RIP Parky Lad | Vital Football

RIP Parky Lad

He used to write great columns about supporting Barnsley as a boy. An exotic cast of characters -family, supporters and players, featured, of whom I can remember only one -the fearsome defender Skinner Normanton.

In honesty I often found him too fan like and gushing with the bigger names and low level creepy with some of the glamorous women he interviewed, Gina Lollabrigida a prime example. I forgive all that because he brought so many genuine stars to the studio and got most of them to speak frankly and interestingly. Jokerman's reference to his Barnsley supporting anecdotes is well made, funny and affectionate in equal measure. The free pen with your life insurance stuff should be busried with him.

This is the interview that I always remember, and the question he asked John Conteh at the end (3:12 onwards) which was a bit unnecessary, but illicited a hilarious response from Peter Cook:

RIP Parky.

I had the privilege of meeting him about 15 years ago at the Royal College of Music, where he was a patron. My daughter was studying there at the time and after a concert he was standing near me in the foyer with his wife, Mary. He smiled over at me and started a conversation about why I was there. He took a deep interest in my daughter's progress and came over as a real gent and a genuine guy. Such people are rare these days. RIP.