Ricky Holmes. | Vital Football

Ricky Holmes.

Regardless of whether he has been receiving pay there are costs involved: accommodation possibly; medical/physio treatment; travel costs; kit.

Always smacked of desperation. Lovell's inability to wheel and deal is a major failing - showing his inexperience

Regardless of whether he has been receiving pay there are costs involved: accommodation possibly; medical/physio treatment; travel costs; kit.
Medical treatment wouldn’t be huge as he joined us after the main course of treatment. He’s used up some of the physio’s time, but that’s hardly a huge factor. I think you’re reaching.

If we were paying a hefty percentage of his wages then I would fully agree with you. As it happens we’re all expecting us not to have done, and the fact this transfer happened in the first place along with the relative indifference by the coaching staff suggests this too.

Kit? He hasnt played! Shirts are going for £15 in the club shop.

As others have said, he's cost us probably a bit of physio time, who was there anyway prkbably already on full time wages. Maybe kettnerd can clarify.

Cant see hes cost us much, if anything at all. Yet seemed to give fans amazing positivity when we signed him. That's an intangible benefit, but avery real one. Also if we do get him next year that would also be great.

It would be great if we can sign him next season- he's always been an absolute pest when I've seen him play against us

Cant see hes cost us much, if anything at all. Yet seemed to give fans amazing positivity when we signed him. That's an intangible benefit, but avery real one. Also if we do get him next year that would also be great.
This is a really good point. There were a huge amount of positive posts on here when first Lopez and then Holmes were signed. It went from “typical Gills and Scally, never do anything in the transfer window” to “wow, that is a statement that we’re committed to fighting for league one survival”

As a whole I think the gamble payed off, as someone else said, maybe Holmes is a good character to have round the place too. Barring a balls up of monumental proportions we look safe now. Why try and pick holes in Things? lets just enjoy it.

Nicked from FB but Holmes completes an infamous 11 of Gills signed players who didn't manage 90mins.

Finally...the 'Signed But Never Managed 90 Minutes' XI is complete!! 3-4-3 is bit risky and the midfield is full of wingers, but since they'll all have gone off injured by Half Time, I don't suppose the formation really matters!

Simon Locke Anthony Scarramozzino, Bondz NGala, Gary Borrowdale Stanley Aborah, Ricky Holmes, Ryan Williams, Jesse Starkey Shabazz Baidoo, Scott Vernon, Rhys Murphy

I had to Google Simon Locke, couldn’t remember him coming and still can’t to be honest - I expected to see Charlie Mitten in goal. There are some real shockers in that list. Some couldn’t even get anywhere near truly awful teams.

Holmes and Vernon are a bit out of place in there though. Both would have made a difference for us if fit.

The Ryan Williams one still confuses me - I recall Martin Allen telling a reporter how he can’t wait to see him taking people on, running towards the Rainham End - I don’t think he even played as a sub, did he?

To be fair to most of those, we never owned any of them with a mixture of short terms loans, or in the case of Stanley Aborah were only given 1-2 month "trial" contracts.

Simon Locke I think was only signed on loan as a back up. Either Royce or Julian got injured I think.

Bondz NGala obviously was banned from playing otherwise he probably would have been given pitch time.

Scott Vernon would have played 90 minutes if he hadn't injured himself after about 20 minutes of his debut or so.

I bet a list of players like this at every other lower league club would be as long or longer than ours.

Edited.

Last edited:
Don't get why fans are so uptIght about Ricky Holmes. We signed him injuried .I would be certain that Lovell /Scally would have not agreed to sign him and pay his wages until he played.