RIP Shane Warne | Vital Football

RIP Shane Warne

we're very often too free with words great, legend, genius, but in Shane Warne's case they apply 200%, it wasn't just the raw talent & expertise but the theatrical way he did it all. Really liked him as a pundit as well where he really showed how much he knew about the game. Very very sad.
RIP

Loved to hate him as a player, biased commentator (though what do you expect) what a talent though, nothing you can do with that, he was just clearly born with it. 52 is absolutely no age either. Such sad news.

Aussies are one of the few groups for all their faults that can actually take a joke & deal with BANTZ these days and Warne was definitely one of them.

One of the players I loved to hate growing up but an absolute legend. Brilliant cricketer and great entertainer both with a ball and with a mic.

RIP…

I don't generally watch cricket nowadays, but I did when he was playing and he was incredible the ball was doing things physics can't explain. Far far too young, rip Warney.

I don’t know if it’s nostalgia, but Warne’s era just felt like a better time to be watching cricket in general, for quality as well as entertainment. I don’t think the modern day “greats” can hold a candle to Warne, Dravid, Tendulkar, Sangakkara, McGrath, Kumble, Murali, Lara, Ponting, Steyn, Gilchrist, Kallis, Jayawardene, Akhtar, Chanderpaul, Bond (on the few occasions he was fit).

I turn a match on now and there’s nobody I want to watch, really. I hated the Aussies of that era, but Warne and McGrath were as good at playing a crowd as they were at taking wickets. Very sad to see Warnie go prematurely, although maybe not a huge surprise given his lifestyle.

I don’t know if it’s nostalgia, but Warne’s era just felt like a better time to be watching cricket in general, for quality as well as entertainment. I don’t think the modern day “greats” can hold a candle to Warne, Dravid, Tendulkar, Sangakkara, McGrath, Kumble, Murali, Lara, Ponting, Steyn, Gilchrist, Kallis, Jayawardene, Akhtar, Chanderpaul, Bond (on the few occasions he was fit).

I turn a match on now and there’s nobody I want to watch, really. I hated the Aussies of that era, but Warne and McGrath were as good at playing a crowd as they were at taking wickets. Very sad to see Warnie go prematurely, although maybe not a huge surprise given his lifestyle.

Many feel the same. I know I do. T20 came then.

Excellent post!

That's a good description of Warney and that era. Off the field it was a very different matter, he was a bugger with the ladies and ended up getting divorced although as has been shown on here he would speak and listen to anyone and was extremely popular.
Over here we have seen repeated TV pictures of when he bowled Mike Gatting round his legs in the "ball of the century" as it's known in Oz.
He will be sadly missed.