RIP Larry Lloyd | Page 2 | Vital Football

RIP Larry Lloyd

I remember being in a petrol station on the way back from somewhere when we were in the Prem years ago. I can't remember who we played but we'd been beaten heavily. I asked him what he thought, he picked a sack of chocolate coins (it was around Christmas time) up from a display box and threw them on the counter and said "I wouldn't pay the ***** in them". He then turned to the cashier and said "I'll take them as well".

That pest exterminator guy that used to post on here used to walking football with larry Lloyd. Think is was spainred or something along those lines.

Saw them all play regularly. Did you?
Well there are people who saw Gareth Taylor play regularly and bought shirts with "Taylor" on the back, but that does not mean that I would agree with their judgment.
Kenny Burns played alongside Lloyd, and was Football Writers' Player of the Year in 1978. Des Walker got 59 England caps (Forest's second most England caps behind Pearce) in a team that got to the semifinals of the World Cup.

Well there are people who saw Gareth Taylor play regularly and bought shirts with "Taylor" on the back, but that does not mean that I would agree with their judgment.
Kenny Burns played alongside Lloyd, and was Football Writers' Player of the Year in 1978. Des Walker got 59 England caps (Forest's second most England caps behind Pearce) in a team that got to the semifinals of the World Cup.
So you didn't.

Lloyd won 2 league titles with 2 excellent teams. 2 European cups.

Gary Birtles once told me a story about Larry.

The players were all sat in the dressing room after training one day, and in walked Clough.

He sat down next to David Needham, and started praising Needham.

Clough said "you're a lovely person David, I could take you round to my house for Tea and Barbara would love you"

"but do you see him over there" and pointed at Larry

"Well, he's a right bastard, and that's why he's in the team and you are not"

Walker would not have got in that side; it would have been him or Kenny Burns, and it was Kenny all the way for me.

Lloyd was an out and out Centre Half, something neither Burns or Walker was.

Walker had pace to burn, but Burns could read a game as well as anyone.

Lloyd was a big brute of a player but he was clever with it.

When you look at that central pairing with Shilton behind them, it was one of the best there has every been.

So you didn't.

Lloyd won 2 league titles with 2 excellent teams. 2 European cups.
Well I saw him play, but not as regularly as you. Anyway, as I put in my last post, this is supposed to be about in memoriam for Larry Lloyd, not a debate about how good he was. So if it makes you feel better, you can win.

BBC extolling the contributions that our Larry made for Liverpool and not a mention of what he’s done for us. Is it just me or was our Larry appointed as an ambassador for our club. If the BBC treated the government in the same way as they treated Liverpool then there would be impartiality issues. Sickening.

Walker would not have got in that side; it would have been him or Kenny Burns, and it was Kenny all the way for me.

Lloyd was an out and out Centre Half, something neither Burns or Walker was.

Walker had pace to burn, but Burns could read a game as well as anyone.

Lloyd was a big brute of a player but he was clever with it.

When you look at that central pairing with Shilton behind them, it was one of the best there has every been.
Yes Larry was in the team to head the ball away and Kenny was the quick clever tough guy next to him. Outstanding central defensive partnership. I even saw Larry score a 25 yard screamer against York City in the FA cup on a show covered pitch at the city ground. God bless him.