RIP Meatloaf | Vital Football

RIP Meatloaf

LSB2

Vital Football Hero
Passed away at the age of 74. Lived life to the full, and always tried to have a good time wherever he went. A great entertainer, who sang on one of the best albums ever. I wonder where he's gone to now... He'll probably check out different places, because heaven can wait.

Sadly passed away, aged 74. His music was a seminal part of my youth and life. I queued up to get Bat out of Hell on release and played it so much the record almost became a flexi disc. Saw him on the Neverland Express tour and he was a fantastic performer and showman. Appeared in some great films too. A big man in more ways than one. RIP

Sadly passed away, aged 74. His music was a seminal part of my youth and life. I queued up to get Bat out of Hell on release and played it so much the record almost became a flexi disc. Saw him on the Neverland Express tour and he was a fantastic performer and showman. Appeared in some great films too. A big man in more ways than one. RIP

I wore out my cassette of Bat Out of Hell! Seen him live a few times, and always put on a good show. Even if he did turn up late because he'd been enjoying a bar or two...

If the Neverland Express tour was the one with a stage set of a massive motor bike, then I went to one of the shows at Hammersmith. I think that was early/mid 80s. Saw him multiple times over the years, the last being the Bat out of Hell 3 tour.

RIP.

Bat Out of Hell is one of the few iconic albums that everyone seems to know, and often owns, like Rumours or Sgt Peppers.

I confess i have done Paradise by the Dashboard Light on karaoke in the past.

The song Bat out of Hell was a jukebox favourite amongst my sixth form mates even though the song was about 15 years old by then.

Bat Out of Hell is one of the few iconic albums that everyone seems to know, and often owns, like Rumours or Sgt Peppers.

The song Bat out of Hell was a jukebox favourite amongst my sixth form mates even though the song was about 15 years old by then.
Back in the day (a long time ago) my karaoke song was Addicted to Love, but to be frank I didn't have Robert Palmer's savoir faire, let alone a tuneful voice

I sand Dashboard, with one of my sisters?! It was bloody awful!

A true legend with such a distinctive and powerful voice, ideal for Jim Steinman's operatic type songs.

I know they had their fall outs but they just fitted so well.

I have an inkling that he would have been surprised to reach such a decent innings as 74 as he was no stranger to excess, and burning the candle at both ends.

However, whenever I saw him interviewed he seem a genuinely nice humorous guy.

RIP "Meat".

Was there not a connection with Hartlepool FC?

I checked -a cropperful. Not many people would invent a connection with Hartlepool.
RIP

Last edited:
A true legend with such a distinctive and powerful voice, ideal for Jim Steinman's operatic type songs.

I know they had their fall outs but they just fitted so well.

I have an inkling that he would have been surprised to reach such a decent innings as 74 as he was no stranger to excess, and burning the candle at both ends.

However, whenever I saw him interviewed he seem a genuinely nice humorous guy.

RIP "Meat".
Do/did you have Steinman's Bad for Good album? I thought it was excellent (still listen to it now and then).
Basically a Meatloaf album with Steinman singing. I may be committing blasphemy here but I actually think (in some of the tracks) his voice was better 🤔
All the same, RIP Meatloaf, proper music legend.

Do/did you have Steinman's Bad for Good album? I thought it was excellent (still listen to it now and then).
Basically a Meatloaf album with Steinman singing. I may be committing blasphemy here but I actually think (in some of the tracks) his voice was better 🤔
All the same, RIP Meatloaf, proper music legend.
You've taken one too many blows to the head Nobby ;) Bad for Good is a good album but Steinman's voice isn't a patch on Meat's. The album was supposed to be the follow up to Bat out of Hell but Meat Loaf had a problem with his voice, hence why Steinman recorded it. It is a very good album but there's a big difference when you listen to Meat Loaf's subsequent versions of them, even allowing for the aging of his voice at the time of the various recordings. Granted, Love and Death and an American Guitar, being spoken, is pure Steinman. I would have loved to have heard Meat Loaf's versions recorded back in 1978, 79 or 80.

Generally I'd agree, there are just two or three tracks that I think suit Steinman's voice better. As you say, it's a Meatloaf album with a different singer, all a matter of opinion though and not meant to take anything away from Meatloaf's legend.

Bearing in mind that Rory Dodd was lead vocals on Lost Boys and Golden Girls, Surf's Up and Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through. I'm as big a fan of Steinman (love the Pandora's Box album "Original Sin") as I am of Meat Loaf, losing one last year was bad, now having lost both is a massive loss to the music industry. I was hopeful that I would get to see Meat Loaf one more time.

Generally I'd agree, there are just two or three tracks that I think suit Steinman's voice better. As you say, it's a Meatloaf album with a different singer, all a matter of opinion though and not meant to take anything away from Meatloaf's legend.
I think a lot of the tracks from that album ended up on Meat Loaf albums down the line, especially Bat out of Hell 2.

If you like that kind of stuff try listening to Original Sin by Pandora's Box. It was essentially 4 female singers led by Ellen Foley, doing Steinman songs. I think that was the first time It's all Coming Back to Me Now was heard, long before Sea Lion Dying butchered it.