Rhead | Vital Football

Rhead

Ruskingtony

Vital Squad Member
If Danny starts with Rhead up front on Saturday , and I don't think we have any alternative. Then I feel we have to start with Farman in goal. I know that Allsop has looked more solid and has made less errors but his kicking and distribution are woeful. In fact I feel he totally negates Rhead's threat by not being able to kick further. I know this is not pretty football but with the players we have got it is when we are more dangerous. It would be great to have midfielders who could thread through the killer balls to forwards to run onto but we don't have them. Danny probably bought Pett and Frecks in to do this but they are sadly providing nothing.
If Bozzie starts at the back again I would also start with Whitehouse in midfield.
My starting line up injuries permitting.
Farman
Eardley Waterfall Bostwick Habergham
Anderson Woodyard Whitehouse Roe
Rhead and Green.
We have to go for the win another loss and then playoffs will look very doubtful.

Amazing how differently people see things. I think Allsop's kicking and distribution is top quality. He doesn't kick the ball, he strokes it accurately and unlike Farms it tends to stay on the pitch and/or not go straight to the opposition goalkeeper.

Skip155 - 1/3/2018 08:35

Amazing how differently people see things. I think Allsop's kicking and distribution is top quality. He doesn't kick the ball, he strokes it accurately and unlike Farms it tends to stay on the pitch and/or not go straight to the opposition goalkeeper.

I missed the Crewe game, but agree with you based on his previous matches, looked very controlled.

It would be great to have midfielders playing killer balls through. But recently Matt Green has been so isolated, it would get us nothing more than we are. The high coordinated press seems to have eroded since January. We seem to be picking an 11 that is trying to be a pressing team and a ball retaining team at the same time. The result is a hybrid that is failing in both areas and making us look a poor side, which we really aren't.
Fix that and then worry about the rest of it.

I thought Alsop's kicking against Crewe was pretty poor, tbh. It was better in previous games, however.

plumbob - 1/3/2018 08:51

It would be great to have midfielders playing killer balls through. But recently Matt Green has been so isolated, it would get us nothing more than we are. The high coordinated press seems to have eroded since January. We seem to be picking an 11 that is trying to be a pressing team and a ball retaining team at the same time. The result is a hybrid that is failing in both areas and making us look a poor side, which we really aren't.
Fix that and then worry about the rest of it.

Agreed, hence my "Missing in Action..." thread after Crewe. I don't mind what plan we have, so long as it works. We had a plan that worked - high-pressing, high-energy, hunt in packs and get it forward quickly. Not pretty, but it won us one of the toughest Leagues in football last year.

Now? I don't really know what we're trying to do or how the new signings fit in.

Agree Notty I too think Allsops kicking is generally better than Farmans but hasn’t been as good recently. I think Vickers when back probably edges it for distribution

NottyImp - 1/3/2018 09:03

I thought Alsop's kicking against Crewe was pretty poor, tbh. It was better in previous games, however.

You may be right. To be fair I've already exorcised most of that nightmare.

Skip155 - 1/3/2018 09:13

NottyImp - 1/3/2018 09:03

You may be right. To be fair I've already exorcised most of that nightmare.

That's for the best. Any flashbacks can be addressed in therapy. :pointy:

Ruskingtony - 1/3/2018 07:47

If Danny starts with Rhead up front on Saturday , and I don't think we have any alternative. Then I feel we have to start with Farman in goal. I know that Allsop has looked more solid and has made less errors but his kicking and distribution are woeful.

I've never before seen a suggestion that you play a specific, and currently 2nd choice, goalkeeper to link up with a big man up front! And apart from the Crewe game I think Allsop' s distribution has been far better than Farman's. To imply that Rhead doesn't receive the ball other than from a long ball from Farman could be viewed as an undeserved insult to the the rest of the team.

Sorry Ruskingtony but that's a disagree 100% from me.

Allsop's kicking against Crewe wasn't great because of the state of the pitch. My heart was constantly in my mouth as the ball bounced and bobbled its way back towards his boot - an embarrassing disaster waiting to happen, and I'm sure Danny Baker is waiting eagerly to receive such footage for his next Christmas DVD. I think Allsop himself was aware of it and was holding back slightly in order to get the best possible connection, rather than trying to boot the cover off the ball and risk an error.

I don't know if anything can be done about the pitch, but the players from both sides were generally struggling to control the ball last Saturday.

And I'm not sure you can really play a goalkeeper recently prone to errors simply because he kicks the ball a bit further than anyone else.

The weather probably played a part too.
Our own pitch seemed to affect us more than our opponents on Saturday.
Talking of our pitch, no wonder its in such a state, theory trained on it on Tuesday!!!
Totally crazy!!!
It's a rest not constantly being used, the sooner the training ground is ready the better.

Improvise - 1/3/2018 09:18

Ruskingtony - 1/3/2018 07:47

If Danny starts with Rhead up front on Saturday , and I don't think we have any alternative. Then I feel we have to start with Farman in goal. I know that Allsop has looked more solid and has made less errors but his kicking and distribution are woeful.

I've never before seen a suggestion that you play a specific, and currently 2nd choice, goalkeeper to link up with a big man up front! And apart from the Crewe game I think Allsop' s distribution has been far better than Farman's. To imply that Rhead doesn't receive the ball other than from a long ball from Farman could be viewed as an undeserved insult to the the rest of the team.

Sorry Ruskingtony but that's a disagree 100% from me.

John Beck once dropped Barry Richardson and reinstated John Vaughan due to lack of goals.

I think the Crewe game was a one off, up until then I thought Allsops kicking / distribution was spot on.

Skip155 - 1/3/2018 08:35

I tend to agree with skip, if anything Farman's kicking is the more unpredictable of the two. Yes Farman has a longer kick but far too often it goes straight out of play. Besides I don't think basing our attacking play on our goalkeepers distribution is the way to go. Frankly we have good ball players who should be hitting Rhead muxh more regularly than at present...

I’d stay with Allsop for now as overall the better compromise. Yes his kicking has been patchy and not just in the Crewe game. However Farman, whilst having distance can end up anywhere and Allsop commands his box better and gets off his line.

If that's the tactic we're aspiring to there doesn't seem much point of a midfield, or fullbacks for that matter, or wingers. In fact, why not just put Farman and Rhead on the teamsheet and give the rest of the team the weekend off?

It`s all a matter of opinions on where we need to go on tactics but Allsop cannot be faulted for the opposition`s goals on Saturday and he also produced a wondersave to keep the score finally down to 1-4
To counter the attacking left back Haynes play Super Ollie up front with Green and be aware how they will build attacks down their leftside.....CLOSE FROM THE FRONT....not possible with Rhead.

Sit on DOYLE their playmaker and captain,recently when he was injured they went on a losing streak....job for Whitehouse.
Their playing surface is poor like Sinny Bank...a strength sapper(.use 3 subs)
Task marker on mcNulty but if we take care of the other 2 mentioned he will get less opportunities in front of goal.