Remaining games | Vital Football

Remaining games

billytwodogs

Vital Squad Member
Out of the 11 games left we have to face 8 teams in the top half of the table, 7 of those are in the top 10 with 6 being in the top 7. The other 3 games are against sides in the bottom half of the table. Six of the games are at home and Five away.

Of those 11 games the reverse fixtures brought a total of 6pts, we lost 9, drew 0 and won 2. We scored 10 times and conceded 24, a -14 goal difference.

In comparison Crawley have 13 games remaining, 8 at home and 5 away. Out of those 13 games they play 5 teams in the top half of the table, 3 of those in the top 10, and only 1 in the top 7. The other 8 are against sides in the bottom half of the table, 4 of those are in the bottom 6, 2 of which are in the bottom 3. Their reverse fixtures accumulated 13 pts from 3 wins, 4 draws and 6 losses, conceding 20 times with 11 replies.

Not yet sure where I'm going with this as it does not make for good bed time reading, in fact it's the stuff of nightmares. I'm hoping those sides Crawley took points from want them back and those who have already beaten them want to do the double over them.

If this is going to be a 'great escape' it has to be better than the last one, it has to be a greater escape. Not just any great escape it's got to be an M&S great escape. Win the next two, regardless of what Crawley do, and the cat's amongst the pigeons.

Anyway to quote Nick Ross at the end of Crimewatch "don't have nightmares, do sleep well"
:red:

Scary statistics indeed Billy2, however football doesn't necessarily follow statistical trends. Until salvation becomes mathematically impossible we have to keep hoping that Pools can escape the inevitable.

This weekend's fixtures may well go a long way towards deciding the final outcome, if Pools can achieve an unlikely victory and Harrogate can continue their good away form a definite gap will start to open.
Though I do keep telling myself to stop hoping!

NSD

I suppose today's results just prove I'm rubbish at making predictions!
Pools are still able to escape the drop, but we must start to conjure some wins from somewhere to have any chance.

Suggests elsewhere there were two bad sides, backed up by Wimbledon as bad as we are on current form, no win in ten 4 draws & 6 losses, but with enough on the board, literally a bonus for Crawley.
If they fare better than we do in the next two games, bearing in mind they play Donny and Rochdale and we have Orient and Swindon, we could be in it up to our knees. It goes without saying we need wins, and a bit of luck.

Suggests elsewhere there were two bad sides, backed up by Wimbledon as bad as we are on current form, no win in ten 4 draws & 6 losses, but with enough on the board, literally a bonus for Crawley.
If they fare better than we do in the next two games, bearing in mind they play Donny and Rochdale and we have Orient and Swindon, we could be in it up to our knees. It goes without saying we need wins, and a bit of luck.
Can't argue with that. Askey has come close to working a miracle but he is only human and I think the mountain we face is just too high. If we can keep Askey we should be ok in the NL next season.

Trying to be realistic, the damage to Pools season was done prior to Christmas and for us to avoid relegation will require a small miracle.
Keeping Askey as manager going into next season, probably in NL, will allow for "proper" planning and give us the best opportunity for a challenge to return to the EFL.

Crawley drew tonight with Doncaster, but of more importance was Gillingham winning.
Think the relegation spots are now between Rochdale, Pools, Crawley and Colchester (plus possibly Harrogate).
Rochdale will find it very difficult to avoid the drop, a win on Saturday for them at Crawley will be essential for their survival hopes. Which could work in Pools favour.
Of the 4 teams above Colchester currently have the worse form.
I still can't see Pools avoiding being in the bottom two come season end! But there's still hope.

We need to start winning. Can see Crawley getting 4pts from the next two games, if we draw a blank points wise in our next two games we could be 6pts adrift of Crawley, if Colchester pick up a point we will be staring down both barrels with 7 games left.

Well, 5pts adrift, Crawley unbeaten in 5, 3 wins & 2 draws, us unable to buy a win. If the season was made into a film it would be ‘two bad managers and a funeral’.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but both Hartley and Curle had too much time in the role. The fires started by a totally incompetent Hartley were never extinguished by Curle and that has cost us our league status.

Eight games left, an absolute maximum of 3 winnable, if we remain unbeaten, winning those 3, we have a chance. Crawley may win 2 of their remaining game, it depends on how many draws they accumulate. Colchester may be the ones to look at, if they win Saturday it’s looking almost impossible for us. We both have to play Crawley.
If we win Saturday and others lose, there will be feathers everywhere but we need that elusive win just to pump prime us for the run in.
Keep your arms and legs inside the car at all times.

"Two bad managers and a funeral" made me laugh, though it is certainly gallows humour!
Survival is not impossible, yet, but Pools must start winning and hope those immediately above us start to struggle with the mounting pressure.

It's the hope that kills!