RIP Tony Smith | Vital Football

RIP Tony Smith

PuB

Vital 1st Team Regular
Very sad news today that our former chairman has passed away, a Gill through and through and always did what was best for the club even in trying times. Thoughts go out to his wife and family at this sad time.

RIP and thank you for all you did Tony

Last edited:
I was thinking about Tony recently, wondering if he was still around and enjoying our recent revival. He must have been quite old.

We owe him a huge amount, not just for keeping the club afloat in the early 90s but also for being instrumental in bringing in Tony Pulis and leaving behind a substantial loan that funded much of the success that followed. He deserved far more respect than he got from our previous owner, and I hope the new regime will recognise that in some way.

Condolences to Val and the rest of the family.

Shame he wont see the good times back at Priestfield, done so much for the club during some pretty dark days early-mid 90's and had Gills in his blood.
Thoughts and best wishes to Tony's loved ones and big thanks for his love for our great club.

Reactions: PuB
Can't say I knew much about him but clearly did a massive job keeping GFC in business during the darkest days.i was living and working in London at that time so Gills past me by a fair bit .Which I regret now. Prayers and Condolences to his family and friends.
Hopefully he got to hear about the next step for Gillingham before he passed away and died happily.

A top man. Always had time to talk about Gills and always had the club at heart. A sad day for any Gills fan given what he gave to our great club in some of the toughest times and has played a big part in our history and give us the future and potential we have today.

Condolences to Val and the family.

RIP Tony.

I was thinking about Tony recently, wondering if he was still around and enjoying our recent revival. He must have been quite old.

We owe him a huge amount, not just for keeping the club afloat in the early 90s but also for being instrumental in bringing in Tony Pulis and leaving behind a substantial loan that funded much of the success that followed. He deserved far more respect than he got from our previous owner, and I hope the new regime will recognise that in some way.

Condolences to Val and the rest of the family.

I was pretty sure I saw him last month outside Priestfield before a home game. Today's sad news makes me wonder if I was mistaken.

Tony Smith was the loveliest man! Back when the club was in receivership and had the supporters meeting in the main stand I donated the money to cover the cost of the floodnights being on that night ( All on the ‘’year to remember’’ documentary)! Had a thank you from Tony for the donation, which meant a lot!

Tony Smith was the loveliest man! Back when the club was in receivership and had the supporters meeting in the main stand I donated the money to cover the cost of the floodnights being on that night ( All on the ‘’year to remember’’ documentary)! Had a thank you from Tony for the donation, which meant a lot!

I was at that meeting and remember someone offering to cover the costs of the lights.

I never met Tony but he kept the club alive at personal expense during the darkest times. RIP to a true fan.

RIP Tony.

Like Mark, I never knew him, only knew of him. But it seems everything possible to know of him was positive, genuine and GFC through and through.

RIP Tony.

Like Mark, I never knew him, only knew of him. But it seems everything possible to know of him was positive, genuine and GFC through and through.

The type of owner who quietly got on with the task in hand without wanting to be centre of attention all the time. I think and believe that's what we have in the Galinsons as well - thankfully and hopefully. Although secretly I do miss the chairman's rants, sorry chats and 40 page letters. Imagine if Scally had chosen to use twitter to communicate - tweet 1/500 :-) :-)

The type of owner who quietly got on with the task in hand without wanting to be centre of attention all the time. I think and believe that's what we have in the Galinsons as well - thankfully and hopefully. Although secretly I do miss the chairman's rants, sorry chats and 40 page letters. Imagine if Scally had chosen to use twitter to communicate - tweet 1/500 :-) :-)

A very nice man who saved us from oblivion with his generocity and also because of his friendship with Tony Pulis - bringing him to the club

Last edited:
Sad news, heard nothing but kind words about the man, still a regular at the club in recent times. Joe Dunne married one of his daughters I believe. Club saviour RIP Tony.

RIP, a True Gillingham Warrior. I hope he was well enough in the last few months to see our club in safe hands and back on the up after some worrying times.