Remember this? Reading v Wigan. I'd prefer not o. | Vital Football

Remember this? Reading v Wigan. I'd prefer not o.

Ihaventaclue

Vital Youth Team
You Folks have been so kind to me with your comments I thought I'd trawl another match report up from the archives. Thanks so much. (There are plenty more - a Wordpress blog of them)!!

Match Report.
We can learn from THREE.

To be a great Wigan supporter you need 3 things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone

There was optimism in the air around me. Wigan were playing Reading and it seemed as if today was the day Wigan history would be made. We’d see a Wigan away win and therefore some goals. Not being superstitious I guessed three. My ParkRun time was 23.33 and I came in 133. The train left at 11.33. The pub next to Reading railway station is called ‘The Three Guineas’ so I had 3 halves, one more than my usual TwoHalves. The tastiest was ‘DayDreamer’. Ali Al Habsi was on the front of the programme, so the Omans were good. What I didn’t notice was my seat number on the train was 32 and not 23.

Then we got going and yes, it was looking good. I met my friends, I met a new football friend in the pub who insisted on a 3rd pint before kick-off and I agreed with Massey’s Mum that if we scored, I could hug her; she thought it was a safe bet! I knew different. For a long time we played some good football, with Nick Powell putting in some sublime passes, which were just too good for his team mates. Callum Mc would have known. In fact, it was great to see a real desire from the boys on the pitch.

The ref of course had a brilliant game; Three inspiring decisions which highlighted to us all that FIFA have introduced a new rule which says, “a ball cannot be taken from an attackers’ foot; a foul should be given if there is no bodily contact”. He didn’t seem to worry when 1 of our guys got a Rooney-esque v McCarthy off ball clout around the face and he enjoyed Reading’s desire to repeat history with their attempts to break at least someone’s leg.

The ref, for his 3rd inspirational decision gave away a pass back to our keeper, but he failed to realise that the rule 33 was invoked which said 'when a Reading player takes the ball, irrespective of the decision, and scores, the goal is allowed'..

Then we had 3 managerial decisions. Three inspirational substitutions, removing 3 players who were doing just fine and replacing them with 3 ………. And you decide what to put here.

“Great leadership involves three things. The ability to realize when you are wrong, a willingness to learn from it, and an eagerness to change course if necessary.”

It was a multiple of 3 minutes extra time. The score couldn’t stay 2 – 2, simply because there isn’t a 3 to be seen. So rather than pull the shutters down, shut up shop and play keep ball our good old friends in yellow decide to give a corner away when if the ball had been left it’d have for a goal kick.

Satisfaction. With the last effective kick of the game from a corner the 3 appears. Without that this match report could not have been written. Thanks Boys …. NOT!!

BUT, remember, when supporting Wigan you need 3 things: Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. HHHmmmmm doesn’t feel as if I have much of that this morning!!

Another nice read, mate! May I ask though, what exactly is the connection between yourself and Massey's parents?

The only connection is that by chance I sat next to them at Reading, and I knew it was they because 1. I sat next to them last season at Doncaster and had a little chat, and 2. I introduced myself to them with a pre-emptive apology for my occasional over exuberance. I did tell his Mum that 'from where I come from, if someone scores we all get a hug, so I gained her permission, to which she replied 'only if Gavin scores', which I ignored. 3. Added to that - it does nothing more than add to the story and the drivel I spew out!

Thanks for your kind comments!

The only connection is that by chance I sat next to them at Reading, and I knew it was they because 1. I sat next to them last season at Doncaster and had a little chat, and 2. I introduced myself to them with a pre-emptive apology for my occasional over exuberance. I did tell his Mum that 'from where I come from, if someone scores we all get a hug, so I gained her permission, to which she replied 'only if Gavin scores', which I ignored. 3. Added to that - it does nothing more than add to the story and the drivel I spew out!

Thanks for your kind comments!

Haha so you just coincidentally happened to sit next to his parents in two separate games? I bet they couldn’t believe their luck! ?

And no worries man. Thanks for posting these reports; it gives me something to distract myself when I’m having a break from exam revision!