Richie Barker | Vital Football

Richie Barker

<b>Official Crawley Site

Club statement

Crawley Town Football Club can confirm that it has terminated the contract of First Team manager Richie Barker with immediate effect.

The club will make an announcement as soon as possible on who will look after team affairs in the interim period and we ask our supporters to have patience while the process of finding a new manager is undertaken.

The club will not be making any further comment at this stage.</b>

You can get odds of 1/3 against ... Seems out of the blue .. So I reckon he's been in contact with Pompey and Crawley don't like it and so have sacked him

<b>From The BBC
Crawley Town have terminated the contract of manager Richie Barker with immediate effect.

The 38-year-old former Bury boss had been in charge since August 2012.

He guided them to 10th place in League One last season, but they have not won any of their last seven games, scoring only once.

The Reds are unbeaten in the last four games in all competitions following a 0-0 draw at home to Swindon on Tuesday.

However, Barker had acknowledged their goalscoring problems and told BBC Sussex: "The statistic of number of goals in games is not great admittedly, but at some point we have to pick up points and results. To do that you have to keep clean sheets."

He continued: "Earlier on in the season when we were scoring and conceding loads of goals people were asking about clean sheets.
"I do understand people want to come and see goals. We want to make it an entertaining place to come, but we have to grind out the odd result throughout 46 games in what is a long season.
"I said to the players when things were going really well that we need to make hay while the sun shines as at some point it won't work for us. Unfortunately that is the point we are going through at the minute."
Barker was formerly a striker for a number of clubs including Sheffield Wednesday, Brighton, Macclesfield, Rotherham, Mansfield and Hartlepool.
He was given his first chance in management by Bury, becoming caretaker boss when Alan Knill left for S****horpe in April 2011, and was confirmed in the post two months later.
Prior to his dismissal by Crawley, he had been linked with the vacant job at Portsmouth, having previously worked alongside Pompey chief executive Mark Catlin at Bury.
</b>

The search for a new manager has taken another twist, the bookies favourite Richie Barker has been sacked by Crawley.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?538832">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

It would seem that <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Richie Barker</font></b> will now become the new Pompey manager?

Well, that is putting two and two together of course...

Already installed by most bookies as the favourite, and also someone that is admired by our hierarchy, he has been surprisingly sacked by Crawley this evening!

An official statement from them read: <I>'Crawley Town Football Club can confirm that it has terminated the contract of First Team manager Richie Barker with immediate effect.

'The club will make an announcement as soon as possible on who will look after team affairs in the interim period and we ask our supporters to have patience while the process of finding a new manager is undertaken.

'The club will not be making any further comment at this stage.'</I>

Yesterday, both before and after Crawley played Swindon he refused to be drawn on speculation linking him with our job.

Now that compensation is no longer required, with him having been sacked, it would seem surprising if he was not now installed as our new manager?

It is thought that perhaps permission to speak with us might not have been something they would have granted, and if he did this (or was going to anyway) this would not have gone down well with the Crawley board – hence his sacking?

All very odd, but I would guess our search for a manager will not last much longer?

It would be good for us to look seriously at all the candidates though and conduct interviews with them as even though Barker looks to be a good up and coming coach he lacks the experience that I think most of us think we need at this juncture...

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth' target='blank'><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.<BR><BR>PLAY UP POMPEY!<BR><BR><a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17642' target='blank'><b>Match Day Live v Hartlepool will take place in this forum thread on Saturday - click here</b></a>.<BR><BR><a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17448' target='blank'><b>Click here to make your prediction: Hartlepool v Pompey</b></a>.<BR><a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-freeze.asp?tid=17234' target='blank'><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Wycombe</b></a>.

All very odd...

I seriously hope that proper interviews will be conducted with the board being <b>unanimous</b> in their decision as to what happens next and Catlin's previous with Barker isnt the defining factor?

We have 80-90 candidates, I would hope that we whittle this down to half a dozen or so an interview them and <b>then</b> decide who the best option is?

It could well be that Barker wanted to bring in a loan striker before the loan deadline tomorrow, they refused he kicked-off, they kicked-off and it ended in his sacked?

Who knows...

I agree Rug ... just because he is now available doesn't mean we should reject all other .. there might be a diamond or two in that 80 or 90 applications

Does seem odd though

From the Crawley angle wouldn't it have made more sense for them to hang on and claim some compensation if they thought Pompey or Scunny were seriously interested?

PFCblue - 27/11/2013 19:03

From the Crawley angle wouldn't it have made more sense for them to hang on and claim some compensation if they thought Pompey or Scunny were seriously interested?

It would Blue, but the timing just seems too convenient.

Have to admit. I'm with you Blue, it does indeed smell! Stinks a little rotten, possibly I'm a million miles away, but if he did become our manager, can you imagine the uproar we'd all be kicking up if it was done to us! (Appreciate it's all hyperbole at the minute)

It does all seem rather obvious.. Catlins mate and all that. If it does turn out to be Barker, I just wonder how long its been in the melting pot?

Still mystified by this...

You cannot help but come to the conclusion that Barker is now nailed on to get out job, or the Scunny one? Pompey seems more likely given his previous with Catlin.

But <b><i>WHY</b></i> would Crawley not want compo for him?

He surely must have asked for permission to speak to us (or Scunny) but they were not keen on this so he decided to talk anyway, maybe was found to have spoken to Catlin?

They then sacked him for breaching a contract - all very odd and is he <b><i>DOESNT</b></i> wind up in a job somewhere he has made a grave error...

I am not against the Barker idea, but sincerely hope that Catlin isnt having too much sway, and power, over this call as its one that must be right.

Like I say above with so many applicants it would be foolish not to narrow the list down to half a dozen or so and give them all a proper shot and interview them with the board coming to a unanimous decision on someone they all want, not just once individual convincing the rest...

cornypomp - 27/11/2013 19:01

Backhander.... no compo... simples...

If it is something like that then we're drifting back into the world of dirty dealings.

I thought transparency was the new buzzword. I hope the directors have control of Catlin.

Lets not make assumptions just yet, would hope nothing untoward has taken place...

Granted, it would be very strange if he does end up getting the job, which I would guess seems likely now?

Will just (once again) say that I hope that the board give serious thought to this and collectively agree that its in PFC's best interests to hear out half a dozen serious candidates then make a collective decision based on that process.