RiP the Cardiff signing Sala | Vital Football

RiP the Cardiff signing Sala

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Was just reading about Cardiff’s record signing Emiiano Sala gone missing in a light plane over the channel. Confirmed he was on it.

My son was texting me about a Cardifff signing and I was thinking” good job it wasn’t last week”. Then realised what he was actually texting me.

Not good news all round ?

Edit - just realised not confirmed deceased. Still searching. Unfortunately can’t edit the title.

Shows just how precious life is. Off on a new adventure in a new country, financially set up for life and then in an instant its gone (assuming he's not found alive which seems unlikely given the amount of time they would have been in the water).

Thoughts to his family and friends.

Very sad story. Having seen some of the footage of him signing his contract at Cardiff over the weekend, you can see how happy and excited he was to have his chance to play in the Premier League after 4 seasons at Nantes in France.
A life changing move was ahead for him, and a potential good signing for Cardiff, as he was the French league’s 3rd highest scorer this season.
Surprised there were just 2 people on board, the player and the pilot, usually there is a chaperone of some sort too.

If the worst is confirmed you have to wonder what happened, did the pilot misjudge the weather conditions, was there a fault with the plane; still hoping for a miracle survival story.

Poor chap, must have been terrifying.

It does beg the question- who on Earth was responsible for putting a soon to be premier league player in such a tin pot plane?

I don't understand why, if he had just signed for Cardiff, he had got on a plane to cross the channel, eastwards.

Poor chap, must have been terrifying.

It does beg the question- who on Earth was responsible for putting a soon to be premier league player in such a tin pot plane?

He was - he booked the flight not any club.

I was on that very plane in the summer out of Shoreham- makes you wonder.

He was - he booked the flight not any club.

I was on that very plane in the summer out of Shoreham- makes you wonder.

An agent working for Nantes, Mark McKay, son of Willie McKay booked the flight.
Cardiff say they offered him a commercial flight out of Paris, but the player preferred to go via private plane direct from Nantes.
There is a 2.5 hour train journey from Paris to Nantes.
He signed for Cardiff last Friday, then expressed his wish to return to Nantes to collect his belongings, sort some things out and say goodbye to his teammates. He flew back to France on Saturday morning in the same plane that’s now missing, telling a teammate it was a bumpy ride.
They set off at 1915 on Monday night to return to Cardiff ready for training on the Tuesday, and the plane disappeared off radar around 2030 when flying over the Channel Islands after the pilot had requested a descent from 5,000 feet to 2,300ft.
Possible problems include icing of the wings which can be helped by descending into lower warmer air.

Last edited:
An agent working for Nantes, Mark McKay, son of Willie McKay booked the flight.
Cardiff say they offered him a commercial flight out of Paris, but the player preferred to go via private plane direct from Nantes.
There is a 2.5 hour train journey from Paris to Nantes.
He signed for Cardiff last Friday, then expressed his wish to return to Nantes to collect his belongings, sort some things out and say goodbye to his teammates. He flew back to France on Saturday morning in the same plane that’s now missing, telling a teammate it was a bumpy ride.
They set off at 1915 on Monday night to return to Cardiff ready for training on the Tuesday, and the plane disappeared off radar around 2030 when flying over the Channel Islands after the pilot had requested a descent from 5,000 feet to 2,300ft.
Possible problems include icing of the wings which can be helped by descending into lower warmer air.

Sorry i was going on the statement made by Cardiff

Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman confirmed the club had not booked the aircraft for the trip and Sala had "made his own arrangements

BBC are now reporting that a body has been found. Sad news for both families involved. Not confirmed if it's him or the pilot.
RIP

Hopefully some insurance company, not Cardiff or Nantes.

Yes, saw something somewhere about that the other day, can't remember where now. Possibly the BBC. Anyway, apparently Cardiff are insured for 16m for events such as this, they reckoned that between the transfer fee plus lost revenue in shirt sales, etc., they'd be claiming the full 16m.

Feel sorry for the guy in the pic that put "Sala" on the back of his shirt.

I wonder where the pilot is?