Rik Mayall | Vital Football

Rik Mayall

That is sad, so young too. I loved him in The New Statesman. RIP.

Was a comedy hero of mine when i was growing up and seen him on his stand up tour in Jesmond in the 80's and he was brilliant, RIP Rik.

Gutted he was class him and Adrian Edmondson in Bottom and the Young Ones not forgetting the live shows they did.

A larger than life character. I used to like his mad Kevin Turvey character as well as the usual suspects.

Stumbled on this quote from The Young Ones

"I feel sorry for you, you zeros, you nobodies. What's going to live on after you die? Nothing, that's what! This house will become a shrine! And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, 'But why are the kids crying?' And the kids will say, 'Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!' ... And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, 'Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?'"

There you go chief, after 30 years and watching it about 100 times it still makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3cQNzQiI3s