retained list..... Who will Evans decide to try and keep | Page 2 | Vital Football

retained list..... Who will Evans decide to try and keep

Our squad is small so would be reluctant to offload many of our players.

Hanlan is youngish at nearly 23 and offers something different to Mandron and Akinde so i would be looking to keep and develop. As others have said if he were able to convert a greater number of the chances he gets or creates he would be a real asset

RCC often changes games when he comes on and is also 23 so would be seeking to keep him.

Ehmer is a no-brainer and should be kept especially if Tucker and/or Ogilvie leave in the summer for a bag of cash.

Fuller to be retained on a 12 month contract. We need a back up right back but Barry has been a star again this season.

Pringle has struggled to maintain a place in the starting line up so like Mark Marshall i can see him moving on.

Of the loanees that we have left, I would try and keep Jones and Roberts but would let Lee, O'Conner and Graham return.

We will also have Cisse returning from Leyton Orient but doubt he will figure and can see contract being cancelled and him signing for a league 2 club (perhaps the Os)

I would retain Byrne provided he is fit for the start of the new season. Willock offers something different in midfield. I would like to see him have a full pre-season and start the season for us. I think he may have the quality we have often failed to show in midfield.

I am sure Steve Evans will have a different view though so the summer will be interesting once the transfer window opens. No doubt we will have a lot of loanees again

If Evans moves on we will find out who he rats because he'll be back to sign them. That's the worst case scenario for me because we would need start from scratch with a relatively small budget and a new manager.

The loanees are impossible to guess because it will be as much about the parent club's wishes as ours. I will be surprised if we don't offer Hanlan a new contract but I will be equally surprised if he does not get other offers, ditto Ehmer. Players getting very little game time towards the end of the season all look likely to be released while Evans is in charge. He makes decisions on players and moves them on.

Lets try a with and without Evans version (no prizes for guessing what I'd prefer!)

Without Evans: Retain - Fuller, Tucker, Ehmer, Byrne, O'Keefe, RCC, Willock Hanlon, Akinde, Mandron and g/k's

With Evans: Retain - Ogilvie, Ehmer, O'Keefe, Willock, Lee, O'Connor , Akinde and g/k's with Fuller (coach) [Lee and O'C converted to perm]

I cant see us getting either of the soton boys they seem highly rated.

Lee and the ipswich Jordan are possible. Akinde is still under contract and I hope ogilve is too

Evans said in one interview that Barry Fuller keeps getting younger. I don't know if that's scientifically possible but I've no reason to doubt anything Evans says. I expect Barry to be with us for the next fifteen years on that basis.
Nah, you don't win anything with kids in the team 😉

If SE's budget is as tight as he claims then I don't think he will get rid of the likes of Fuller but, rather, fill gaps in areas where the team is weak and I am sure we'll see the odd midfielder leave

I cannot see any reason why Byrne would be retained. One of our most over-rated players who hasn't been missed. As evidenced by results there are better options.

Whereas Hanlon is one of the few players who constantly works and worries opposing defenders. If he was more effective in front of goal then we wouldn't have the option of retaining him! At our level he is exactly what I want, someone who gives 100% every game, never stops trying, and always has the potential to make things happen. Give him an offer now I say.

I cannot see any reason why Byrne would be retained. One of our most over-rated players who hasn't been missed. As evidenced by results there are better options.

The only problem being that the current "better options" are not our players. 3 of our most used 4 in midfield "better options" are loan players ,at least 2 of whom almost certainly won't be here next season.

Very odd the reason you give for keeping Hanlon is one of Byrne's qualities too, he never stops working and he clearly impressed SE as up until his injury was pretty much an ever present.

The only problem being that the current "better options" are not our players. 3 of our most used 4 in midfield "better options" are loan players ,at least 2 of whom almost certainly won't be here next season.

Not a problem with Evans in charge, due to his connections and knowledge. By freeing up Byrnes wages we have the ability to bring in better replacements on loan or permanently as he has done this season.

Agreed Byrne works hard, but in my opinion he adds little to midfield, with no creativity, and no real defensive qualities. Simply a competent lower league midfielder reaching the end of his career, and I think we have seen this season that we can recruit better.

My point was that whilst Hanlon is frustrating in his end product he does have pace and strength to worry defenders, and in my opinion that's bloody hard to find in the open market. At his relatively young age, with coaching on his finishing, and a little bit of luck, there is the potential to add goals and become a very useful and valuable asset.

Very odd the reason you give for keeping Hanlon is one of Byrne's qualities too, he never stops working and he clearly impressed SE as up until his injury was pretty much an ever present.
Agree Captain, no one gives more than Byrne, I can't see why so many on here slag him off!

Not a problem with Evans in charge, due to his connections and knowledge. By freeing up Byrnes wages we have the ability to bring in better replacements on loan or permanently as he has done this season.

Agreed Byrne works hard, but in my opinion he adds little to midfield, with no creativity, and no real defensive qualities. Simply a competent lower league midfielder reaching the end of his career, and I think we have seen this season that we can recruit better.

My point was that whilst Hanlon is frustrating in his end product he does have pace and strength to worry defenders, and in my opinion that's bloody hard to find in the open market. At his relatively young age, with coaching on his finishing, and a little bit of luck, there is the potential to add goals and become a very useful and valuable asset.

But SE appears to rate Byrne, it's you that doesn't. Up to the point of his injury Byrne was a regular starter under SE ahead of some if the players he brought in.

Composure and finishing is not something you can coach IMO. If Hanlon could finish and had an end product I agree, he probably wouldn't be here, but the fact he doesn't is the very reason he is here. Is he any better as a player than when he arrived, probably, but is he still missing chances and not doing simple things well, yes.