results tonight | Page 4 | Vital Football

results tonight

Don't get what booing achieves but we have had far less talented squads and individuals that have had a far better work ethic, desire application and generally been more likeable.

As for the Flanagan era, fans may not have booed then, they just flocked outside the main stand after games chanting "we want Flanagan out"🤣
I think you made the last bit up.
I've no recollection whatsoever of any fans flocking outside the main stand chanting.
I walked home past the main stand after every home game to my mates house and only remember hearing some grumbling as everyone shot off home as quickly as possible.
In the pub later might have been a different matter

I think you made the last bit up.
I've no recollection whatsoever of any fans flocking outside the main stand chanting.
I walked home past the main stand after every home game to my mates house and only remember hearing some grumbling as everyone shot off home as quickly as possible.
In the pub later might have been a different matter
Flanagan - might have just wanted the buffet topping up. No-one called it quiche-lorraine back then......

I am not the type to boo players or performances apart from maybe the Wycombe away relegation match which was proper frustrating when we completely melted.

I won’t boo the team on Saturday but another lacklustre performance and I certainly won’t be applauding their efforts at full time either.

I fully support the team during matches but can’t understand clapping the team off after poor performances like Forest Green at home we’ve had this season either, comes across drippy to me.

If the players put in the hard graft and still don’t get the result then I stay to applaud them off like Grimsby at home we drew but actually played well and were unlucky. UTG.

What's to call out? Despite their best efforts the team have missed out on the playoffs.
For whatever reason things haven't gone to plan but we still look like finishing above our position last year.
The owners and manager in particular, have every right to criticise when they think standards have dropped. Though preferably not in public.
Fans don't need to call anyone out, their employers already have.
Why shouldn't we? Our season and matchday tickets, merchandise, food and drink purchases pay a fair percentage of their wages. What do you want on a comments forum? Everyone saying everything and every one is brilliant when it's not? And in saying that, I am not advocating booing players or abuse.

Take for example, Jonny Williams and Timmy Dieng. Look at Williams' CV. Regular for Charlton in League One; quite a few international caps. One of Swindon's best players last season and scored 10+ I recall, but this season he's been average, scored no league goals and doesn't seem to be able to last more than 60 minutes (at the age of 29). We got Dieng from League One Exeter last season, where he was the player of the season the season before, scoring 14 and they wanted to keep him, but we enacted a release clause and paid a significant fee and I daresay both he and Williams are on a good wage. He's looked lame all season and only score 1/2(?) goals. These are just two examples and more in addition to those I mention above, who haven't played to anywhere near their potential this season. I see nothing wrong with stating that opinion.

Genuine question. Why?

In my experience, the players care a darn sight more than many fans give them credit for. They know if the team has done well or not.

Is the piling on trying to motivate them? They're human beings - is that what would motivate you?

I've been massively peeved watching Gills on many occasions - this year too. But I still always wait and clap them off because that's our team and they're our boys. (Sure, I then moan about it in the car on the way home but who doesn't)

Why clap off a team that hasn't performed ? Different if beaten by a better team but its a poor performance e.g. Harrogate do they deserve a clap ? I don't think we should sugar coat poor performance. The most successful teams don't. I can't imagine the likes of Alex Ferguson or Tony Pulis applauded their players after a poor performance.

You asked why do I understand that some choose to boo so let me answer that.

When they play well the players love the adulation and the "fist pumps" at the end of the game. Fair enough they deserve it so equally when they underperform why shouldn't they accept the crowd showing their displeasure at the lack of entertainment e.g. aimless hoofs up the field, sideways, backwards rather than show the some desire to get forward and score a goal.

I don't think people should boo during the game, I think we should support throughout the game. At the end though - cheers and adulation when they've done well and I understand those who choose to show displeasure through booing.

There are times when fans shouldn't e.g. beaten by a better team fair and square, when the team is playing kids due to off the field issues e.g. when Bolton visited us a few years back.

There are times where its valid though - capitulation without much fight (Wycombe relegation springs to mind) is a prime example, a complete lack of effort (JET) another.

I guess the main difference is I don't agree with unconditional support. The players need to do something to deserve the applause and adulation. 100% effort and some attacking intent is the minimum I expect.

Hopefully its applause after the next three games. I agree that Boos don't help but its down to the performance on the pitch to prevent them.

There are times where its valid though - capitulation without much fight (Wycombe relegation springs to mind) is a prime example, a complete lack of effort (JET) another.

Wycombe away was over ten years ago and JET about eight as a guess.

I try to make a point of booing once every five years or so.

I like to show support but at the same time don’t want people getting too comfortable and start taking the piss.

I use the same tactic for my family.

Why shouldn't we? Our season and matchday tickets, merchandise, food and drink purchases pay a fair percentage of their wages. What do you want on a comments forum? Everyone saying everything and every one is brilliant when it's not? And in saying that, I am not advocating booing players or abuse.

Take for example, Jonny Williams and Timmy Dieng. Look at Williams' CV. Regular for Charlton in League One; quite a few international caps. One of Swindon's best players last season and scored 10+ I recall, but this season he's been average, scored no league goals and doesn't seem to be able to last more than 60 minutes (at the age of 29). We got Dieng from League One Exeter last season, where he was the player of the season the season before, scoring 14 and they wanted to keep him, but we enacted a release clause and paid a significant fee and I daresay both he and Williams are on a good wage. He's looked lame all season and only score 1/2(?) goals. These are just two examples and more in addition to those I mention above, who haven't played to anywhere near their potential this season. I see nothing wrong with stating that opinion.
Dieng has scored 3 in the league plus 1 vs Charlton in the FA Cup - I think he’s got better in recent weeks after a slowish start to the season.

There’s no denying Williams’ stats have been shocking though, a player our director of football pushed for us to sign (so he said himself).

Does that stop him from showing attacking intent when losing in the final minutes of games. Would rather go down fighting and chance losing by an extra goal.
Well Jerry, that entirely depends on just how much "authority" the manager has during a match.

Some might say (as is their perogative) that it's a daft conspiracy theory. But I've seen it applied in other circumstances, so I'll stick with it for the time being. The thing that I keep coming back to is how good we were for the second half of last season. And while I can understand the replacement of Harris to go for a "new direction", how come it appears to be no obvious improvement? In fact it seems to be exactly the same trajectory. Under 2 (very?) different "gaffers".

Only time and the relevant Autobiographies will possibly tell. It is unfortunate that an autobiography covering the last period when we had a Director of Football won't ever appear.

Why clap off a team that hasn't performed ? Different if beaten by a better team but its a poor performance e.g. Harrogate do they deserve a clap ? I don't think we should sugar coat poor performance. The most successful teams don't. I can't imagine the likes of Alex Ferguson or Tony Pulis applauded their players after a poor performance.

You asked why do I understand that some choose to boo so let me answer that.

When they play well the players love the adulation and the "fist pumps" at the end of the game. Fair enough they deserve it so equally when they underperform why shouldn't they accept the crowd showing their displeasure at the lack of entertainment e.g. aimless hoofs up the field, sideways, backwards rather than show the some desire to get forward and score a goal.

I don't think people should boo during the game, I think we should support throughout the game. At the end though - cheers and adulation when they've done well and I understand those who choose to show displeasure through booing.

There are times when fans shouldn't e.g. beaten by a better team fair and square, when the team is playing kids due to off the field issues e.g. when Bolton visited us a few years back.

I guess the main difference is I don't agree with unconditional support. The players need to do something to deserve the applause and adulation. 100% effort and some attacking intent is the minimum I expect.

Hopefully its applause after the next three games. I agree that Boos don't help but its down to the performance on the pitch to prevent them.

Interesting take and appreciate you sharing it. I think that bit in your last line sums it all up nicely for me.

Players know when they laid an egg. They have professional pride. I just personally would rather give them a clap because honestly, I think they'll be more keen to put things right that way than fans spittin' feathers.

Plus, that's our team.

Genuine question, is it entitled, impatient, childish, embarrassing or demanding to have believed this particular squad to be capable of:

1. Not being the lowest scorers in the division for the third season running?

2. Managing to score a first half goal in more than 6 of our 21 home fixtures to date

3. Leaving the fans of the view that we were comprehensively the better side in a game on more than bare handful of occasions this season?

See, the language used at the start of this comment has been used by others on this thread to describe those who aren't happy with this season, it's both divisive and unnecessary.

I don't see the doubters having a pop in similar terms at those who seem to think us fans shouldn't be allowed to be critical and only be positive, to put up and shut up, that expending many hours and pounds of our time and money supporting the team then doesn't offer us the opportunity to put forth our views that differ from their own when it doesn't pan out.

I think this season has been poor given the financial outlay and ownership comments in pre-season. I suspect an awful lot of fans feel the same way. That's not being entitled, childish, embarrassing, impatient or demanding given all the facts at our disposal.

*dons tin hat

Well Jerry, that entirely depends on just how much "authority" the manager has during a match.

Some might say (as is their perogative) that it's a daft conspiracy theory. But I've seen it applied in other circumstances, so I'll stick with it for the time being. The thing that I keep coming back to is how good we were for the second half of last season. And while I can understand the replacement of Harris to go for a "new direction", how come it appears to be no obvious improvement? In fact it seems to be exactly the same trajectory. Under 2 (very?) different "gaffers".

Only time and the relevant Autobiographies will possibly tell. It is unfortunate that an autobiography covering the last period when we had a Director of Football won't ever appear.
As a minimum i would think that he at least normally has a say over the timing and choice of substitutes in a game and whether to go all out for a win in the last minutes.

Interesting take and appreciate you sharing it. I think that bit in your last line sums it all up nicely for me.

Players know when they laid an egg. They have professional pride. I just personally would rather give them a clap because honestly, I think they'll be more keen to put things right that way than fans spittin' feathers.

Plus, that's our team.

Perhaps that's the elephant in the room. For the first time in ages we've actually spent money on players and they are on decent wages if you believe what you read. Have the likes of Nadesan, Lapslie, Walker, J Williams, Dieng and Hawkins earnt those wages. There are very few (if any) in this squad that will be spoken about in years to come.

As many have said over the season its quite a dislikeable team. Its ironic that off the field all is sunny and bright for the first time in ages but this squad is a far from it.

I'm hoping that a key signing in the summer is a real captain - someone who will demand high performance and desire from the players. Ehmer is an OK league 2 player but an inspirational captain, not for me.

It's our club but I'm not sure I feel that this team is one I want to remember for very long.

It's all relative though. Previous Gills teams who struggled were when we didn't have a pot to piss in and the players (such as those 30 odd years ago) frankly were useless and we knew it. The likes of Jonny Williams, Hutton, Mahoney, Lapslie, Dieng, Masterson, Ehmer and the now departed Nichols and Bonne (I could name more) are not useless and have played at a higher level. Failure is acceptable. Players playing to nowhere near their ability and often being beaten by less talented and experienced players (probably often on less money) this season is not acceptable and should be called out (and it has by the owner and manager on several occasions too), albeit that we should fully support them come Saturday. I'll certainly be there doing so.
Wot ST says.

Even back in 92/3 I didn't feel pissed off with the team. This season they have failed to play anywhere near their proven ability on multiple occasions.

Genuine question, is it entitled, impatient, childish, embarrassing or demanding to have believed this particular squad to be capable of:

1. Not being the lowest scorers in the division for the third season running?

2. Managing to score a first half goal in more than 6 of our 21 home fixtures to date

3. Leaving the fans of the view that we were comprehensively the better side in a game on more than bare handful of occasions this season?

See, the language used at the start of this comment has been used by others on this thread to describe those who aren't happy with this season, it's both divisive and unnecessary.

I don't see the doubters having a pop in similar terms at those who seem to think us fans shouldn't be allowed to be critical and only be positive, to put up and shut up, that expending many hours and pounds of our time and money supporting the team then doesn't offer us the opportunity to put forth our views that differ from their own when it doesn't pan out.

I think this season has been poor given the financial outlay and ownership comments in pre-season. I suspect an awful lot of fans feel the same way. That's not being entitled, childish, embarrassing, impatient or demanding given all the facts at our disposal.

*dons tin hat
If the team put in the effort that you do, persistently, in your match previews we'd already be promoted.

I don't see the doubters having a pop in similar terms at those who seem to think us fans shouldn't be allowed to be critical and only be positive, to put up and shut up

We all know nobody has said you - or anyone else - can't be critical.

As with all things, being measured and cognisant of all the factors helps.
"CLeM iS rUBbiSh SaCk HiM nOw" probably isn't that helpful (not saying you personally - just the sentiment).

But there are plenty who offer constructive criticism on here, myself included!

Plus, that's our team.
I think you've had a drink too many! You're talking B......... These players, in retrospect know that most of them have been poor. So much so, that I deliberated before buying my season ticket. If next season is as poor, that's it for me, I will watch up the Chatham Maidstone Road.

As a minimum i would think that he at least normally has a say over the timing and choice of substitutes in a game and whether to go all out for a win in the last minutes.
Well I would kind of agree with you. The last 3 goals we conceded at Harrogate largely came because we had a lot of players in their half. And we were outdone by cutting passes that left what meagre defenders we had exposed. My view is that even if we put the majority of our team in attack, we aren't good enough to cause concern to most other defences.

Add into that the likelihood (I have no evidence for my next statement) that certain loanees are only here because we have guaranteed a certain amount of playing time.

Well I would kind of agree with you. The last 3 goals we conceded at Harrogate largely came because we had a lot of players in their half. And we were outdone by cutting passes that left what meagre defenders we had exposed. My view is that even if we put the majority of our team in attack, we aren't good enough to cause concern to most other defences.

Add into that the likelihood (I have no evidence for my next statement) that certain loanees are only here because we have guaranteed a certain amount of playing time.
Agree in general but if you need to win and theres only minutes to go then why not just put the extra striker or big guy up in a 2 and pump the ball up. Its worked for a hundred years or so lol. No evidence but its at least exciting.

Agree in general but if you need to win and theres only minutes to go then why not just put the extra striker or big guy up in a 2 and pump the ball up. Its worked for a hundred years or so lol. No evidence but its at least exciting.
You've got me thinking now (always dangerous).

Why don't we move Hawkins to centre back alongside Ogie. And put Ehmer and Masterson up front for our last 3 games?

Can't be any worse.