Richardson OUT! | Page 4 | Vital Football

Richardson OUT!

Nobody died no but to me feels like the culture amd values of the club has. Had messages from around 40 fans today. Not met one who condones this decision

To be fair OoohaaahDP, I don't think it's a case of condoning it ... just understanding that it probably had to be done.

There's little argument (when you look at the form over the last 20 odd games, including the back end of last season) that it completely justifies the manager losing his position.

Though personally, I'd have loved him to have stayed (and done a Cookie), I have to acknowledge that the owner/board (not sure who'd made the decision) thought that they had to take some kind of action ... however regrettable that may be.

No matter how much anyone has done in the past, how nice a person they are no one is bigger than the club. The only relevant question is are results and performances good enough, are you getting the best out of what you have and are there signs there that it is can / will get better?

At this level Richardsons results have been very similar to Joyce's and a similar style of play (W5, D5, L10, GF19, GA30 vs W5, D5, L12, GF17, GA25).

Relegation costs you 6m+ in revenue and the lack of tv money in L1 guarantees you lose millions per season you can't base decisions on sentiment when the financial realities effect the clubs sustainability.
It will cost a lot more than 6 million to get a New manager who will want money to spend not going to end well this 😳

To be fair OoohaaahDP, I don't think it's a case of condoning it ... just understanding that it probably had to be done.

There's little argument (when you look at the form over the last 20 odd games, including the back end of last season) that it completely justifies the manager losing his position.

Though personally, I'd have loved him to have stayed (and done a Cookie), I have to acknowledge that the owner/board (not sure who'd made the decision) thought that they had to take some kind of action ... however regrettable that may be.

Because low and behold without spending a penny we have for a week of Liams tenure we have had a drop into the Championship bottom 3. Its 3 weeks of bad form FFS. Mid October we were worried about him being taken off us!

Nobody died no but to me feels like the culture amd values of the club has. Had messages from around 40 fans today. Not met one who condones this decision

You're personal friend circle agreeing with you doesn't mean everyone does, there are plenty of people who think this is the right choice. Including a number of people you are discussing it with on here.

If you don't agree this is the right choice that's cool, it's your opinion but making out the club has committed a grave moral sin for sacking a manager who's got a record similar to Joyce's at this level is just silly. Unless you were arguing that Joyce should've kept his job too? It's at the very least understndable when the ownership risk relegation and a 6m reduction in revenue, lower gates etc.

It is ridiculously hyperbolic suggesting that changing manager is the death of the clubs values.

It will cost a lot more than 6 million to get a New manager who will want money to spend not going to end well this 😳

Barely any clubs spent anything NET this summer at this level, most operate on frees and loans or reinvesting if they make a sale.

Virtually no teams will buy anyone in January - it'll be loans for most, including us regardless of who are manager is.

Correct decision as he needed to go because the football was getting worse and Leam was too stubborn to change his favourites and was tactically inept.
Need to get someone in who tries to attack the opposition and put them on the back foot especially at home and also uses the WHOLE of the squad and not just certain individuals.

Thanks to Leam for everything he has done during his time at Wigan and I am sure he will get another job at a team at league one /two standard where his tactics will not look out of place.

You're personal friend circle agreeing with you doesn't mean everyone does, there are plenty of people who think this is the right choice. Including a number of people you are discussing it with on here.

If you don't agree this is the right choice that's cool, it's your opinion but making out the club has committed a grave moral sin for sacking a manager who's got a record similar to Joyce's at this level is just silly. Unless you were arguing that Joyce should've kept his job too? It's at the very least understndable when the ownership risk relegation and a 6m reduction in revenue, lower gates etc.

It is ridiculously hyperbolic suggesting that changing manager is the death of the clubs values.

Richardson performed miracles in the last 2 seasons and has been allowed to bring in a grand total of two players (Nyambe and Scully) due to financial constraints. Find me another team that have brought in two players followihg promotion and been succesful.

Because low and behold without spending a penny we have for a week of Liams tenure we have had a drop into the Championship bottom 3. Its 3 weeks of bad form FFS. Mid October we were worried about him being taken off us!

I consider myself as someone who was more than happy to give Leam the benefit of the doubt. I saw good stuff in games where we played too much hoofball. I saw missed chances being the difference between a win, or at least a draw, against the inevitable loss. I even tried to understand and reason why he made the (conservative) selections he did, even when they weren't always agreed by everyone.

However, all that said, other than for non-footballing reasons, I can't think of any justification for him keeping his job ... sad though that may be.

What he did last season - and the one before - was fantastic. I don't buy all the "we had better players" stuff ... and especially not when most of them have been slagged off this season. However, sentimentality understandably can't play a role in whether a manager stays or goes.

I just hope we get another good un, as our record after sacking previous good uns isn't great.

Barely any clubs spent anything NET this summer at this level, most operate on frees and loans or reinvesting if they make a sale.

Virtually no teams will buy anyone in January - it'll be loans for most, including us regardless of who are manager is.

It will need our new Manager's contacts in the game to get some decent players on Loan and what 'future' our Owners are offering any new signings.

I consider myself as someone who was more than happy to give Leam the benefit of the doubt. I saw good stuff in games where we played too much hoofball. I saw missed chances being the difference between a win, or at least a draw, against the inevitable loss. I even tried to understand and reason why he made the (conservative) selections he did, even when they weren't always agreed by everyone.

However, all that said, other than for non-footballing reasons, I can't think of any justification for him keeping his job ... sad though that may be.

What he did last season - and the one before - was fantastic. I don't buy all the "we had better players" stuff ... and especially not when most of them have been slagged off this season. However, sentimentality understandably can't play a role in whether a manager stays or goes.

I just hope we get another good un, as our record after sacking previous good uns isn't great.

Yeah bloody rubbish Liam. How did you not get us mid table with the owners splashing out on 2 players FFS. Bahrainis deluded.

Yeah bloody rubbish Liam. How did you not get us mid table with the owners splashing out on 2 players FFS. Bahrainis deluded.
I don't think the Bahrainis were/are deluded at all. We have no idea of the discussions around how much money was available, and who was wanted but deemed unaffordable.

From the outset, it seemed that through his selections, he was (understandably) intent on staying loyal to those who performed so well for him last season. Nyambe only came in when Darikwa was injured. Shinnie still struggled to get picked in the 1st XI. Thelo is still predominantly a bench warmer.

Though it looks like he wasn't backed, we don't know if that's actually the case or not.

We have a scary track record post Prem when it comes to picking managers.

Coyle - Bad
Rosler - Good
Malky - Bad
Caldwell - Good
Joyce - Bad
Cook - Good
Sheridan - Bad
Leam - Good

Doesn't bode well does it...

It’s an absolute disgrace this is not the club it once was - Liam is Latics through and through these lot will drop the club at the drop of a hat - just because someone is paraded wearing a Latics scarf means nothing - no loyalty at all !

It’s an absolute disgrace this is not the club it once was - Liam is Latics through and through these lot will drop the club at the drop of a hat - just because someone is paraded wearing a Latics scarf means nothing - no loyalty at all !

Its loyalty that's got him sacked. If the criteria is to be Latics through and through then give the job to the tea lady...she's been with the club ages.

I love Leam but don't love him more than our survival.

Massive thanks to Leam for everything he's done for our club and I hope the next manager is half as loyal whoever we get.
I suppose one good thing may be that if a new boss is appointed pretty soon he (or she, one never knows?) will have a good amount of time to get to know the players and instill his own methods and style of play into the squad with hopefully most players fit and rested before the next game.

Richardson performed miracles in the last 2 seasons and has been allowed to bring in a grand total of two players (Nyambe and Scully) due to financial constraints. Find me another team that have brought in two players followihg promotion and been succesful.

We brought in 5 players, not 2 - loan players still count as incomings. But It's not how much money you spend it's about making the most out of what you've got. McGrath, Broadhead and Shinnie, Fletcher and Scully all have been under utilised. Can we complain about not having good enough players when we don't even start the best ones you have every week or give the new arrivals a chance?

Of course you have to take that into account the quality of squad, i don't think anyone thinks the squad is strong and that we aren't going to be in a relegation battle. But the way we are playing, is making us look far worse than we realistically should be. You can accept losing but the manner of losing hasn't been anything like good enough.

If we were playing like we did against Watford every week and losing we wouldn't be talking about if the manager needs to go, as we were brave against better opposition but just came up short. But we have had vital 6 pointers against a combination of teams in poor form, terrible away records, managerless, injury hit etc. and we were so negative and poor. The home form is probably as bad as we've ever had and we can't even do a basic thing like take a throwin.

None of the teams we've lost to recently were that great sides, they were all very winnable games if we turned up but we just made it easy for them. We didn't create many chances, barely tested the keeper in all those combined and on the occasion we did manager to score capitulated under pressure.

We know we can play decent passing football if we try but the tactics of choice are still long ball which we are hopeless at. We've been playing that for 18 months we've never got any better at it and when we should be looking to move away from it we seem to be doubling down on it.

Take out any sentimentality, was Joyce's record good enough, did you want him to stay or was it right to move him on? As Richardson has pretty much an identical record at this level.

We have a scary track record post Prem when it comes to picking managers.

Coyle - Bad
Rosler - Good
Malky - Bad
Caldwell - Good
Joyce - Bad
Cook - Good
Sheridan - Bad
Leam - Good

Doesn't bode well does it...

To be fair though how many of the bad choices did the majority of people think were going to be good choices when we made them?

You never know how it will work out but some of them weren't good bets in the first place.

Warren Joyce at home: 1 win, 3 draws, 7 defeats - 6 scored, 16 conceded.

Leam Richardson at home this season: 1 win, 3 draws, 6 defeats - 6 scored, 17 conceded.

Other than two corners we've failed to create a meaningful chance from open play in the last four games. In three of those, we were in the game in the second half at 0-0 then gave up committing players forward, played for a 0-0 and lost all three.

The way in which we are losing these games will have irked those who wield the axe as much as the losses themselves.

Other than Joyce I've never actively railed for a manager's departure, but I think many of us could see from a mile away that Leam was for some reason ideologically committed to defeatist football and, the longer it went, the worse it was going to get (and it did).

He wasn't properly backed and he made it clear all summer in interviews that he wasn't happy and I sympathise with Leam in that regard, but a League Two or National League side would've shown more guile going forwards against Championship opposition at home than we have this season. You can't blame that on a 'League One squad' unfortunately.

Other than highlights, I haven't seen us play at all this season so I'll not make any comment on performances, tactics and all that jazz or comment on other people's views of them.
What I will say though is that after keeping us up with the resources he had & then getting us promoted after starting with a squad of 5 (I think) & paying relatively little in transfer fees, then IMO he (or anyone else in the same boat) deserved more time to adjust & get it right - if that meant us going down & the naysayers being proved right then so be it in all honesty.

I'm gutted to see him go & I appreciate that more than a little bit of that may be for sentimental reasons