RIP Ray Wilkins | Vital Football

RIP Ray Wilkins

Fulford

Vital Football Legend
It has just been announced that our former assistant manager Ray Wilkins has passed away aged 61.
Despite his stint not being a successful one Ray was a lovely guy who had time for everyone and loved football. As a friend of his son it has come as a big shock to me.

RIP Ray.

Always came across as a decent guy. More than decent player. Remember him being introduced in the 70's as teenager "Butch Wilkins" Chelsea's bright hope for the future. 61 no age at all:shake: RIP

He was a raging alcoholic wasn't he? Just goes to show what all that booze can do to someone, even if they spent thee majority of their lives playing sport and being as fit as a fiddle.

RIP Ray.

He had a triple heart bypass operation a couple of months ago and had not been well since.

Sad loss - RIP Ray.

Always loved hearing him on TV - loved his deadpan delivery and softly-spoken manner. Shame his time with us wasn't more successful.

61. What a shame.

Sad news, and 61 is no age.

Always came across as a fair, knowledgeable and decent bloke

Shame his time with us coincided with the worst of a rotten period for the club which probably explains some of the less than friendly comments that appeared on the forum during that time.

He was always very positive abut us even after he left.

He absolutely loved Andrew Green. Said he was head and shoulders better than Adama..... not sure with that one though as Adama has been fantastic for Boro this season. Time will tell with Green.

Decent bloke, very sad. Thoughts with his family. He did his best for us, even though the cards were stacked against everyone on the football side.

RIP Ray. Always seemed a nice guy. Strange that across the forums and social media that many people are sending their condolences but, I bet, when he was coaching with us, a lot of these same people slated him week after week. I understand it was a dark period for the club but its not until an event like this people realize he was actually a human being.

Weve all got our demons , he always came across as a thoughtful and descent chap which when you here that retard savage speak makes you cringe even more in comparison.

Not his finest moment with us and his defence of Nice But Tim - but some good clips chosen on the news showing his quality on the pitch. Just wish his time with us could be looked at more fondly but obviously there were plenty of other issues affecting that.

Thoughts with his family and I hope the media honour their request for some privacy!

2nd November 1991. QPR v Villa. Won 1-0. My usual scruffy self had been offered a spare seat in a sponsored box. At the end of the game, making my way out down a long, dark corridor, I was aware of a figure, some 20 feet or so in front, holding a door open for me. It was Ray Wilkins, a player I had always admired for his class and style. As I went through the door I gibbered “thanks Ray” to which he replied “My pleasure.” His team had just lost for God’s sake! He’ll never know how his simple act of decency and kindness made this non - entity feel. I wish he could have stayed longer at our club. He had a habit of saying that he was “dangerously well” when asked how he was on talkSPORT. So, Ray, Rest Dangerously In Peace. Sleep dangerously well, mate.

2nd November 1991. QPR v Villa. Won 1-0. My usual scruffy self had been offered a spare seat in a sponsored box. At the end of the game, making my way out down a long, dark corridor, I was aware of a figure, some 20 feet or so in front, holding a door open for me. It was Ray Wilkins, a player I had always admired for his class and style. As I went through the door I gibbered “thanks Ray” to which he replied “My pleasure.” His team had just lost for God’s sake! He’ll never know how his simple act of decency and kindness made this non - entity feel. I wish he could have stayed longer at our club. He had a habit of saying that he was “dangerously well” when asked how he was on talkSPORT. So, Ray, Rest Dangerously In Peace. Sleep dangerously well, mate.

Was at that game too. My memory is somewhat different but again highlights the man he was. For those who have never been to Loftus Road, it's almost like a Subbuteo ground, you are so close to the players you can almost reach out and touch them. Anyway, Ray came over to take a corner in front of the Villa fans and got absolute dogs abuse about everything and anything. He walked over calmly looked directly at the Villa fans, smiled and winked and put a perfect ball into the box. Class., Affable, calm and charismatic. Don't see much of that nowadays. Thanks for the memories.