Removing TV Shows Because Of Racism | Vital Football

Removing TV Shows Because Of Racism

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13556

Seems that anything that has any slight racist remark in it is being removed! All it needs is a disclaimer of what could have been seen as funny at the time maybe not seen in the same light now! Been watching old episodes of Love Thy Neighbour...Its seen now as racist, but the show was anti racist as it always made Harry the white guy out to be an idiot which was always the intention! The Fawlty Towers German episode has been removed too!
On another note Mrs Brown’s Boys has been removed from BBC iPlayer because its fucking shit!

On another note Mrs Brown’s Boys has been removed from BBC iPlayer because its fucking shit!

Since it is a guy who otherwise identifies as male dressing up as a woman for comedic reasons, I believe the show is problematic with the trans community.

I say believe as the article I read that claimed this wasn't published on on PinkNews so might not be truly representative of the trans community at large.

Seems that anything that has any slight racist remark in it is being removed! All it needs is a disclaimer of what could have been seen as funny at the time maybe not seen in the same light now! Been watching old episodes of Love Thy Neighbour...Its seen now as racist, but the show was anti racist as it always made Harry the white guy out to be an idiot which was always the intention!

That's right but wasn't the white guy called Eddie? From memory the black guy gave as good as he got (Honky, etc) and there was a genuine friendship bordering upon a bromance between the two.

Technically racist I suppose but absolutely no undercurrent of racial hatred.

I wonder if they will ban repeats of the Lenny Henry show due to the stereotypical depictions of Fred Dread and Theopilis Wilderbeest?

Those removing the Fawlty Towers episode The Germans have missed the entire point of the storyline of the episode.

The worrying thing is the level of censorship. TV companies and broadcasters are deciding what people can and can't watch. What would be next, censorship of the news? Burning books that dont fit an agenda (we've seen that before in history).

One of my favourite all time films is The Dambusters. Guy Gibson's dog's name now likely to be removed. It is in fact true that the dog was run over on the day of the Dambusters Raid and the dog's name was used as a code word to signify the breaching of the Dam in that raid.

Dad's Army has been repeated endlessly on the bbc for decades. Many well known figures have said its the best sitcom of all time. Corporal Jones of course uses 'inappropriate language'. However the point is to portray that he is stuck in the past when colonial wars were a thing and therefore out of touch with the way the latest war was being conducted.

That's right but wasn't the white guy called Eddie? From memory the black guy gave as good as he got (Honky, etc) and there was a genuine friendship bordering upon a bromance between the two.

Technically racist I suppose but absolutely no undercurrent of racial hatred.

I wonder if they will ban repeats of the Lenny Henry show due to the stereotypical depictions of Fred Dread and Theopilis Wilderbeest?
Black people cannot be racist GBN

Seems that anything that has any slight racist remark in it is being removed! All it needs is a disclaimer of what could have been seen as funny at the time maybe not seen in the same light now! Been watching old episodes of Love Thy Neighbour...Its seen now as racist, but the show was anti racist as it always made Harry the white guy out to be an idiot which was always the intention! The Fawlty Towers German episode has been removed too!
Yes, Mrs Brown's boys is definitely the worst. Offensive to all races/creeds etc.

Many of these old programmes should wither on the vine so as to speak. If shown then a disclaimer would be needed imo. I'm a bit uncomfortable with these blanket bans. How about Shakespeare's plays, the Merchant of Venice for starters. Is anyone saying that should be banned?

This is a really tough subject though and not clear cut either way I believe. As a classic white middle class person who has led a very privileged life it is easy for me to say don't ban. I haven't been on the receiving end of this prejudice and stereotyping.

Hopefully we can all move on from this old, outdated rubbish. Some of the racism shown has the perpetrator as the fool, eg David Brent, so if that were banned it would miss the point of the programme.

Black people cannot be racist GBN

What a racist thing to say! Of course black people can be racist. Some black people are racist.

We need to fight racism through education and understanding. Trying to combat it with political correctness will just lead to a new fascism.

The statue coming down should have been the start of something good but I'm now fearing that it has been the start of something bad. I'm very disappointed.

The offensive part that got the episode banned was this scene

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS RACIALLY OFFENSIVE TERMS.

It is perfectly understandable as to why people would call for it to be banned

Yeah, that scene is shirley racist and unnecessary.

This is undoubtedly a very tricky subject, and as nitram said, things are not always as clear cut as they might seem.

The offensive part that got the episode banned was this scene

WARNING: VIDEO CONTAINS RACIALLY OFFENSIVE TERMS.

It is perfectly understandable as to why people would call for it to be banned

But you have to watch that in context of the episode as a whole which was a critique of outdated prejudice, mainly against the germans but also against women, health professionals and others. The conversation preceding the major's outburst is about men's understanding women and the patronising attitude men have when explaining cricket to them.

The reasonableness of the german characters is contrasted by basil and the major's unreasonableness:

"Forgive and forget major, eh - good knows why the bastards".

But you have to watch that in context of the episode as a whole which was a critique of outdated prejudice, mainly against the germans but also against women, health professionals and others. The conversation preceding the major's outburst is about men's understanding women and the patronising attitude men have when explaining cricket to them.

The reasonableness of the german characters is contrasted by basil and the major's unreasonableness:

"Forgive and forget major, eh - good knows why the bastards".

Brilliant, mick, that is exactly it! I'm so glad you posted that.

Everything is about context.

Racism cannot be banned or censored. That scene, when taken out of context is utterly racist and unnecessary. But when taken it's considered in context things are not so clear cut.

If taking down Little Britain from Netflix means that less people will be knifed in London, then I'm all for it

"As a classic white middle class person who has led a very privileged life ..."

I say ban 58, and not for his privilege but for the offense he has given to our sensibilities. I say this, of course, as a white middle class male person. I could try to say it as a black, upper class woman, but I'd be lying -to myself as much as anyone else.

Other than that, I agree with him entirely on why banning is bad, and would be prepared to defend his right to express himself as a the bearer of a series of gendered socio-political identities, although probably not to the death.

The statue coming down should have been the start of something good but I'm now fearing that it has been the start of something bad. I'm very disappointed.

It's not difficult to predict that things may get out of hand , but BLM/Antifa aren't the brightest of folk.
Be careful what you wish for.

What a racist thing to say! Of course black people can be racist. Some black people are racist.

While most people define racism as "the act of treating people different based upon the colour of their skin", in social justice terminology racism is defined as "treating people differently based upon the colour of their skin from a position of power".

Since SJWs will argue that white people hold all the power and black people are the oppressed with no power then therefore black people can't be racist.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/09/can-white-people-experience-racism-12340542/

https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/dear-white-people-why-black-people-cant-be-racist/1960206

https://archive.voice-online.co.uk/article/can-black-people-be-racist

https://www.thecrimson.com/column/between-the-lines/article/2018/8/10/gao-who-can-be-racist/

For as long as there are those arguing that only one skin colour can be racist and the other can't be, there will always be race related tension. It is only when people stop caring about skin colour and realise people can be buttholes regardless of race, gender, sexuality and treat people on the merits of their personality rather than unchangeable features they were born with will humanity move forward.

We need to fight racism through education and understanding. Trying to combat it with political correctness will just lead to a new fascism.

The statue removal should have been the start of something good?
It was almost inevitable that wouldn’t be the case.
Whipping up a mob never ends well because it can be counter acted by another mob with opposing views.

There is nothing that makes the BLM violent protesters any more valid than far right violent protesters .
They both think that they are right.
It just depends on your personal view.

Had the entire BLM protests been passive, it may have been a different story but that bird has flown.

There is a possibility that the far right will take to the streets to ‘defend’
Inevitably Antifa will oppose and the wheel keeps on turning, pitching working class people against each other.
You won’t find many rich folk on either side of that argument.

"As a classic white middle class person who has led a very privileged life ..."

I say ban 58, and not for his privilege but for the offense he has given to our sensibilities. I say this, of course, as a white middle class male person. I could try to say it as a black, upper class woman, but I'd be lying -to myself as much as anyone else.

Actually you are more than welcome to identify as black (aka Rachel Dolezal) or as a woman if you want. And if someone says you look like a white male then just accuse them of being a racist misogynist who is being violent with their misgendering and racism. And if they look at you as if you are crazy then I am sure you can phone up The Guardian and be featured in an article.

Eddie Murphy did a stand up show in the 80's called Delirious as well as some very funny films. In them he frequently takes the p*** out of white men (small dicks, no dress sense, crap music and funny voices etc) and also plays the part of a number of white characters.
Genuine question, is that racist?
My take on it is that it isn't, it was actually quite funny. I'm a great believer that humour is humour and as long as its not being used to deliberately offend or ridicule then it's OK (none of the above appear to have made the news for being pulled from any listing.)

The statue removal should have been the start of something good?
It was almost inevitable that wouldn’t be the case.
Whipping up a mob never ends well because it can be counter acted by another mob with opposing views.

There is nothing that makes the BLM violent protesters any more valid than far right violent protesters .
They both think that they are right.
It just depends on your personal view.

Had the entire BLM protests been passive, it may have been a different story but that bird has flown.

There is a possibility that the far right will take to the streets to ‘defend’
Inevitably Antifa will oppose and the wheel keeps on turning, pitching working class people against each other.
You won’t find many rich folk on either side of that argument.

Yeah, you may be right. I was hopeful. I always try to be. The way this has been latched onto by the political correctness fascists is very disappointing.

I still maintain that the Colston statue toppling was (or at least should have been) something different to all this bullshit now happening in the wake of it.

Actually, it's all pissed me off quite considerably!