Roger Hunt | Vital Football

Roger Hunt

stokeimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Another of the legends of the 1966 World Cup has "passed away peacefully at home following a long illness", age 83

I hadn’t realised that he is Liverpool’s record league scorer. Looking at the BBC website, appears he signed for Liverpool in 1958, so may well have played against the Imps. Always came over as a decent bloke. Thoughts are with his family

As a young kid I can just remember the news about Gordon Banks car crash and Alan Ball was the only one of the 11 I remember seeing on MOTD/Big Match. With hindsight I must have seen Martin Peters in his Norwich days.

Won the WC just before I was born but they are names that are ingrained in me. At least Sir Geoff seemed in really good mental and physical health last time I saw him doing a piece for a documentary, during this year's Euros.

Looking at the BBC website, appears he signed for Liverpool in 1958, so may well have played against the Imps.

He certainly played in the game at Sincil Bank in November 1959.

At the time he was 21 and had only turned professional in the summer on completion of his National Service in the army. He had made his first team debut two months previously, scoring in a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe and had now won a regular place in the side with five goals in ten games.

From a match report of the game, City were 4-1 up when "Liverpool moved the ball quickly for once when right winger Jimmy Harrower whipped in a cross for Roger Hunt to score the final goal of the game with six minutes remaining".

Home v Liverpool 14.11.59.jpg

He certainly played in the game at Sincil Bank in November 1959.

At the time he was 21 and had only turned professional in the summer on completion of his National Service in the army. He had made his first team debut two months previously, scoring in a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe and had now won a regular place in the side with five goals in ten games.

From a match report of the game, City were 4-1 up when "Liverpool moved the ball quickly for once when right winger Jimmy Harrower whipped in a cross for Roger Hunt to score the final goal of the game with six minutes remaining".

View attachment 52187

Interesting, thanks. so he could have played in the match at Anfield when Bert Linnecor scored a hattrick, That appears to be the last time when Lincoln beat Liverpool twice in a season!!

Hunt played against the Imps three times, scoring three goals:

14/11/1959
Lincoln 4 (Andy Graver 8, 75, John McClelland 37, Bert Linnecor 62)
Liverpool 2 (Dave Hickson 28, Roger Hunt 84)
Att: 10,801

2/4/1960
Liverpool 1 (Ronnie Moran 30 - pen)
Lincoln 3 (Bert Linnecor 3, 19, 64 - pen)
Att: 24,081

8/10/1960
Lincoln 1 (Derek Hawksworth 78)
Liverpool 2 (Roger Hunt 56, 85)
Att: 6,656

Interesting, thanks. so he could have played in the match at Anfield when Bert Linnecor scored a hattrick, !

He did play in that game, although it was Ronnie Moran who scored Liverpool's goal.

He scored both of Liverpool's goals in their 2-1 win at Sincil Bank in October 1960 but wasn't in the side for the return match at Anfield that season.

Wow there can't be many left now?
Bobby Charlton , Geoff Hurst and I'm not sure after that

Before my time, but know a couple of older Blues (City fans) who have met him and say he was a lovely bloke (allegiances aside)

That makes only 3 players remaining from the 66’ squad doesn’t it? (Charlton, Hurst & Cohen)

RIP Roger

Main memory of Roger is turning away from Hurst’s shot rebounding of the bar and not finishing it off. Was always said it must have been over the line otherwise he would have put it in.

Someone I'd never heard of. Think reports have said he played in World Cup. Had always thought Geoff Hurst was the forward.
Anyway sad for those who did know who he was

Someone I'd never heard of. Think reports have said he played in World Cup. Had always thought Geoff Hurst was the forward.
As was said a couple of weeks ago on a similar theme, if you have nothing positive to say on the passing of a great player and World Cup winner, say nowt.

You'll not look so ignorant that way.

As was said a couple of weeks ago on a similar theme, if you have nothing positive to say on the passing of a great player and World Cup winner, say nowt.

Sorry for not knowing who someone from the past is.
Anyway, keep enjoying belittling people.

Sorry for not knowing who someone from the past is.
Anyway, keep enjoying belittling people.
I'm not belittling people, I'm just pointing out facts. I certainly don't enjoy seeing ignorance on display and I'm suprised when people who follow the game don't seem to be aware of the game's heritage. Maybe excusable in a 19 year old but I surmise you're slightly older than that?

If you know nothing, say nothing.

Back on OP, Roger Hunt, RIP, one of the greats.

Alf Ramsey says...
"Anyway I tied an onion to my belt and played with 2 forwards, which was the style at the time"

Get a grip, he didn’t insult him, merely pointed out he didn’t know him and that it sad for those that did.

Might have even now researched into him and learnt about his achievements.

Your post is the one causing aggro on this thread.

RIP, Roger Hunt.