RIP Charles Henry a Blade | Vital Football

RIP Charles Henry a Blade

Longshortandtall

Vital Reserves Team
My Dad passed away peacefully on Saturday aged 96 in the Care Home. Charles Henry were his first 2 names. I spoke about him before on the D day thread. He was there for his country on 6 June 1944 on Sword Beach. An orphan from Nottingham he'd joined up in 1943 at the age of 17.

In 1946 whilst on service in India his mate from Sheffield Jimmy Truelove a Heeley lad told him his girlfriend had a friend who would like to write to him. The rest is history as he met my mum in 1947 when he was de mobbed moved to Sheffield and was married within 6 weeks.

In 1947 he decided to go to BDTBL one afternoon and was hooked from that moment watching Jimmy Hagan. He was there in 1956 in the Burnley cup tie when the barrier gave way injuring fans. He went to the semi finals against Leicester in 1961 and said the ref gave us nothing in the deciding game at St Andrews.

He was crippled with arthritis from the age of 35 following an injury to his leg but still found time to take me to reserve games and then we stood at the pavilion in the mid sixties for first team games. We even went away to the 1968 quarter final against Leeds but I knew by that time he was struggling and in pain. He eventually had an operation that helped but it affected his mobility and his appearances at the Lane were limited.

He always listened to the match on the radio on Saturday afternoons and up to last year was still asking how the Blades were doing. Unfortunately lockdown affected his memory. I managed to get in to see him towards the end. A Nottingham lad but 100% Blade.

Proud of you Dad. Proud you brought me up a Blade. Thank god Jimmy Trulove lived in Heeley and not Hillsborough. SUFC Heaven supporter now Dad RIP.

My Dad passed away peacefully on Saturday aged 96 in the Care Home. Charles Henry were his first 2 names. I spoke about him before on the D day thread. He was there for his country on 6 June 1944 on Sword Beach. An orphan from Nottingham he'd joined up in 1943 at the age of 17.

In 1946 whilst on service in India his mate from Sheffield Jimmy Truelove a Heeley lad told him his girlfriend had a friend who would like to write to him. The rest is history as he met my mum in 1947 when he was de mobbed moved to Sheffield and was married within 6 weeks.

In 1947 he decided to go to BDTBL one afternoon and was hooked from that moment watching Jimmy Hagan. He was there in 1956 in the Burnley cup tie when the barrier gave way injuring fans. He went to the semi finals against Leicester in 1961 and said the ref gave us nothing in the deciding game at St Andrews.

He was crippled with arthritis from the age of 35 following an injury to his leg but still found time to take me to reserve games and then we stood at the pavilion in the mid sixties for first team games. We even went away to the 1968 quarter final against Leeds but I knew by that time he was struggling and in pain. He eventually had an operation that helped but it affected his mobility and his appearances at the Lane were limited.

He always listened to the match on the radio on Saturday afternoons and up to last year was still asking how the Blades were doing. Unfortunately lockdown affected his memory. I managed to get in to see him towards the end. A Nottingham lad but 100% Blade.

Proud of you Dad. Proud you brought me up a Blade. Thank god Jimmy Trulove lived in Heeley and not Hillsborough. SUFC Heaven supporter now Dad RIP.
A dad to be proud of.

I'm so sorry to hear of your DAD's passing mi owd pal.He sounds like a real Hero.My DAD was my Hero, he was a Bevan Boy in the war,but he also idolised Jimmy(possibly the 3rd best BLADES player of all time after GOD&WOODY).:whistle: I send sincere condolences to you and your family and all CHARLES HENRY'S Friends.UTB

Condolences LST,
Your old fella was a real life genuine 100% hero and a Blade as well.

One thing for sure, after such an amazing life he will definitely be resting in peace

A true heart warming story. I still see my dad and me stood behind the goal on BLE, certain you will see you and yours stood watching at the Pavilion end. A great man and Blade. Condolances LST, RIP Charles Henry.

HELLO PAL SORRY TO HEAR about ya dad. My dad got a brother called jimmy we are Trueloves as well. He emigrated to australia after the war not sure if its the same Jimmy Truelove but what a coincidence . Mi uncle JIM big blade as well. utb