Rodrigo Bentancur - Player Thread | Vital Football

Rodrigo Bentancur - Player Thread

D

Departed

IMO this guy will be the acquisition of the 2021/2022 crop.

He just needs some support beside and in front of him to flourish.

None of the above have done enough consistently for me to make a judgement. Romero more so but he has temperament issues that need ironing including rashness.

We have been credited with an interest in signing Rogrigo de Paul, him Bentancur and Sarr would be a tasty midfield 3 with Skipp and Bissouma in reserve.

There is a whole load to like about Bentancur. He will run all day for you, has pace to burn and eats up the ground in front of him. He is one of those that enables everyone around him to play better. He is pretty decent on the ball as well and can get involved in the attacking play (lol - when he's allowed out his zone).

I can't wait for the Spurs fans to see the real Bissouma as well. If that partnership had been given enough time to gel as the Hojbjerg one, then we may have even been able to cope better with the 2 in midfield.

Bents and Biss would be amazing in a 4-2-3-1 with 2 roving fullbacks and 3 attacking players in front of them. They would enable it.

There is a whole load to like about Bentancur. He will run all day for you, has pace to burn and eats up the ground in front of him. He is one of those that enables everyone around him to play better. He is pretty decent on the ball as well and can get involved in the attacking play (lol - when he's allowed out his zone).

I can't wait for the Spurs fans to see the real Bissouma as well. If that partnership had been given enough time to gel as the Hojbjerg one, then we may have even been able to cope better with the 2 in midfield.

Bents and Biss would be amazing in a 4-2-3-1 with 2 roving fullbacks and 3 attacking players in front of them. They would enable it.

I'd rather a 4-3-3 that can morph into a 3-5-2, then we can easily fit in Madison and an attacking wing back on either flank and a proper real screening midfield who know how to adjust and also how to play/position themselves in transition both for attack and defence; the lack of mobility and strength in midfield is driving me insane.

I'd rather a 4-3-3 that can morph into a 3-5-2, then we can easily fit in Madison and an attacking wing back on either flank and a proper real screening midfield who know how to adjust and also how to play/position themselves in transition both for attack and defence; the lack of mobility and strength in midfield is driving me insane.
Ex I think that lack of mobility and strength can and for me be the result of injuries, Bents n Bissy, but also the none use of a young man, Sarr.

For me it is there already, but we have to get em fit and use the nippers.

Hopefully a new coach will be the right person to use the above as a stepping stone.

Ex I think that lack of mobility and strength can and for me be the result of injuries, Bents n Bissy, but also the none use of a young man, Sarr.

For me it is there already, but we have to get em fit and use the nippers.

Hopefully a new coach will be the right person to use the above as a stepping stone.

In fairness, I see what Sarr could become, but he still has a lot of improvement he has to achieve for me, his form seems up and down, as it has been since we bought him (not unusual for a young player); he has to show he can break through and make a position his own.

The obvious target starting place is Hoj's who is marmite to me; not so bad in some games and actually dreadful in others. To me to be a holding midfelder, he's just too slow, not strong enough in the challenge just doesn't make enough interceptions when it matters; he puts our defence under huge pressure almost every game.

Against Everton, he literally stood and watched Keane whilst skippy reading the situation desperately flung his body across to try and block his shot, it was just another example of him again vacating his position when it mattered.

I pray Sarr can be stronger/more mobile and be a better reader of the game when it matters, but for now, I think he has to show much more when his chances arise.

In fairness, I see what Sarr could become, but he still has a lot of improvement he has to achieve for me, his form seems up and down, as it has been since we bought him (not unusual for a young player); he has to show he can break through and make a position his own.

The obvious target starting place is Hoj's who is marmite to me; not so bad in some games and actually dreadful in others. To me to be a holding midfelder, he's just too slow, not strong enough in the challenge just doesn't make enough interceptions when it matters; he puts our defence under huge pressure almost every game.

Against Everton, he literally stood and watched Keane whilst skippy reading the situation desperately flung his body across to try and block his shot, it was just another example of him again vacating his position when it mattered.

I pray Sarr can be stronger/more mobile and be a better reader of the game when it matters, but for now, I think he has to show much more when his chances arise.
Don't get me wrong Ex everything you say is true, Sarr is still learning but he will with game time, give him the time on the field.

As far as I can see we should use/start with an SBS formation....
Skippy...Bents or Bissy...Sarr
Hoj to be kept as a bench warmer/back up.

All above is just for a start, to get us going in the long progress of a rebuild.

Don't get me wrong Ex everything you say is true, Sarr is still learning but he will with game time, give him the time on the field.

As far as I can see we should use/start with an SBS formation....
Skippy...Bents or Bissy...Sarr
Hoj to be kept as a bench warmer/back up.

All above is just for a start, to get us going in the long progress of a rebuild.

My issue is players like Sarr highlight the disconnect between a short term, "I want a winning side now' (Jose and Cunte) manager and one that wants to and should be allowed to build a winning platform - as Poch did.

We have to decide whether we still have the patience to rebuild over 3-5 seasons (a la arsenal) or want to try and take shortcuts with bigger and bigger spend gambles?

As Cunte and Moaninio was a complete fiasco, leaving us red faced, it is as you say re-build over the next few seasons, and "a la Arsenal" choke choke there!

As for the Trophies now me me brigade, not with them, lets be patient and build for the future.

I honestly now believe! Slot fits that mould of coach we desperately need!
Go get him Mr Levy or who ever does that sort of thing.

My issue is players like Sarr highlight the disconnect between a short term, "I want a winning side now' (Jose and Cunte) manager and one that wants to and should be allowed to build a winning platform - as Poch did.

We have to decide whether we still have the patience to rebuild over 3-5 seasons (a la arsenal) or want to try and take shortcuts with bigger and bigger spend gambles?

This was a good conversation. Firstly it shows that our quintet of midfielders should be our strength, not our weakness. It is about formation and roles. Even Hojbjerg has played well when he's been given a rest and a chance to recharge those batteries. The current 5 won't ever be a Maddison, but could be a platform for Maddison to play his best football. I'm not sure any of our 5 default to the guy that drops into the back line and becomes the 5th defender in the way Dier used to. Perhaps that can be nurtured though.

My instinct is saying that Bissouma will start getting Bentancur level plaudits at some point. Just like those Brighton games last season when he owned our lot. That player is in there. We just need to let it out.

As for your other point. Is there such a thing? When has buying the finished product ever worked for Spurs? Who have our best signings been in the past and in the present? I think we get there quicker with those U25 purchases. Always have done. Arsenal found that tipping point. We're not far away.

This was a good conversation. Firstly it shows that our quintet of midfielders should be our strength, not our weakness. It is about formation and roles. Even Hojbjerg has played well when he's been given a rest and a chance to recharge those batteries. The current 5 won't ever be a Maddison, but could be a platform for Maddison to play his best football. I'm not sure any of our 5 default to the guy that drops into the back line and becomes the 5th defender in the way Dier used to. Perhaps that can be nurtured though.

My instinct is saying that Bissouma will start getting Bentancur level plaudits at some point. Just like those Brighton games last season when he owned our lot. That player is in there. We just need to let it out.

As for your other point. Is there such a thing? When has buying the finished product ever worked for Spurs? Who have our best signings been in the past and in the present? I think we get there quicker with those U25 purchases. Always have done. Arsenal found that tipping point. We're not far away.

I'd love to find out this season if Alfie can make the step up; but suspect we won't know, as we'd have to give him more opportunities and play Son less - he could be our 'Maddison' and if it were me, I'd insist on finding out before the summer and f**k going for top 4 now !