham United Name Retained Players | Vital Football

Rotherham United Name Retained Players

Not scrutinised the Retained list just had a brief look through it.
Looking like we will need 10 outfield players plus 1 goalkeeper IF / WHEN VIKTOR moves on.
Maybe 11/12 outfield players if Jamie Lindsay decides to seek employment elsewhere.

We can always include some of the Academy players if need be.

A busy close season, let’s hope they get recruitment right this time.
All to play for.

Would have liked us to keep Clucas.

Hope we may get Revan back but sadly I’d be surprised if we did.
Surprised at Clucas being released. Rest of them no issues.
Perhaps Sam Clucas not being offered a contract is age and injury related.
Decent player and sure to gain a contract elsewhere.

Just guessing that we’re about to sign players that have a resale value or players that will bring the average age of the squad lower.

Saying the obvious but ….we need to sign some players that will be capable of performing in the Championship if we happen to gain promotion next season.
We already have some players that deserve to be back in the Championship.

Good luck to all the released players especially the young Academy lads.

A year is a long time in football and I remember in May 2023 Holvey and Ford both given 1 year contracts and Hairyes stating it showed that the Millers academy was '...a real production line of talent...'
I haven't looked at all the contract details but it's possible that some youngsters were retained simply because they were still under contract. As I said yesterday on another thread I would not be the slightest surprised to see the academy closed.
Similarly with senior players. Had they been out of contract I doubt if all or any of Eaves, Hugill, Green or Christ would have survived. I assume the hope is that McCart will be bought by Barnsley. Not sure who would risk taking JJ though; Carlisle on a free perhaps?
I'm only really surprised at the Lindsay scenario.
We are already in talks with players and again I wouldn't be surprised to see Nesta G-W and Jordan Roberts joining. Then I reckon we only need another GK, a box-to-box MF, an attacking goalscoring MF, a RW, a RWB/FB, a couple (at least) CDs, a forward who can play wide and as a 10 and then we're good to go! In Steve we trust.
I said after the last window that I would not waste my time checking out potential signings but find I am already scouring the net for hints and rumours.

Green and McGuckin can play wide in a front three... if ever fit. SE may have already written them off.

If nobody comes in with an offer for McCart, he would be ok as cover for us at L1 level.

Future uncertain for Kayode - few clubs (other than us, obviously) are happy to sign players who have missed a season due to injury or illness. The reality is that he has only played a handful of games in the last two seasons . I hope that he gets back to full fitness, but that may be a long way off. Given his Irish U-21 international connections, maybe a League of Ireland club would be interested in him?

Last edited:
I saw a rumour on another forum that Scott had gone to Germany to look at Joel Grodowski, 26 yo forward playing in lower leagues. A scoring sensation in his late teens, signed for Bradford but a back injury restricted him to a single appearance as sub. Sounds very risky to me if true.
Needs 3 Centre - Backs for starters unless the intention is to play Haks there.

Why not put Josh Ayres in as the fourth striker, give him a chance and save some cash to spend elsewhere.
Agreed, Guy. We could also give Ben Hatton a shot as the attacking MF/10. Hairyes reckons he's probably the best and most consistent of the academy products.

I haven't looked at all the contract details but it's possible that some youngsters were retained simply because they were still under contract. As I said yesterday on another thread I would not be the slightest surprised to see the academy closed.
Similarly with senior players. Had they been out of contract I doubt if all or any of Eaves, Hugill, Green or Christ would have survived.
Not so sure about Eaves as Steve Evans brought him in on loan the first time he was here and he's given a lot of praise Hugill's way since coming back. I'm hoping Green can overcome this injury and I like Christ Tiehi and think he will be useful (if injury free of course).

Needs 3 Centre - Backs for starters unless the intention is to play Haks there.

Why not put Josh Ayres in as the fourth striker, give him a chance and save some cash to spend elsewhere.
Oh, I hope he leaves Haks where he is and gets three more in (old fashioned centre-halves none of these backing off centre-halves).

I presuming Steve Evans hasn't seen Josh Ayres play and can only go on what he's heard.

Not so sure about Eaves as Steve Evans brought him in on loan the first time he was here and he's given a lot of praise Hugill's way since coming back. I'm hoping Green can overcome this injury and I like Christ Tiehi and think he will be useful (if injury free of course).
Praising players you know you are stuck with is not always a sincere view. Neither JH nor TE are prolific and TE was 10 years younger when SE brought him in. For me a reasonable yardstick is that in a very good Hull team in L1 in 2020-21 Tom managed 4 goals in 26 games. I hope AG comes back firing on all cylinders but that may well not be the case. Christ I like but - again only rumours from self-appointed SITK - there was a suggestion he wasn't particularly happy.

Despite the final game of the season, I suspect that there is a big gap between how well Tom Eaves thinks that he is doing and what SE thinks. After SE's previous problems with getting Schofield off the books, he may just let Eaves play out the rest of his contract "undisturbed", even if he views it as a waste of money. I hope that TE will do well in L1, and of course, a transfer offer may come in... Plymouth fans seem to rate him! :p

Last edited:
Despite the final game of the season, I think there is probably a big gap between how well Tom Eaves thinks that is doing and what SE thinks. After SE's previous problems with getting Schofield to leave, he may just let Eaves play out the rest of his contract "undisturbed", even if he views it as a waste of money. I hope that he will do well in L1, and of course, a transfer offer may come in... Plymouth fans seem to rate him! :p
Yes, I saw something about a mate of a mate who was a Plymouth fan rating TE but I haven't seen any clamour on their forums.:cry:

I see Reading have released Nesta G-W. They have also released Matt Carson 21 yo, described as '...an attacking LB and accomplished set-piece taker...' My understanding is that MC lost confidence mid-season for some reason. They have also released Clinton Mola - to the surprise of some fans - 23 yo left-footed LB, CD, DMF who has played for England at various youth levels.